All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:22 pm 

Topic says it all. :)

Mac-on-Linux 0.9.72_pre2 has been released. This is primarily a bug-fix release, focusing on fixing MacOS 9 booting issues and cleaning up the build system a little. Now that all of the known build issues are resolved, I'll start to look into some of the feature requests on the SourceForge tracker. If you have any bugs, build problems or feature requests, please let me know! The next release should be MOL 0.9.72, I hope to have the OSX 10.4 acceleration modules fixed along with a few of minor feature requests completed for the next release.

Mac-On-Linux Website

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:01 pm 

MOUSE WHEEL, MOUSE WHEEEEEL!!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:04 pm 

Please file a feature request in the tracker and I'll add it before the next MOL release.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:17 am 

I have a test version which implements this for the X11 (windowed) output client. If you are interested in testing, I'll send you the source, but I don't want to do a proper release since this breaks compatibility with MacOS (OS9, etc.) and OSX 10.0/10.1. Once I get a copy of Codewarrior, I'll be able to integrate this change into all versions and it'll be in a proper release. So, if you're using OSX 10.2+, I can send you a patch that implements this feature. Support for the console driver is coming, but not yet ready for public consumption.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:55 pm 

There is a feature that many users would like to see in MOL : OpenGL graphic acceleration.
I suppose this has been answered already somewhere else but could you tell me if this is something that may be possible ? or not ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:52 pm 

This is quite a bit more difficult than Scroll Wheel support. :)

It's on my list of things to look into, but the real problem boils down to a few options:

1. Emulate a supported video card
2. Create an OpenGL passthrough driver and add support for this in MOL

#1 is awfully difficult considering that I would have to implement any quirks of the emulated card, but it does save the trouble of writing an OSX driver.

#2 is also quite difficult since there isn't a well documented graphics driver that's open source upon which a MOL version could be built. The framework is available though, so it might be possible.

#2 in my mind, seems more feasible. To accomplish this a few things would need to be done:

1. SDL port (to simplify I/O and using OpenGL)
2. MacOSX driver
3. OpenGL passthrough system (implemented using OSI calls)

I've started looking into the possibility of first writing a native 2D OSX driver (the current one is an OS9 driver) and optimizing that. Once this is complete, an OpenGL passthrough would be possible.

That said, I'm not currently working on that at the moment. Right now, I'm working on getting 2.6 booting in MOL and getting MOL to be self hosting in OSX (Tiger).

As usual, any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:01 pm 

hello josejx!
Thanks a lot for maintaining mol!
As of the opengl stuff, maybe directfb can be helpful with it.
It exists for osx & there are opengl drivers with some
embedded-mesa.
Unfortunately afair it's matrox only currently...
friendly,
Marcel Unbehaun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:03 pm 

thanks a lot JoseJX for the explanation, at least it gives a clearer idea about possible options.
thanks again for working on MOL, it's a neat piece of software.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:29 pm 

DirectFB is neat, but it doesn't offer as many benefits as an SDL port would. SDL also supports MacOSX and can even run on a DirectFB server. :) Ultimately, I'd like to depreciate the old input/output drivers (X11, DGA and Console) in favor of an SDL implementation, leaving VNC as is.

We'll see how much free time I have ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:11 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
DirectFB is neat, but it doesn't offer as many benefits as an SDL port would. SDL also supports MacOSX and can even run on a DirectFB server. :) Ultimately, I'd like to depreciate the old input/output drivers (X11, DGA and Console) in favor of an SDL implementation, leaving VNC as is.

We'll see how much free time I have ;)
I would agree fully with this. One thing I am curious about, is it possible to retarget MacOS X OpenGL to the underlying Linux OpenGL - be it GLX or DirectFBGL?

I am sure PearPC does this now (at least in development versions), at one time they were using the same video.x driver as MOL?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:07 am 

Well, as far as I can tell from their CVS, they're still using the MOL video driver. There was some noise in the forums about writing a 2D accelerated video driver and some early releases, but nothing was finished afaik. If you know where I can get the source for any newer video driver, I'd like to see it. :)

I'm not positive what we can accomplish with a MacOSX driver, but (without having looked at the code yet) I assume we can set the VM's capabilities to match the local machine's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:24 am 

Any progress with any of this? Jose?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:50 am 
Genesi

Hi Thomas/magnetic, the time period between your last post in this thread and the one before is more than three and a half years. A quick trip around the net shows the last MOL version available on SourceForge is from June 2007. The last news report is from October 2007. JoseJX seems to still be active as recently as March 2010 on the Project (revision 165), but he has not logged in here for some time (also more than three years). We doubt there has been the kind of progress you want. OSX has advanced quite significantly in that time as well.

====

JoseJX was a Gentoo developer. Here are the Gentoo pages we could find that were associated with him and that are semi-related:

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-al ... argets.xml

It was last changed in 2005.

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/macos/

That page was last changed in October 2008.

You might not be surprised if we don't expect many further updates, particularly those that would support the ODW/Pegasos.

====

We still support the Gentoo Community and have provided a number of Efika MX systems to Gentoo Developers.

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embe ... t=4&chap=8
http://dev.gentoo.org/~darkside/arm/efi ... nstall.xml

There are still many active Gentoo developers, but that community, as all distribution communities, has changed quite a bit in the last few years.

Best regards,
R&B :)

Last edited by bbrv on Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:02 pm 

i dont think you have the right links for mac on linux http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-al ... argets.xml and
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/macos/ are about gentoo on osx, not osx on gentoo or linux. gentoo on osx is alive and going well, its currently being merged to the main gentoo tree, more details here http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-al ... /index.xml . gentoo on osx or any other operating system is gentoo used as a package manager run as user in their home dir.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:02 pm 
Genesi

Hi Matt, we tried to make our post more clear. We were referring to the common developer: JoseJX. We have ask a Gentoo developer to investigate. We hope to have a better status update soon.

It may be nostalgic, but it seems worthwhile to mention that Samuel Rydh, founder and lead developer for MOL worked with us in 2002-2003 to support MOL on the Pegasos/ODW. Here is a gallery of pictures from CES 2003: Genesi - CES 2003. This picture is of Samuel (right), Nicholas Blachford (center, now of ARM Inc.) and Felix Schwartz (left, now a successful Apple Apps Store Developer).

R&B :)