All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: QEmu on powerpc
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:36 am 

I've looked over the internet and found some instructions for suse linux on how to make adobe flash plugin work in non-x86 env via qemu http://en.opensuse.org/PowerPC_Flash_Player . I've installed everything as described there only with changes corresponding for debian. When executing anything from x86 linux everything is ok, but when I am trying to chroot to that dir I'm getting this:
Code:
bash: fork: Invalid argument
Can anyone help with this issue?

Post subject: Re: QEmu on powerpc
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:21 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I've looked over the internet and found some instructions for suse linux on how to make adobe flash plugin work in non-x86 env via qemu http://en.opensuse.org/PowerPC_Flash_Player . I've installed everything as described there only with changes corresponding for debian. When executing anything from x86 linux everything is ok, but when I am trying to chroot to that dir I'm getting this:
Code:
I really hope you're trying this on an Apple G5 or something because emulating x86 through QEMU on a G4 is going to be worse than using the slow opensource players.

As for the problem, you're trying to "chroot into that dir".. what directory? The x86 emulation one? If you do a chroot you will probably lose the ability to run the x86 Linux stuff through QEMU as it relies on paths to the PPC Linux relative to it's root. You will have to do some egregious symlinking!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:20 pm 

why don't you use gnash ??

Post subject: Re: QEmu on powerpc
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:15 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Code:
I really hope you're trying this on an Apple G5 or something because emulating x86 through QEMU on a G4 is going to be worse than using the slow opensource players.

As for the problem, you're trying to "chroot into that dir".. what directory? The x86 emulation one? If you do a chroot you will probably lose the ability to run the x86 Linux stuff through QEMU as it relies on paths to the PPC Linux relative to it's root. You will have to do some egregious symlinking!
I'm trying to run this on G5 quad. 8) I'm not so stupid not to copy qemu-i386-static to /usr/bin. It starts bash but bash refuse to start anything else. And if I am doing
Code:
chroot /emul/i386/ /bin/something
it works till that something needs to fork. Then it stops with almost same error. I don't understand what it lacks to work properly. 8(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:16 pm 

Quote:
because it plays ~30% of flash.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:40 am 

Quote:
Quote:
from my experience, with gnash-0.8.7 it's about 85%.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:24 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
from my experience, with gnash-0.8.7 it's about 85%.
It is not playing almost all YouTube HD, it is definitely not playing RuTube and some others, like GameTrailers with selectors of birthdate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:02 pm 

I've made some investigations. Seems that the problem is here:
clone(18874385,0,0,0,1210087208,1074262024) = -1 errno=22 (Invalid argument)
This is a line from qemu-i386 started with -strace option. This error is got by a caller in 3 cases:
1. when child_stack is NULL
2. both CLONE_FS and CLONE_NEWNS flags are set
3. CLONE_THREAD was set, but CLONE_SIGHAND wasn't.
I don't know why there is so many params for that command so I need someone more competent than me to comment the situation

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:45 am 

i suppose you ought to ask about on qemu-dev ml.
Anyway, the upcoming gnash-0.8.8 'll fix any youtube scripts troubles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:39 pm 

Quote:
i suppose you ought to ask about on qemu-dev ml.
Anyway, the upcoming gnash-0.8.8 'll fix any youtube scripts troubles.
I think I'll do that. And I have gnash built from trunk. It is playing youtube correc, but not playing much more flash. Also I need that cross-env to use some x86 only tools.