All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 1:37 am 

Hello,

I installed Feisty over Edgy in upgrade mode an works fine...surprise for me is the "Desktop Effects" works at last on PegasosII.

After a update like this.....
Commit Log for Sat May 19 22:23:59 2007

Am actualizat următoarele pachete:
app-install-data-commercial (7) to 7.1
libmetacity0 (1:2.18.2-0ubuntu1) to 1:2.18.2-0ubuntu1.1
metacity (1:2.18.2-0ubuntu1) to 1:2.18.2-0ubuntu1.1
metacity-common (1:2.18.2-0ubuntu1) to 1:2.18.2-0ubuntu1.1

My Metacity don't start ,i must to force start x-session-manager from console to have up and down panels

It's is a chance to restore Metacity to work again?

Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy
PegXMac/Molk/Tiger 10.4.11
-----------------------
PowerMac G4/400Mhz Agp
AppleTV 40Gb
iPod Video 30Gb

Post subject: Re: Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:39 pm 

Quote:
Hello,

I installed Feisty over Edgy in upgrade mode an works fine...surprise for me is the "Desktop Effects" works at last on PegasosII.

After a update like this.....
Commit Log for Sat May 19 22:23:59 2007

Am actualizat următoarele pachete:
app-install-data-commercial (7) to 7.1
libmetacity0 (1:2.18.2-0ubuntu1) to 1:2.18.2-0ubuntu1.1
metacity (1:2.18.2-0ubuntu1) to 1:2.18.2-0ubuntu1.1
metacity-common (1:2.18.2-0ubuntu1) to 1:2.18.2-0ubuntu1.1

My Metacity don't start ,i must to force start x-session-manager from console to have up and down panels

It's is a chance to restore Metacity to work again?
Are you getting a command line login at all? If so, login as usual and then do a "sudo -s" to go into root mode.

Once in root mode, try running "dpkg --configure -a" from the command line. If you had any failures in the apt-get process, this will continue where it left off. If by chance something went wrong with the Xorg configuration, run "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" and that will relaunch the configuration process for Xorg.

Please post back with your results. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:18 pm 

I don't try exaclty...but i installed kde package and i see the thing going fine.
I use right now beryl with kde and the effects it's better like compiz.
Retunring to gnome i think the Metacity is the problem and soon i folow your advices.

Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy
PegXMac/Molk/Tiger 10.4.11
-----------------------
PowerMac G4/400Mhz Agp
AppleTV 40Gb
iPod Video 30Gb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:47 pm 

Opus

I'm runinning Ubuntu "Dapper" on my Peg 2 and want to upgrade to Edgy.. Do I have to install "fiesty" first? What do I do step by step plz? Are you using dist-upgrade command?

TIA
magnetic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:37 am 

Quote:
Opus

I'm runinning Ubuntu "Dapper" on my Peg 2 and want to upgrade to Edgy.. Do I have to install "fiesty" first? What do I do step by step plz? Are you using dist-upgrade command?

TIA
magnetic
I'm not Opus and I don't have a Peg 2, but I could help in whatever way I can, at least in the general sense with Ubuntu/ppc.

Any reason why you want to go to Edgy and then Feisty? Feisty is the latest version out, version 7.04. Edgy was the previous version, version 6.10.

If it helps, when I upgraded from Edgy to Feisty on an old iMac G3 I just used the Update Tool that was made available through the Ubuntu Software Update in Edgy. Mind you, you're upgrading from Dapper and I don't think that the Update Tool was made available for Dapper, so you would have to do an apt-get dist-upgrade. I would backup your data just in case before performing the upgrade in case something gets borked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:06 pm 

Hi Claudio

Thanks for the post. Yeah, I was scared to do apt-upgrade in case something got broken. I used to use partimage for backup with Debian, but I'm wondering what you recommend for backing up with Ubuntu (gui would be nice too) Thanks

magnetic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:52 pm 

Quote:
Hi Claudio

Thanks for the post. Yeah, I was scared to do apt-upgrade in case something got broken. I used to use partimage for backup with Debian, but I'm wondering what you recommend for backing up with Ubuntu (gui would be nice too) Thanks

magnetic
Usually I just backup my files to another storage device, but if you have a lot of files to backup that might not be a viable option. I don't mind reinstalling the apps from scratch and then bringing my files back but that's me. You could just use partimage as you did before to clone your partition/drive if you don't want to go the route that I do.

You could also use rsync. Also, I think there's a backup tool provided by Ubuntu but again, I don't know if it's available for Dapper so that you can do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:40 pm 

keep in mind that there's no kernel image bootable for Peg2 with Feisty. The upgrade will upgrade your files, apps, but not the kernel, so you'll still boot on Dapper/Edgy kernel and will probably experience issues.
czp made a bootable kernel for feisty, check older threads about feisty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:56 pm 

hmm

I 'm starting to wonder if I should install Fiesty from scratch to avoid problems. Its just that I have Dapper configured nicely and everything works!

magnetic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:18 am 

Quote:
I 'm starting to wonder if I should install Fiesty from scratch to avoid problems. Its just that I have Dapper configured nicely and everything works!
I always recommend an installation "from scratch", I know that some folks here agree with me. But yeah, it's sometimes painful to reinstall all apps and settings from a previous installation.

I made a quick tutorial about Feisty installation on Pegasos but it's in french :

http://obligement.free.fr/articles/ubun ... egasos.php

I should translate it soon, but for now, babelfish translation should be enough to make it understandable for you. In case it's not, send me a mail and we'll arrange an IRC session if you want some help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:10 am 

Quote:
Quote:
I always recommend an installation "from scratch", I know that some folks here agree with me. But yeah, it's sometimes painful to reinstall all apps and settings from a previous installation.

I made a quick tutorial about Feisty installation on Pegasos but it's in french :

http://obligement.free.fr/articles/ubun ... egasos.php

I should translate it soon, but for now, babelfish translation should be enough to make it understandable for you. In case it's not, send me a mail and we'll arrange an IRC session if you want some help.
Thank you, SoundSquare, for the clarification. I wasn't sure if the Peg2 was included in the support for the PPC version of Feisty, especially since I don't have a Peg2 or other Genesi system. Is there anything in the works to get the community to include support for these PPC computers? I figure it would be easier now that it IS community supported.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:06 am 

Quote:
czp made a bootable kernel for feisty, check older threads about feisty.
Just a note, as I was asked about it in a PM: once feisty is installed, it is easy to create a bootable kernel image (a new installer, or new kernel after a software update, etc.):
Code:
$ sudo bash
# cd /boot
# mkvmlinuz -o feisty_boot -k vmlinux -i initrd.img -z
This is to be used after a kernel update. Using it for any other situations will be similar. After '-o' you can of course give any name and path you want. Warning: it is better not to point the output to a good, working kernel, as it may result in an unbootable system :-)

Ps: I hate sudo :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:56 am 

Quote:
Code:
$ sudo bash
# cd /boot
# mkvmlinuz -o feisty_boot -k vmlinux -i initrd.img -z
This command fails at me with the following error message:
Code:
/usr/bin/mkvmlinuz: line 322: /usr/lib/mkvmlinuz/wrapper: No such file or directory
The file mentioned is not exists. Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:59 am 

Neither exists this folder on my EdUbuntu install. If I start mkvmlinuz without any arguments, then I get this error message. If I start it with correct parameters, like listed above, then it works fine.

I don't know, if it makes a difference, buy I use the Edubuntu version of Feisty now. In theory that is the closest to 'Ubuntu'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:14 am 

Hm, interesting, I tried it again, and it seems working now. Thanks! (BTW the ASFS still doesn't work.)