All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:47 am 
Site Admin

(some posts deleted, please post sensibly)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:15 am 

Quote:
massifr wrote:
Quote:
The Efika PCI slot looks reversed
It's not, it's just keyed for 3.3V.

Make sure you plug your bridge cards in the right way around, okay?
For a moment I suspected it, but could not find the other usual key.

I apologize. To Neko: you can delete the post, as it could mislead someone.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:51 am 

I've just found my proposal rejected :?

It may sound strange in this context, but in my opinion EFIKA
could easily outperform e.g. PC WRAP or similar boards when
working as a transparent firewall. Such firewalls need quite
a lot of CPU horsepower, which hopefully the MPC5200B onboard
could provide, and I became quite excited about the possibility
of trying it out in our network, where PC-based transparent firewalls are already working.

Are there any possibilities to get an already rejected proposal
reconsidered ?

Regards,

-jjw.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:35 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:

It may sound strange in this context
It doesn't sound strange, but we try not to just approve projects just because they were submitted.

The reason I (yes, it was me) decided it wasn't suitable was for many reasons:

http://projects.ppczone.org/projects.php?pending=531

* It has a 3-line description
* You don't know even what OS you will use
* .. or additional hardware (vague anyway)
* there are 8 or more projects which say they will do exactly the same thing (some of which have the same problems as above).
Quote:
Are there any possibilities to get an already rejected proposal reconsidered?
* Have an original idea
* Explain it properly

Please do not include the phrases "I want a Free EFIKA so that", "we will see when I get the board", and suchlike, as they bristle the hairs on my neck, and make me think you are not so serious about doing the project, as much as looking for a free toy. If you cannot be specific about something like a firewall, even if that specification is a feature list of what you would like to expose, an example link to a network card that would fit, and so on.. it does not stand out.

Example #1:

http://projects.ppczone.org/projects.php?pending=192

This is an example of a good project idea, well explained.

Example #2:

http://projects.ppczone.org/projects.php?project=229

This is the most awesome project description we ever had. It is for the ODW project, and he submitted it after he got his machine at FTF Frankfurt (cheating :) but any project with this much detail in a proposal would be at the top of my list for approval :)

That's the basic reasoning behind it. Even if you had a great idea, and it is fairly sound as an idea, that does not necessarily mean it is worth you getting a board, to us or to our sponsors, when there are so many other similar ideas already in the program.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:38 pm 

Quote:
Quote:

It may sound strange in this context
It doesn't sound strange, but we try not to just approve projects just because they were submitted.

The reason I (yes, it was me) decided it wasn't suitable was for many reasons:

http://projects.ppczone.org/projects.php?pending=531

It was intended to be the description of an idea, as indicated
on the project page. Some approved proposals are even one liners :)
Quote:
* You don't know even what OS you will use
I'd prefer OpenBSD for this task, but I cannot know now which OS will
be the best one (stability, performance, etc.), so the intention was to test all possibilities and choose the best one.
Quote:
* .. or additional hardware (vague anyway)
A two-port NIC is necessary here, just now it would be an Intel/100 server ethernet card, but again, I cannot know now, how it would be working, maybe not at all (it's PCI-64, most probably compatible with PCI-32).
Quote:
* there are 8 or more projects which say they will do exactly the same thing (some of which have the same problems as above).
Indeed, I've seen proposals of various routers/firewalls, but nobody
proposed exactly the same thing, AFAIK. Moreover, setting up such a
beast properly is definitely not trivial (it is not a standard IP router/firewall)

Quote:
Quote:
Are there any possibilities to get an already rejected proposal reconsidered?
* Have an original idea
* Explain it properly

Please do not include the phrases "I want a Free EFIKA so that", "we will see when I get the board", and suchlike, as they bristle the hairs on my neck, and make me think you are not so serious about doing the project, as much as looking for a free toy. If you cannot be specific about something like a firewall, even if that specification is a feature list of what you would like to expose, an example link to a network card that would fit, and so on.. it does not stand out.

Example #1:

http://projects.ppczone.org/projects.php?pending=192

This is an example of a good project idea, well explained.

Example #2:

http://projects.ppczone.org/projects.php?project=229

This is the most awesome project description we ever had. It is for the ODW project, and he submitted it after he got his machine at FTF Frankfurt (cheating :) but any project with this much detail in a proposal would be at the top of my list for approval :)

That's the basic reasoning behind it. Even if you had a great idea, and it is fairly sound as an idea, that does not necessarily mean it is worth you getting a board, to us or to our sponsors, when there are so many other similar ideas already in the program.

OK. So please tell me only if re-submiting in extended form has any utility for my proposal or would be pure time killing :)

Regards,

-jjw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:30 pm 
Genesi

It has utility. Please reapply.

Thanks.

R&B :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:41 am 

Quote:
It has utility. Please reapply.

Thanks.

OK, done. Below is the link to the improved/extended version.

I've changed also slightly the title, it is now a "High-Performance Transparent Network Filter", to be distinct from the previous proposal :)

http://projects.ppczone.org/projects.php?pending=549

Regards,

-jjw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:14 am 
Genesi

Very good.

Approved!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:28 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
It was intended to be the description of an idea, as indicated on the project page. Some approved proposals are even one liners :)
Indeed, and most are approved, but we took into account who submitted it on most of them (if Ben Herrenschmidt or a Sun Labs employee posts a one-liner, we can be sure there is something great behind that one line).

No offense but I have no idea who you are so a better description would be easier to approve.

Your new submission was great. It doesn't take much effort to justify your reasoning.
Quote:
A two-port NIC is necessary here, just now it would be an Intel/100 server ethernet card, but again, I cannot know now, how it would be working, maybe not at all (it's PCI-64, most probably compatible with PCI-32)
This is another example I should point out. We have had some project submissions which are merely impossible due to the design of the EFIKA. There was one guy who wanted to update his ATA adapter from an Amiga design, and expose more ATA ports and a larger ATA port, etc.

There is a very very good technical reason why we have that connector on the board, and some adapter with an 8" cable on the end just wouldn't have worked. The project is a good idea, but he would have just frustrated himself.

As for your Intel NIC - 64-bit PCI cards are required to work in 32-bit slots. They just don't get to use the extra 32 address/data lines. The same is true of PCI-X cards which implement the lower end of the PCI slot. However they will all run at 66MHz in the EFIKA PCI slot if they are capable, so the performance hit is not as drastic as you might think (and it's not like you need 64-bit addressing either).

64-bit and PCI-X adapter cards are also absolutely guaranteed to work for another reason; they will all be 3.3V cards, and the EFIKA has a 3.3V-only slot. With ordinary PCI there is a quandry as to whether the card is designed to cope if it has a universal connector (some manufacturers seem not to read the PCI specifications).
Quote:
OK. So please tell me only if re-submiting in extended form has any utility for my proposal or would be pure time killing :)
Of course :)

We are not monsters, we just have a little more to the review/approval process than "Click A Button" :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:47 am 

neko

much nicer post :) Alot of serious people dont have time to write a treatise for the project proposal for a $200 board. An ODW is another matter. I have been meaning to submit a proposal myself, and will soon.

magnetic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:19 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
much nicer post :) Alot of serious people dont have time to write a treatise for the project proposal for a $200 board. An ODW is another matter. I have been meaning to submit a proposal myself, and will soon.
I'm gonna stop being nice now, and say that's also a lot of crap.

The price doesn't matter. Project developers need to make an effort, because if they do not, they are wasting their sponsor's time and money.

This is NOT an unbridled overgenerous giveaway where everyone gets a free lollipop just for trying, it is a managed and sponsored (by Freescale's MobileGT Division) developer resource to promote Power Architecture development.

As such we will approve projects based on certain criteria which are relevant to our sponsors. 3-line quickies will be frowned upon from this point in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:25 am 

You are going to stop being nice? When did you start? Nobody is saying its a "give away", how silly. Guess what? One of the main reasons I never submitted a proposal was that i'm sure YOU would shoot it down.

magnetic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:26 pm 

Quote:
You are going to stop being nice? When did you start? Nobody is saying its a "give away", how silly. Guess what? One of the main reasons I never submitted a proposal was that i'm sure YOU would shoot it down.

magnetic
really, these flames have no place here. so far ppczone.org has been quite pleasant to read.

Konstantinos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:29 pm 

Mag, I suggest that you go outside and take in a couple of breaths of fresh air. This hostility can't be doing you any good.

The fact is, Genesi and Freescale are businesses. While they are most definately being quite generous, the end result should be a growth of profit and platform adoption. Just randomly throwing out boards will not achieve this, and Matt is just trying to make that point.

No need to get so upset; go enjoy a day off the forums, and try to clear your mind. It may help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:46 pm 

Quote:
Very good.

Approved!

-jjw.