All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:41 pm 

Hey guys

Do any of you have any luck with installing Ubunto 9.10 karmic koala on Pegasos 2? Please let me know. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:34 am 

What is your problem? If lack of installer, then please take a look at previous forum posts, it is documented there how to create a network installer. AFAIR, you have already Ubuntu installed, so you have all the tools necessary to proceed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:47 pm 

peter
Thanks for the response. My problem is that since my Peg2 isnt Just a Linux box a and the /boot partition is SFS and not standard for linux I dont know how to use mkvmlinuz (is that it?) so I have a bootable file?? Do you know what I mean? In other words if I use the updater to install the new versions how do I get it to boot? I'm running Hardy because of this and really want to run Karmic. Please help. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:17 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
peter
Thanks for the response. My problem is that since my Peg2 isnt Just a Linux box a and the /boot partition is SFS and not standard for linux I dont know how to use mkvmlinuz (is that it?) so I have a bootable file?? Do you know what I mean? In other words if I use the updater to install the new versions how do I get it to boot? I'm running Hardy because of this and really want to run Karmic. Please help. Thanks
Make a new boot partition that's ext2 - you're not restricted to just one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:46 am 

or you can still copy the new kernel from your linux /boot partition or directory to your sfs partition and boot from it (making sure to specify the right root partition in the OF linux boot arguments). Of course you have to do this everytime the kernel is upgraded.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:57 pm 

Thanks guys
Is there anyone here running Karmic Koala on Peg2?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:35 am 

Not yet. I can't promise a deadline, but once I have a little time, I'll try to install it and post the netinst and boot kernels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:23 am 

Peter
That would be very cool and many users would be happy. I would also do a post on Morphzone to get some Morphos users to get the latest ubuntu on their box..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:07 pm 

Hey Peter
ITs been a month since my last post you must be busy :) any chance on getting the Karmic boot files?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:22 pm 

Quote:
Hey Peter
ITs been a month since my last post you must be busy :)
Yes, I am busy (two jobs + two kids). And I also must admit, that when I had a little time, I played with the ARM boards. Nostalgia vs. future...
Quote:
any chance on getting the Karmic boot files?
"two more weeks" :-) Or even next week, if I'm less busy...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:28 pm 

Hey Peter

Just checking back to bug you, there are many ppl that could benefit from these files if you can get to it sometime :) Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:57 am 

Sorry, but when I had a little time, I rather worked on my ARM based machines, like trying to bring up MeeGo on the EFIKA MX. It is still in the queue, not forgotten, just ARM has now a higher priority.

Anyway, I documented many times here in the forum, how to create an network installer for Ubuntu. So, if you have a working Ubuntu on your EFIKA or Pegasos, you can easily do it yourself. The search keyword should be "mkvmlinuz" AFAIR. Just make sure, that you don't overwrite your old Ubuntu, as it is needed also for the second stage, to create a boot kernel for the new Ubuntu.

Lucid is also ready, so netboot sources are available from: http://ports.ubuntu.com/dists/lucid/mai ... c/netboot/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:38 pm 

Quote:
Lucid is also ready, so netboot sources are available from: http://ports.ubuntu.com/dists/lucid/mai ... c/netboot/
I tried to install Lucid Lynx on my pegasos II following your instuctions. Then I created a bootable install kernel and installation (it took about two hours) went ok.
I also created a boot kernel before rebooting the machine changing to virtual console (alt+F3) and giving from the command line :

chroot /target /bin/bash
cd /boot
mkvmlinuz -o ubuntu -a chrp -z -k vmlinux -i initrd.gz
After that, no way to boot the fresh installed ubuntu since OF returns
error message.

Could you make available a valid boot kernel ?

Tnx in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:47 pm 

It might be too large to be loaded. Neko suggested changing some OF variables, but that never worked for me. Try loading the kernel by yaboot, that should do the trick (at least it did for openSUSE).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:48 am 

Quote:
It might be too large to be loaded. Neko suggested changing some OF variables, but that never worked for me. Try loading the kernel by yaboot, that should do the trick (at least it did for openSUSE).
Sorry Peter!
I have not great familiarity with linux...
Tried unsuccessfully loading the kernel by yaboot but it take me to installation process start.
What yaboot do I need to use? The one I get after installation or anyone else (e.g. the one from OpenSUSE)?
Which command one need to give exactly once launched yaboot?
I tried using OpenSUSE boot kernel (zImage) and it worked until the login screen but mouse and keyboard are unusable.
Tnx in advance for help...