All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:00 pm 

Quote:
Also had to comment out load 'dri' in xorg.conf for X to run with out freezing the system.
I did not have such a problem. But I used it only in the past half hour or so :-)

CzP

Post subject: FC5 install
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:02 pm 

I reinstalled FC5. Booted the install with
Code:
boot cd: /images/netboot/ppc32.img resolution=1280x1024
It booted fine with the install GUI viewable.
All was installed as usual on any of my other systems.
There was a little trouble with the partitioning.
FC5 would not let me pick the old lvm partition, and I had to delete the old pratitions.
Go back to install in free space.
I rebooted with
Code:
boot /hd:9 /yaboot/yaboot conf= hd:9,/yaboot/yaboot.conf
The system started fine, got the GUI bootup screen and the firtboot setup screen.
And the Gnome login screen, I loggedin and as Gnome was loading the system froze.
I rebooted and at the yaboot boot: prompt typed 'linux 3'.
edited /etc/X11/xorg.conf (commented 'load "dri"').
typed 'init 5' and the Gnome login screen came up.
maybe it is this video card. it is a Radeon 9250 pci. I had it in a mac an reflashed the the bios for a mac.

nels

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:06 pm 

Hmm reflashing for MAc can be a prob maybe. AFAIK you are supposed to use PC gfx cards for Peg...

magnetic

Post subject: FC5 install
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:13 am 

Hmm, getting further and further here. :) I also managed to install FC5 after using
Code:
resolution=1280x1024
(I have an ATI Radeon 9200 SE) added to the boot command. 8)

But what do I have to do next to boot my installed FC5? If I go via yaboot (do I have to do that?), I also have to add
Code:
resolution=1280x1024
otherwise it starts to look like a crashed C-64 (coloured blocks all over the screen and some of them flashing).
I have to add
Code:
root=/dev/hda5
for it to stop complaining about not finding the root partition, and then I see the text scroll by until 15 after lines or so for SElinux, and then it just resets - no warning, bam!. :shock:

What do I have to do next?

Just added: Maybe I need to uninstall a few things, I added absolutely everything because I didn't want to miss out on anything.

Post subject: Re: FC5 install
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:59 am 

Quote:
I have to add
Code:
root=/dev/hda5
for it to stop complaining about not finding the root partition, and then I see the text scroll by until 15 after lines or so for SElinux, and then it just resets
That's odd -- yaboot.conf ought to contain a sufficient 'root=' argument already. And it certainly shouldn't just reset. Can you boot it with serial console ('console=ttyS0,115200') and capture the messages?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:18 am 

I'd have to get another machine in to listen to the serial port. I'll have to try that then, thanks for the tip.

Just to be sure (maybe I f :oops: cked up somehwere else), I start with
Code:
boot hd0:4 /boot/yaboot/yaboot conf=hd0:4,/boot/yaboot/yaboot.conf
and within yaboot I type
Code:
hd0:4,/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5 resolution=1280x1024 root=/dev/hda5
and then it changes screen mode for all the init text, and after (or during?) SElinux it resets.

O nadgers, nobody encountered this kind of behaviour before?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:22 am 

Quote:
within yaboot I type
Code:
hd0:4,/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5 resolution=1280x1024 root=/dev/hda5
and then it changes screen mode for all the init text, and after (or during?) SElinux it resets.
Once you've booted yaboot, assuming it has actually found its yaboot.conf, can't you just hit 'enter'? What happens if you do that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:07 pm 

Ok, here's some more info: yaboot does claim to have read it's config file, even if I don't add the "conf=" argument - it tries to read it from the same dir, which is where it is. It says
Quote:
Config file read, 32768 bytes
Now I'm only a bit of a nerd, but I do recognize powers of 2 when I see them. Coincidence or not?

Anyway, just pressing <Enter> in yaboot gives the following
Quote:
Please wait, loading kernel...
H<weird char><weird char><weird char>:-1,vmlinux: unable to open file, invalid device
And, fwiw, if I press <tab> at this point, I get the yaboot prompt line again, with no boot files suggested, let alone a default one.

And, finally, it seems I have to add the "root=/dev/hda5", otherwise it can not even get to the part where it crashes, and will reboot in 180 seconds after telling me to
Quote:
Please append a correct "root=" boot option
And so I did ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:25 pm 

And some more test results: If I do add
Code:
conf=hd0:4,/boot/yaboot/yaboot.conf
to the boot command, it also says "Config file read", only this times it claims to have read 4096 bytes - another power of two, but sigificantly less.

At this point pressing <tab> will show me one choice: "linux"

And if I also added
Code:
resolution=1280x1024 boot=hd0:4 root=/dev/hda5
and then press <enter>, it tries to boot from /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5, the same file it could otherwise boot from, only now it will say
Quote:
/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5: Not a valid ELF image
I am kind of at a loss here, I'd really like to get FC5 going on my Peg2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:17 pm 

In a normal Fedora Core install, two partitions are created;
1: / (root) =(in my system /dev/hda11 LVM format not of readable)
2: /boot = /dev/hda10 ext2 format

when I boot
Code:
boot /hd:9 /yaboot/yaboot conf= hd:9,/yaboot/yaboot.conf
you can see that there is no /boot prefix.

try
Code:
boot hd:4 /yaboot/yaboot conf=hd:4,/yaboot/yaboot.conf
nels

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:03 am 

Ooh, maybe I made a chicken-up there then. I manually configured two partitions, '/' (80GB) and and swap (20 or 40MB).

But afaik unix installations can basically run on one partition. This boot partition you mention should, when created as a separate partition, appear as '/boot', which it does.

Or is there really a separate boot partition required for FC5? Can you then tell me what partitions and of what format are the minumum required? Because I'm installing FC5 on a disk which has a few PFS partitions for MorphOS, I'm not that keen on letting Anaconda auto-partition my disk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:10 am 

Quote:
Or is there really a separate boot partition required for FC5? Can you then tell me what partitions and of what format are the minumum required? Because I'm installing FC5 on a disk which has a few PFS partitions for MorphOS, I'm not that keen on letting Anaconda auto-partition my disk.
You don't need a separate boot partition -- as long as yaboot can read the partition on which your /boot resides, it's fine. And as long as OpenFirmware can read the partition on which yaboot resides, of course.

Mostly, that means that /boot mustn't be using LVM. If it's just ext3, that's OK -- I've had a single / partition on my Pegasos and it should work fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:16 am 

Hmm, I'm still not getting any closer to the solution. Tanks for your info, of course (all of you), but my Peg2's OF can read the ext3 '/' partition that I have, it can find and load yaboot, yaboot claims it can load it's conf file, but it just plain stops and resets, always at the same point in the booting procedure.

Anybody know if SELinux could be an issue (after the SELinux lines it resets)?

And I'm still looking for a machine to listen to the serial output.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:02 am 

Getting further now: I took a separate disk, and let Anaconda figure out how to partition itself. After a lot of arsing about, I now have something that almost runs.

After finishing the installation, it hung up on me at the very last part, I think. I got pretty far though, it even recognized the on-board PegII sound chip.

Now, I can boot through to the part where FC5 actually gets into the graphical boot part, but the 'system bus' starting up does not seem to work, it just hangs there for ever. Going through the startup interactively and skipping the system bus thing, makes it hang later on.

Is this a known feature/bug or should I just keep trying (which I'll do anyway) ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:05 pm 

Ok, forget that. It's a given fact now, because it's statistically proven: As soon as I spill my guts on the web because I can not understand why it's not working, it works.

I'm typing this from Mozilla Firefox, running on Fedore Core 5, running on my Pegasos II, using an EXT3 partition amongst 4 other PFS3 partitions on the same physical disk.

Now all I have to do is activate the swap. Anyway, first off, to find your OF device names, just type in devalias in your OF.

Booting from the CD from OF I use:
Code:
boot cd: /images/netboot/ppc32.img resolution=1280x1024
Then, after installation, I type the following in OF:
Code:
boot hd0:4 /boot/yaboot/yaboot conf=hd0:4,/boot/yaboot/yaboot.conf resolution=1280x1024 root=/dev/hda5
And then try hitting <Enter> twice. I'm not sure if it picks the right file then, if it doesn't, just type this at the boot prompt:
Code:
hd0:4,/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5
If you are trying to find out what the Fedora partition name is, just look at the text that passes by when booting Fedora. You'll see things like hda1, hda2, hdb1, etc. Decrease the added number by one, and you have your partition number.

Thanks to the folks on the PPCZone forum for the help.