All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:48 am 

Hello,
Can anyone point me to docs showing the steps to enable system suspend using the IrDA connector, and software configuration requirements? I am using opensuse 10.3 on efika, with the default kernel. Do I need to compile a new kernel to enable it? If so, after that does it work automagically, or is there a requirement for setup/config?
Thanks
Cesar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:06 am 

cmaciel has since contacted me by e-mail, and we got it working. :-)

For future references:
- enable CONFIG_PM in kernel configuration
- put it to sleep with: echo standby > /sys/power/state
- wake by shorting pins 1 and 3
- you'll probably need a pull-down on pin 3 (IOW. put a large resistor between 3 and 4)

Post subject: waking with RTC
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:16 am 

Just remembered, and maybe somebody finds this useful:
one can also wake board with on-chip RTC:
- patch the kernel with http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/linuxppc-em ... h?id=11675 and use some util to set alarm on /dev/rtc0 (but don't close the file, that disabled the alarm IIRC)
- use something like devmem2 to set RTC alarm registers

Well, at least in theory. I've only tested RTC alarm wakeups on another mpc5200b board, and it was months ago.

Post subject: Re: waking with RTC
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:21 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Just remembered, and maybe somebody finds this useful:
one can also wake board with on-chip RTC:
- patch the kernel with http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/linuxppc-em ... h?id=11675 and use some util to set alarm on /dev/rtc0 (but don't close the file, that disabled the alarm IIRC)
- use something like devmem2 to set RTC alarm registers

Well, at least in theory. I've only tested RTC alarm wakeups on another mpc5200b board, and it was months ago.
It works :)

The problem with the internal RTC is it has no voltage to it when the system is turned off. The 5200B basically forgets the time when you really shut down.

So, it's only useful in Standby (i.e. tell it to standby and then wakeup, rather tell it to turn off but turn back on). You may not save as much power this way. USB peripherals are still powered, the disk might still be turned on, lots of other niggles you have to manually tweak for the standby process.

The RTC replacement we have on the Efika (actually a small 8-bit PIC) will wake the system up from shutdown (i.e. hard power off), though, I believe there is a cute way of doing this from inside Linux, and RTAS..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:40 am 

The PM infrastructure in Linux should take care of USB, ATA, ... devices.
For platform devices, I think I disabled most of mpc5200b stuff (FEC being the biggest power sucker).

I don't have the exact numbers, but on lite5200b, usage on suspend was 10-20% of "full". (There was no graphics card, for which I'm not sure if it would even resume.)

Yeah, external RTC on Efika is what mpc5200b should have in the first place.
I'm guessing you're talking about hibernation/suspend-to-disk, or is there a way on Efika to turn off everything but ram (iow. suspend-to-ram)?

Pointers, google keywords on RTAS+RTC+Linux+Efika?