All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: Glest on Linux/PPC
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:01 pm 

Glest is a new open source 3D strategy game originally written for windows. It was ported to Linux by Matthias Braun but sadly it was not endian safe.
I have now managed to fix several of the endian issues so that the game will run on Linux/PPC and hopefully other big endian architectures, you can grab my patch here http://rift.ath.cx/~avatar/glest-1.0.10-endian.patch.gz.

Glest will run on Linux/PPC but the following problems still exist, so if you feel that you might be able to fix any of these remaining problems please help us. :)
  • * Sound samples are not byte swapped (only the headers), sound is corrupted.
    * I have only fixed endianess where fread or f.read is used. Sections of code where fwrite is used still needs to be fixed.
    * GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar is not available in the open source ATI driver, I have disabled the check for this in the code but I don't know what effect this will have on the game (I'm not an OpenGL expert)
    * The game is extremely slow, I'm not sure what is causing this but I'm sure there is a way to fix it. Someone with OpenGL skills might want to have a look at this.
    * I never went past the main menu and configure menu since it is so slow, I noticed that some of the graphics running in the background appear corrupted, so I might have missed something or messed up some of the byte swapping.

Post subject: Glest on Linux/PPC
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:06 pm 

On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 05:01:07AM +0000, dholm wrote:
> Glest (http://www.glest.org/) is a new open source 3D strategy game originally written for windows. It was ported to Linux (http://www.stud.uni-karlsruhe.de/~uxsm/glest/) by Matthias Braun but sadly it was not endian safe.
> I have now managed to fix several of the endian issues so that the game will run on Linux/PPC and hopefully other big endian architectures, you can grab my patch here .
>
> The following problems still exist, so if you feel that you might be able to fix any of these please help us. :)
>
> * Sound samples are not byte swapped (only the headers), sound is corrupted.
> * I have only fixed endianess where fread or f.read is used. Sections of code where fwrite is used still needs to be fixed.
> * GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar is not available in the open source ATI driver, I have disabled the check for this in the code but I don't know what effect this will have on the game (I'm not an OpenGL expert)

Normally the code should be able to check for the presence of an extension,
and it should be harmless if the extension is not present. Why did you have to
remove this check.

Friendly,

Sven Luther

Post subject: Re: Glest on Linux/PPC
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:54 am 

Emanuel Steen (kozz) has updated the patch and fixed several issues. The game will now run, but as soon as you interact with your units the game will segfault.
Get the latest patch here: http://www.pegasos.org/index.php?name=P ... highlight=

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:17 pm 

If you set 'FogOfWar' to '0' in glest.ini you can watch the AI players work. You'll notice that the game is actually running pretty fast even though we do not have perfect 3D drivers yet. Thank kozz for this tip.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:43 am 

Yep, it seems playable imho, would be nice to have it working. I'm sure the segfault is really easy to fix, just have to find it... but there must be someone good on OpenGL here.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:52 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Yep, it seems playable imho, would be nice to have it working. I'm sure the segfault is really easy to fix, just have to find it... but there must be someone good on OpenGL here.
Is it actually OpenGL that's causing the segfault? Someone should check the crash dump before recruiting GL experts :)

Neko

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:20 am 

You are very well free to prove me wrong, and while doing that mabye solve the problem? :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:08 am 

Quote:
On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 05:01:07AM +0000, dholm wrote:
> * GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar is not available in the open source ATI driver, I have disabled the check for this in the code but I don't know what effect this will have on the game (I'm not an OpenGL expert)

Normally the code should be able to check for the presence of an extension,
and it should be harmless if the extension is not present. Why did you have to
remove this check.
The game automatically exited if it didn't find the extension.

Hmm, it's a bit difficult to locate your replies when they are embedded inside a thread unlike at the end like everyone else does.

Post subject: Patches missing.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:02 am 

We seem to be packaging glest for Fedora Extras now, so a bug has been filed about the lack of PPC support. The patches referenced above seem to have gone missing though -- does anyone still have a copy of the latest?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:07 pm 

I have something left, not sure whether it is the latest. And Glest has reached a higher version now so might be that it doesn't apply cleanly anymore, but it's something.

http://kozz.org/files/games/glest/glest ... n.patch.gz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:13 pm 

Thanks. I've found a patch elsewhere and made it build; now I just find that glest refuses to run because my OpenGL is too old.

http://david.woodhou.se/glest-cvs-incom ... ling.patch
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/sh ... ?id=219540

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:04 pm 

with the patch the result is the following:

- the fonts are painful to read
- the sound is still broken
- it fails to load a texture.

basically it has still a long way to go...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:01 am 

I updated the patch for version 2.x of glest, or the cvs actually. Everything seems to work, both ogg and wav audio, all textures etc. It's not the most beautiful patch ever seen, but it works - anyone is free to clean it up. Also tried on an little endian machine and it still works so seems good.

However, it is awfully slow on the Pegasos, but playable.

http://kozz.org/files/games/glest/glest ... n.patch.gz

Ohh, and about the fonts. I didn't had the default font on my computer, but it is easy to simply change it to something else in glest.ini. Find you available fonts with xfontsel or such.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:17 pm 

It doesn't render correctly on the r300 and the fonts are pitiful...

I'll try again later, the music now is pretty fine =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:34 am 

Strange, works fine for me... but I have a R200 card.