Code:
PC1: pci video adapter
PC2: pci usb2.0/firewire adapter

greetz,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:01 am 

http://www.powerdeveloper.org/forums/vi ... rt=45#4958
Neko said
It is NOT possible. The MPC5200B PCI bus only supports a single bus mastering PCI device, and a 3.3V one at that.

The addition of an onboard graphics chip precludes completely any other addon peripheral on the same bus, which is the primary reason that the PCI slot disappears on that version.

Any PCI riser you use MUST be single slot only, or if you must use a larger one, please only connect a single, 3.3V PCI card. 5V ones may destroy the board and the card (please read the MPC5200B manual from the Freescale site for more information)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:41 am 

The Efika info page on this very site says:

"The Efika includes a 66MHz 3.3V-keyed PCI slot. With the bundled 90 degrees riser, standard graphics cards can also be used. The PCI bus supports only a single device, so if multiple PCI cards are desired, a bridged riser card must be used to provide the correct signalling."

But why does the Freescale LITE5200B board have 2 slots (and 256 MB RAM)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:22 pm 

Correction here:

I believe it is not possible with a "PASSIVE" only riser card. There are several riser card solutions that incorporate PCI-PCI bridge chips. Using one of these should work fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:18 am 

yeah, i agree with Udance.

In theory an "active" dual riser pci card should work fine.

greetz,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:02 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
They use a clever trick to get two PCI slots to work which isn't really suitable for a consumer board. A lot of cards actually won't run reliably in it.

That's irrelevant how they did it to put two PCI slots on the board though; it's not the same as a PCI riser. A PCI riser will extend one slot (with one set of INT lines) into two or three (still with one set of INT lines), it does not carry any of the extra interrupt signals required to drive the second or third card properly.

The only reliable way to support multiple PCI bus masters on the 5200B - and especially on Efika using a riser - is with a PCI bridge chip.

It has 256MB RAM because they put 256MB RAM on it.

acrux, I am not sure your PCI card would work, if only because I don't know if it is 3.3V capable. Bridged cards are much harder to find in 3.3V IO.

http://www.premiercomputer.de/productip ... ber=750303

64-bit PCI, like AGP, is required to operate at 3.3V (as are 66MHz PCI cards). This riser will guarantee to work if it has a true PCI bridge on it, but it will extend the board lengthways, and the slots will point AWAY from the Efika board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:12 am 

Speaking of risers, i wonder if the supplied AGP riser card would work on another kind of computer since i don't have any use for it for my project.

Post subject: @ Neko
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:42 am 

Quote:
acrux, I am not sure your PCI card would work, if only because I don't know if it is 3.3V capable. Bridged cards are much harder to find in 3.3V IO.

64-bit PCI, like AGP, is required to operate at 3.3V (as are 66MHz PCI cards). This riser will guarantee to work if it has a true PCI bridge on it, but it will extend the board lengthways, and the slots will point AWAY from the Efika board.
thanks four your reply.
Yeah, i was talking about an "active" riser card (with switching logic).zoom+ picture
I'll contact Tranquil and Premier too to know about 3.3V because for our second approved Efika project we need a gpu and a firewire together.

greetz,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:34 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
They use a clever trick to get two PCI slots to work which isn't really suitable for a consumer board. A lot of cards actually won't run reliably in it.

That's irrelevant how they did it to put two PCI slots on the board though; it's not the same as a PCI riser. A PCI riser will extend one slot (with one set of INT lines) into two or three (still with one set of INT lines), it does not carry any of the extra interrupt signals required to drive the second or third card properly.

The only reliable way to support multiple PCI bus masters on the 5200B - and especially on Efika using a riser - is with a PCI bridge chip.

It has 256MB RAM because they put 256MB RAM on it.

hmm ,so for instance would it be possible (as in you tryed it) to get a pci version of the supplyed AGP riser and plug one of these 3-PCI slots in there ,and in doing so would place the cards in the upright position yet over the same space as the harddrive.

seems like a small cube type case would then be enough to house these extra active bridged PCI, but does such a right sided PCI converter/riser exist today?.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:43 am 

My question i slightly related (i hope).
I'm willing to add to efika (hope getting one soon) two things (will be needed for my project) :

- 2nd ethernet adapter
- 802.11 adapter

As far as i'm reading it might be difficult, but...
can someone tell me if that would be possible to connect a mini-PCI borad with both adapters embedded via the mini-PCI to PCI converter ?

P.S. Sorry for my english it's not my native.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:06 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I'm willing to add to efika (hope getting one soon) two things (will be needed for my project) :

- 2nd ethernet adapter
- 802.11 adapter

can someone tell me if that would be possible to connect a mini-PCI borad with both adapters embedded via the mini-PCI to PCI converter ?

Yes, you can.

http://www.mikrotik.com/interfaces.php

These will all work with an Efika.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:07 am 

Thx Neko, allready searching for some good mini-PCI borad [;

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:54 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Thx Neko, allready searching for some good mini-PCI borad [;
eBay is a good place, people pull them out of laptops all the time (I have a spare Intel Centrino 2200BG WiFi here - I'm curious as to whether the ipw2200 driver works on Power :) - just make sure you get a decent antenna.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:59 pm 

Quote:
Quote:

- 2nd ethernet adapter
- 802.11 adapter

Yes, you can.

http://www.mikrotik.com/interfaces.php

These will all work with an Efika.
And what if Mikrotik and RouterOS doesn't support PowerPC processors ?

Post subject: PCI riser card
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:00 pm 

Did anyone already test any PCI riser card?

such as this: