All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:28 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
we really need to upgrade our Pegasos2 (fw version 1.2 20040810112413) to 2GB ram. Can somebody tell/suggest me about 100% working ones? Brand/Type .
Any single 2GB unbuffered non-ECC module should work fine, but in reality.. they are really hard to find. If you had a 2B5 board (firmware 2005xxxx) then two 1GBs would have been fine. Older boards have some real trouble in this department.
Quote:
btw, did someone use PCI66 slot ?
None of the Pegasos PCI slots are 66MHz capable except the AGP slot. This is because for PCI slots to be 66MHz capable, every device on the bus needs to support it too, and the VT8231 is on that very same bus.. and it's a 33MHz device.

So unfortunately they will all run 33MHz.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:02 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
we really need to upgrade our Pegasos2 (fw version 1.2 20040810112413) to 2GB ram. Can somebody tell/suggest me about 100% working ones? Brand/Type .
Any single 2GB unbuffered non-ECC module should work fine, but in reality.. they are really hard to find. If you had a 2B5 board (firmware 2005xxxx) then two 1GBs would have been fine. Older boards have some real trouble in this department.
Rev. 2B3 and i'm actually unable to have more then 512MB. With two 512MBs it's totally unstable... then it's an own board revision limit. That's bad.
Quote:
Quote:
btw, did someone use PCI66 slot ?
None of the Pegasos PCI slots are 66MHz capable except the AGP slot. This is because for PCI slots to be 66MHz capable, every device on the bus needs to support it too, and the VT8231 is on that very same bus.. and it's a 33MHz device.

So unfortunately they will all run 33MHz.
oh, that's bad again.
Anyway, thanks for your detailed answer. It really helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:40 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Rev. 2B3 and i'm actually unable to have more then 512MB. With two 512MBs it's totally unstable... then it's an own board revision limit. That's bad.
You may be able to find something that works, but, basically 2B5 is the only one that doesn't have any problem.

My Pegasos is a 2B3 and it has 1GB of RAM in it. It may go up to 2GB.. but most people see weird segfaults in Linux, although memory testing apps seem to work just fine, at random.

You could try it. Crucial will sell a 2x1GB pack and they have a no-quibble returns policy and free shipping. We're even in the Manufacturer list (http://www.crucial.com/eu/)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:48 pm 

Hello everyone *waves*

Anyhow I've got a Pegasos 2 version 1.2 (20051216161829), I've fitted 2 gig of ram from that very link, Amiga OS4.1, MorphOS2.2 (only 1.5gig shown), and Debian Lenny.

Everything seemes to be working well, except.. On Amiga OS4.1 if I shove a load of files into Ram: it gets to about 512mb free then says disk is full with out of memory errors, both with and without Swap partition.

I ran memtester for AmigaOS4 for 8 hours and it said every thing was ok.

On MorphOS 2.2 it seems to work well, but if I run memtest it sort of crashes, or possibly runs really slowly, if that happens I can to a memtest on the remaining memory and it says that's fine. I can't workout how to "memtest 125mb" is that possible?

Any memtesters for Linux? I couldn't find any memtest? And the Interwebs all seem to suggest memtester86, which appears to be i386 only *sadface*.

Anyway, what I think I'm asking is can AmigaOS4.1 and MorphOS actually cope with 2gig?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:14 pm 

Quote:
Any memtesters for Linux? I couldn't find any memtest? And the Interwebs all seem to suggest memtester86, which appears to be i386 only *sadface*.
there is memtester. You can use it booting your PegasosII with a CRUX PPC iso.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:31 am 

Just tried it on Mupper, but it only seems to grab 720mb for some reason, don't quite understand that...

I might try all this again with 1.5 gig of memory, and if I've got time 1gig.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:12 am 

Quote:
Just tried it on Mupper, but it only seems to grab 720mb for some reason, don't quite understand that...
linux bootkernels most often don't have highmem support enabled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:10 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
linux bootkernels most often don't have highmem support enabled.
Sound like MS DOS! :roll-eye-balls:

Anyhow, I've just put in a 1 Gig stick and a 512meg stick, and I can now run memcheck in Morphos, and it says it's fine. When I copy files into the ram: disk on Amiga OS4.1 it gets to just about 0meg free it says disk is full and things stop working because of lack of memory, (worryingly SWAP doesn't seem to be working, I'm sure everythings correct, but I let that pass for the moment), but, Linux just died on me, both my Debian Hard Drive install, and the boot CD, weird kernal panics or it freezes on Hda, hmm...

Pulled out the 512, and I can boot from the Debian Install CD , odd...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:41 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Anyhow I've got a Pegasos 2 version 1.2 (20051216161829), I've fitted 2 gig of ram from that very link, Amiga OS4.1, MorphOS2.2 (only 1.5gig shown), and Debian Lenny.

Everything seemes to be working well, except.. On Amiga OS4.1 if I shove a load of files into Ram: it gets to about 512mb free then says disk is full with out of memory errors, both with and without Swap partition.
That's strange with that board revision and firmware. Do you have a 2B5, really? How do MorphOS and Debian hold up, you can run memory testers on both of them (they do exist) which should soak up all the memory..
Quote:
Anyway, what I think I'm asking is can AmigaOS4.1 and MorphOS actually cope with 2gig?
As far as I remember MorphOS only supports 1.5GB RAM, and maybe AmigaOS 4.1 has the same restriction. However with the board revision and firmware you're running, with paired matched RAM (which we have shipped to customers like Sun before, worked great) it shouldn't crash if you use the top 1GB - this is the kind of weirdness you'd get with older boards, but not the last revision.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:32 am 

It's not really crashing on MorphOS or AmigaOS it's just the memory testing tools going a bit odd, But as I say I tried it with 1.5, and 1 Gig and Debian Lenny just went weird on me, so I slapped in the full 2 gig and will live with that.

Just checked the board, and it says:-

Pegasos Dual PPC Public Release

REV: 2B5 (c)2001-2004 bplan GmbH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:54 am 

Right, ever since I took the top off to see what was written on the board, and doing nothing else, the poor Pegasos has had trouble in powering up with 2 sticks of memory in it, sometimes it does, sometimes it don't. (when I say powering up it turns on, but theres no output to the monitor that I can see)

So I've take one of the 1 gig sticks out, and I think that's the way it'll stay. As I say sometime it worked, but it's just a bit irritiating when it doesn't.

edited to add... Hang on, what's this!

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a366/ ... 020224.jpg

Hmm... more work required.... I'll get back to you about all this, once I've got to the bottom of this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:29 am 

Right, after much, much messing around, and I've now got a Quadupical boot of MorphOS, Amiga OS4.1 Debian 5, and SUSE 11.1, but the whole thing is a little flaky, espically with 2gig of ram, unless, the pegasos is at an angle. Specifically with the front lower than the back. At the moment is about 2 inches (5 cm) lower and it's working perfectly.

Is there any good reason for that, or have I gone mad?

EDITED TO ADD, I'm just experimenting with a different power supply... I'll report later if this fixes these weird problems.

PS Debian is much nice than KDE openSUSE, all in my personal view etc..

Last edited by Bettie_Page on Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:00 pm 

Quote:
PS Debian is much nice than KDE openSUSE, all in my personal view etc..
Well, for KDE4 the first thing I do is removing kde-branding-openSUSE and replace it with kde-branding-upstream :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:00 am 

Right, after much fiddling, new PSU, new Hard drive old ram, etc I've come to the decision that my Peg II is [removed rude words] broken.

Darn....

Anyone know where I can get one fixed pref. in the UK?