All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:28 am 

Here's the link to the announcement:

http://lists.fixstars.com/pipermail/yel ... 00214.html

I would like to thank Fixstars and the YDL people for mentioning libfreevec, and I hope more distros follow suit! :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:47 am 

Great work, markos !
I tried to update my Yellow Dog yesterday but the version 6.2 will be publicly available at the end of July.
libfreevec is a good thing and that's great to learn that it is in YD. I suppose it is a big satifaction for you regarding the work you did on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:54 pm 

It is part of openSUSE from about the 10.1 version. Last year I started to enable it system wide, and enjoyed the added speed and responsiveness.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:48 am 

Quote:
Great work, markos !
I tried to update my Yellow Dog yesterday but the version 6.2 will be publicly available at the end of July.
libfreevec is a good thing and that's great to learn that it is in YD. I suppose it is a big satifaction for you regarding the work you did on it.
Thanks for your support, yes, it's nice to know people find it useful, and it's something I believe in myself, this is why I intend to take if further -as soon as I'm over with some stupid project here, I'll restart work on libfreevec-ng!

To Peter:

Yes, I know it was part of OpenSuse and Gentoo since very long ago, but it's the first time it is included in the announcement, which was an extra reason for me to be happy about :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:03 am 

it could be nice to be in touch with eglibc team to achieve a better native Power Architecture SIMD support.

greetz,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:52 am 

Quote:
it could be nice to be in touch with eglibc team to achieve a better native Power Architecture SIMD support.

greetz,
I don't think it's worth it. In fact, I don't want to. eglibc is sponsored by Freescale partly and some other companies. If they are interested in libfreevec, the code is free and they are welcome to do it, but I'm not going to divert my efforts to work on a broken by design libc -eglibc is a glibc-fork, it's not a rewrite and most things remain the same, it's just the people that have changed, which is a good thing of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:26 pm 

well, it's a sad situation: i must say i totally agree with you.