All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:36 am 
Genesi

Hi.

I compiled a Ubuntu 2.6.22 kernel for EFIKA.
You can find it here:
http://www.cc.puv.fi/~jd/kernel_efika/ubuntu_efika
and the config:
http://www.cc.puv.fi/~jd/kernel_efika/c ... untu_efika

This kernel still largely untested, but should boot the system I described above.

Best regards,
Johan

Yep, I have a blog... PurpleAlienPlanet

Post subject: Idiot at large...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:02 pm 

OK, I'm not very good with the intricate workings of the grubby bits of Linux so bear with me, but here's what I have so far:

PowerMac G4/500 with XUbuntu Feisty Fawn
I have installed debootstrap
I have debootstrapped a base system to /efika
/efika is shared via NFS with the following switches: efika(rw,no_root_squash)

EFIKA 5200B
EFIKA with a USB stick holding kernels
I have booted from the supplied ubuntu_efika kernel using this boot line:
Code:
boot hd0:0 ubuntu_efika ip=dhcp root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=192.168.1.64:/efika
The EFIKA boots, with a good bit of warnings and swearing, and gives me the login: prompt
I can login here as 'root'
Networking works fine and dandy and I can install packages to the NFSRoot using apt-get

So my issue here is that from here I don't know what to do to get Ubuntu ON the EFIKA's hard drive. Well that's not true, I know I have to use parted to partition the hard drive, format the partitions, then mount them under a subfolder (like /target for example), then I can use debootstrap AGAIN to drop a base system on that hard disk. That's my theory, I don't know wether it's a good one?

My current majot issue is that I have not got any 'sd*' devices listed under /dev . This means I can't do anything with the hard drive. So I'm stuck. Where do I got from here?

UPDATE!!

OK I solved the problem here - I think the ubuntu_efika kernel has a problem. I booted the rig again using the debian_efika kernel and all the devices came up correctly.

I'm going to write a full breakdown of my methods and post a link to it on the thread here. While Johan's information is a great start, and is great, those of us with little or no experience in the area have to work out a lot of stuff we don't understand ourselves to get the stuff to work!

MacMiga
http://www.lincsamiga.org.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:02 pm 
Genesi

Hi.

In the kernel I compiled, I probably forgot to include a lot of things regarding file system support, etc. That is because I only work with NFS for now.

To get Ubuntu ON the Efika, all you basically have to do is copy the entire system to your newly partitioned and formatted HD. No need for a second debootstrap!

The reason I did not write it in more detail, is that there is now a Ubuntu installer which makes life easier. You can find more info about that here:
http://www.powerdeveloper.org/forums/vi ... php?t=1335

Sorry you had to go through a lot of trouble. I hope however that it was worth it, and that you learned a lot from it!

Best regards,
Johan

Yep, I have a blog... PurpleAlienPlanet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:38 am 

It did occur to me after I did the second bootstrap that I could just have cloned the first one. Still, it worked well enough :)

With regards to the EFIKA Installer, I wanted to use Feisty because it's stable and proven. I am testing gutsy but I use a different hard drive to do the installs.

I learned one heck of a lot about Linux, in fact the EFIKA has been a great tool for me in that respect as I have learned a lot about all aspects of Linux. For example I now know how to write NFS shares properly, I know how to netboot a PowerPC machine (which could probably be applied to most Linux clients), and I have learned what a useful tool debootstrap is, and how it works. I have also learned a lot about how Ubuntu is actually structured in terms of packages. All this useful information is not lost on me!

I am just happy that this works at the moment, thanks for your tips :)

I have a few things I need to know about bootstrapping from a network however, as I would like to demo the netboot system at the LINCS AMIGA GROUP meeting on Saturday...

1. What does the netbooted system do for swap space?
2. I get a few errors about filesystems when I boot up - is this because I have not definved them in the /etc/fstab?
3. debootstrap has inherited the keymap and from the host machine (a Mac) and so I get awarning about several key bindings not being found and the keys are all wrong on my USB keyboard. How can I fix that?

MacMiga

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:05 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
1. What does the netbooted system do for swap space?
It doesn't! You could mount a file as swap over NFS and hope you don't need to swap too much; NFS over a 100Mbit/s network would be just as fast as the MPC5200B ATA in Linux, but you'd lose bandwidth to swap rather than the rest of the system (well, you do that anyway, let's just say it would be no good if you had 150 of them, but for one, it should work)
Quote:
2. I get a few errors about filesystems when I boot up - is this because I have not definved them in the /etc/fstab?
Which errors. Usually it gives you a very good description. Either way it's good to know what they were so we know what we are trying to fix.
Quote:
3. debootstrap has inherited the keymap and from the host machine (a Mac) and so I get awarning about several key bindings not being found and the keys are all wrong on my USB keyboard. How can I fix that?
Google. There are so many things which use keymaps (console, X, etc.) and need different layouts installed, some of them need tweaking some ways and some of them others.

This is a pretty good discussion in a Debian manual;

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debia ... re.en.html

Remember Ubuntu is based on Debian, and Debian is very very well documented :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:16 am 

Well I think I've got this thing down to a well polished art now :) I had a hard drive fail in my EFIKA and managed to bootstrap and install a new distro to the hard drive on it without too much trouble.

MacMiga

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:46 pm 

Hit a stumbling block here with my jury-rigged hard drive Feisty install.

I am still using the Debian Etch Kernel (hey, if it ain't broke...) but I think that it has finally reared it's ugly head against me.

I wanted to see if I could bootstrap one EFIKA from another, so I debootstrap'd a base system into a folder on my EFIKA with the intention of sharing it using NFS, but neither unfs3 or the nfs-user-server packages will start up on the EFIKA (nfs-user-server works fine on the Mac), it sits and sulks for a while, then the process times out reporting 'Unable to register service: RPC: timed out'.

The system is a clean debootstrap base system, with xubuntu-desktop installed over that, then debootstrap, dpkg and nfs-user-server added to that. Have I overlooked something, or am I getting gremlins from the Debian kernel not being compatible with Ubuntu's nfs server daemons?

MacMiga

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:36 pm 

hello,

i am too interesting in the efikaubuntu project

thanks,
jose mari rodriguez
josemrm .at. gmail.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:28 pm 
Genesi

Well, we are not quite sure where Ubuntu and Canonical are headed. We used to be a Ubuntu Gold Partner. In 2006, Genesi shipped more systems with Ubuntu installed than any other systems builder on the ODW. OK, maybe that does not say much in the grand scheme of the PC world, but it was more than they had anyone else doing at the time (including Dell).

We also shipped them free ODWs and EFIKA boards. Nevertheless, they stopped to officially support PowerPC. They seem to have been seduced by Intel.

This is one reason why we have appreciate Novell and the OpenSUSE Team so much as they continue to provide great support. Just have a look: openSUSE for the EFIKA.

R&B :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:28 am 
Genesi

As mentioned...

Date: Jan 10, 2008 7:10 AM
Subject: Your invitation to a joint Intel® and Canonical Webcast
To: "bbrv@genesippc.com" <bbrv@genesippc.com>

Dear Bill,

'Getting Started with Ubuntu' - an Intel® and Canonical Webcast

Join us for an upcoming webcast on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 at 9AM GMT or 3PM GMT to find out more on how Intel® Channel Partner Programme members can add Ubuntu* as a solution offering on Intel-based platforms.

Presented by Maria Bonnefon, Head of the Canonical OEM Programme, the webcast will demonstrate the latest features of the Ubuntu desktop and provide guidance on compatible and certified Intel platforms. The webcast will also explain the cycle of engagement for you to begin deploying Ubuntu, and describe the benefits of the Canonical System Builder Programme. There will be the opportunity to ask questions online and get details about local contacts so you know how to get started in your region.

Canonical is offering a Compatibility Testing kit to all Intel® Premier and Associate members who attend the webcast, valued at US $1,200, absolutely free. Test Ubuntu compatibility on an unlimited number of platforms - desktop or laptop - in your own facilities.

Register for the webcast online at: http://insitu.stream57.com/canonical/

* Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.

Kind regards,

Gerry Carr
Marketing Manager - Canonical

=======

..."unlimited" as long as it is not PowerPC.

R&B

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:28 pm 

That's what I told you all after the Canonical decision to drop PowerPC.

Forget Ubuntu! That ship has sailed. Focus on the distributions that still support PowerPC. Thanks!