All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:44 pm 

acrux, cjg, i hope you guys don't mind user feedback : )

1. had to slightly "patch" the setup scrip as it was persistently failing at check_dependencies with a
Code:
Error: Expected at least 7 tokens for --checklist, have 4.
Use --help to list options.
so i just stubbed out the check-for-missing-pkg logic (as i needed a full install anyway) and the installation proceeded.
Code:
151,157c151,159
< if [ -n "$MISSING_DEPS" ]; then
< for package in $MISSING_DEPS; do
< MISSING_LIST="$MISSING_LIST `find . -name \"${package}#*.pkg.tar.gz\" -printf '%f %p ON\n' | sed 's/.pkg.tar.gz/ /g' | sed 's|./|(|;s|/.* O|) O|' | sort | xargs echo ' '`"
< done
< TITLE="The following packages are needed by the ones you selected"
< do_select --separate-output --checklist "$TITLE" 19 60 12 $MISSING_LIST 2>> $pkgfile
< fi
---
> #### skipping_0
> # if [ -n "$MISSING_DEPS" ]; then
> # for package in $MISSING_DEPS; do
> # MISSING_LIST="$MISSING_LIST `find . -name \"${package}#*.pkg.tar.gz\" -printf '%f %p ON\n' | sed 's/.pkg.tar.gz/ /g' | sed 's|./|(|;s|/.* O|) O|' | sort | xargs echo ' '`"
> # done
> # TITLE="The following packages are needed by the ones you selected"
> # do_select --separate-output --checklist "$TITLE" 19 60 12 $MISSING_LIST 2>> $pkgfile
> # fi
> #### skipping_1
apropos, even with the full install a comparison between the 'marked' and 'needed' logs in tmp reported one package missing
Code:
$ comm -1 -3 marked.4738 needed.4738
xorg-xf86-video-vesa
but that was not important for me anyway.

2. the kernel build does not output the ppc kernels in arch/powerpc/boot/images as the handbook says, but one level higher in arch/powerpc/boot

3. it would've been nice if the default kernel config had modular drm support enabled.

other than that, the experience with CRUX ppc 2.5rc2 has been really smooth so far, and i really like the lean-and-mean distro with up-to-date packages bundled. very nice work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:44 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
apropos, even with the full install a comparison between the 'marked' and 'needed' logs in tmp reported one package missing
Code:
xorg-xf86-video-vesa
VESA shouldn't even be needed on PowerPC, so this really is only a dependency error and not an actual problem for any of our users..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:30 am 

Quote:
acrux, cjg, i hope you guys don't mind user feedback : )
Have been away, sorry. I checked only our own website forum.
Thanks for your feedback!
Quote:
1. had to slightly "patch" the setup scrip as it was persistently failing at check_dependencies with a
Code:
Error: Expected at least 7 tokens for --checklist, have 4.
Use --help to list options.
so i just stubbed out the check-for-missing-pkg logic (as i needed a full install anyway) and the installation proceeded.
all fixed with rc3 but unreleased 'cause hw issue with our workstation.
Quote:

Code:
xorg-xf86-video-vesa
fixed with rc3 but unreleased 'cause hw issue with our workstation. Btw, this is a minor issue because it's only needed by x86 users.
Quote:
2. the kernel build does not output the ppc kernels in arch/powerpc/boot/images as the handbook says, but one level higher in arch/powerpc/boot
that's right. Something in wiki not updated from our old broken server.
Quote:
3. it would've been nice if the default kernel config had modular drm support enabled.

other than that, the experience with CRUX ppc 2.5rc2 has been really smooth so far, and i really like the lean-and-mean distro with up-to-date packages bundled. very nice work!
thank you.

as i can read from our feedbacks we really have a small number of desktop Efika' users then we only include a small and generic boot kernel.

We need donors supporting us with 64bit Power Architecture machines (old Apple G5 too).

We are still waiting for warranty support to solve an hw issue on our quad G5 workstation and we're looking for new hdd for our POWER4+ then putting these machines online too we'll hope to enlarge our devel team... then write us if you are interested!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:41 am 

Quote:
We need donors supporting us with 64bit Power Architecture machines (old Apple G5 too).

We are still waiting for warranty support to solve an hw issue on our quad G5 workstation and we're looking for new hdd for our POWER4+ then putting these machines online too we'll hope to enlarge our devel team... then write us if you are interested!
well, i'd gladly join, but i'm not much of a linux hacker - i'm more of a user. my sphere of competence is realtime 3d graphics, so i don't know how useful i could be as a crux dev. i guess i could get a crux port of some of the popular FOSS game engines, and some of my own stuff (which is heading to the efika, anyway), though i'm not sure there'd be much interest in those.

my exposure to ppc64 constitutes to the university servers back in my younger years (early RS6k), so i've never had one myself. i do have a g4 mini and an efika, though, so i could participate in any ppc32 broad initiatives, beta-test, etc.

anyhow, i've registered on your boards, guys (same username) so we can move the discussion there.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:37 pm 

CRUX PPC 2.5rc4 is now available

CRUX PPC 2.5rc4 is released as two different installation ISO: 32bit and 64bit. The 32bit version is based on a single lib toolchain instead the 64bit one comes with a multilib toolchain. These two versions share the same ports tree.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:13 am 

Quote:
CRUX PPC 2.5rc4 is now available

CRUX PPC 2.5rc4 is released as two different installation ISO: 32bit and 64bit. The 32bit version is based on a single lib toolchain instead the 64bit one comes with a multilib toolchain. These two versions share the same ports tree.
great to hear that. i'll hop right onto it the moment i finish with the current radeon-rewrite tinkering.

what kernel is it, btw, 2.6.29? and the versions of xorg & core packages are the same as in current ilenia repo, i guess?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:59 am 

yes, they are. Linux kernel is 2.6.29.4 . If you are up to date with crux ppc repositories it's ok.

But if needed, you know, every Efika user could update directly from packages released on CRUX PPC 2.5 (32bit) iso.