All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:55 am 

Hi all

I have just completed a netinstall of Ubuntu 8.04 on my EFIKA. It started up ok once the installation had finished. I tried to mount my USB stick so I could copy the boot image in to /boot, but I got an error that the filesystem vfat was not known. I tried to 'modprobe vfat' but got an error about modules.dep not existing.

No major problem I thought, since I can copy files over the network. Wrong! No network interface was detected on the machine. I have followed this thread:

http://www.powerdeveloper.org/forums/vi ... php?t=1429

and made the changes to my interfaces file, but when I try to start networking I get the following error:

eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: no such device

If I try to do 'ifconfig eth0' I get:

error fetching device information: device not found

Any advice on what I can do?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:41 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Hi all

I have just completed a netinstall of Ubuntu 8.04 on my EFIKA. It started up ok once the installation had finished. I tried to mount my USB stick so I could copy the boot image in to /boot, but I got an error that the filesystem vfat was not known. I tried to 'modprobe vfat' but got an error about modules.dep not existing.

No major problem I thought, since I can copy files over the network. Wrong! No network interface was detected on the machine. I have followed this thread:

http://www.powerdeveloper.org/forums/vi ... php?t=1429

and made the changes to my interfaces file, but when I try to start networking I get the following error:

eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: no such device

If I try to do 'ifconfig eth0' I get:

error fetching device information: device not found

Any advice on what I can do?
Can you give the output of "lsmod" and possibly "dmesg | grep 52xx"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:03 am 

Ok, here we go.

dmesg output:
Code:
[ 0.000000] MPC52xx PIC is up and running!
[ 13.495209] ata: MPC52xx IDE/ATA libata driver
[ 13.498457] scsi0 : mpc52xx_ata
lsmod output:
Code:
Module Size Used by
ext3 162888 2
jbd 57716 1 ext3
mbcache 9632 1 ext3
usbhid 35428 0
usb_storage 90536 1
hid 48420 1 usbhid
libusual 18844 1 usb_storage
sg 43268 0
sd_mod 31344 5
pata_mpc52xx 10528 2
libata 182744 1 pata_mpc52xx
ohci_hcd 38756 0
scsi_mod 192916 4 usb_storage,sg,sd_mod,libata
usbcore 173640 5 usbhid,usb_storage,libusual,ohci_hcd
windfarm_core 14544 0
fuse 57620 1
I also get the following error on boot:
Code:
FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-powerpc/modules.dep: No such file or directory
uname -a does in fact report 2.6.24-19-powerpc, but this directory does not exist in /lib/modules. I tried creating a symlink with the foldername mentioned in the error pointing at a modules directory which does exist, but then I started getting errors of 'invalid module format'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:10 am 

Quote:
I also get the following error on boot:
Code:
FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-powerpc/modules.dep: No such file or directory
uname -a does in fact report 2.6.24-19-powerpc, but this directory does not exist in /lib/modules. I tried creating a symlink with the foldername mentioned in the error pointing at a modules directory which does exist, but then I started getting errors of 'invalid module format'.
You probably have updated your kernel -or ubuntu did that for you. This message appears when you update your kernel -and the /lib/modules folder gets removed for a newer version and then you do a depmod -a.

You should reinstall the kernel package.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:28 am 

Quote:
You probably have updated your kernel -or ubuntu did that for you.
I didn't do it so it must have been done by Ubuntu. By the installer perhaps?
Quote:
This message appears when you update your kernel -and the /lib/modules folder gets removed for a newer version and then you do a depmod -a.
Could it explain the problems I'm having with networking and vfat support? I also notice that my USB CD-ROM doesn't work in Ubuntu...
Quote:
You should reinstall the kernel package.
Any suggestions how I can do that with no Internet access on this machine? I can boot an Ubuntu live CD on my Mac and have formatted a USB memory stick as ext3 so I can use to transfer files on to the EFIKA's Ubuntu installation (if that helps...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:29 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Could it explain the problems I'm having with networking and vfat support? I also notice that my USB CD-ROM doesn't work in Ubuntu...
It exactly explains them. Everything but the modules required to boot (disk, boot filesystem) are in /lib/modules/`uname -r`/ - including the network driver, usb modules and other filesystems.
Quote:
Any suggestions how I can do that with no Internet access on this machine?
How did you install Ubuntu?

The kernel package should be on whatever media you installed it with, and Ubuntu should be happy to use that as a repository to get it from.

You only need to reinstall it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:34 am 

Quote:
Quote:
It exactly explains them. Everything but the modules required to boot (disk, boot filesystem) are in /lib/modules/`uname -r`/ - including the network driver, usb modules and other filesystems.
At least I know that if I solve one I solve the other ;-)
Quote:
Quote:
Any suggestions how I can do that with no Internet access on this machine?
How did you install Ubuntu?
I booted efi804_netinstall from a USB memory stick and did the netinstall from there. Is there a better way?
Quote:
The kernel package should be on whatever media you installed it with, and Ubuntu should be happy to use that as a repository to get it from.

You only need to reinstall it.
Can I download the package manually, put it on a memory stick and install it from there? Or do I need to download an ISO of Ubuntu and use that? If the latter, I'm probably stuck since I've got no CD-ROM support!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:42 am 

I guess, you used an installer and boot kernel from genesi.hu. In this case the problem might be (99.9%), that the installer installed a newer version of the kernel, than was available at the time when I created these. Please check the Ubuntu threads, I documented a couple of times how to use mkvmlinuz to create a bootable kernel.

Personally I don't have Ubuntu any more on my systems (got a bit fed up by their slow response to bug reports). My last Ubuntu partition was over written just recently by AROS tests :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:54 am 

Quote:
I guess, you used an installer and boot kernel from genesi.hu.
Yes, I used the ones from here:

http://www.genesi.hu/ubuntu/
Quote:
In this case the problem might be (99.9%), that the installer installed a newer version of the kernel, than was available at the time when I created these.
Ahh, that makes sense.
Quote:
Please check the Ubuntu threads, I documented a couple of times how to use mkvmlinuz to create a bootable kernel.
Will do. Do I need anything beyond the base Xubuntu install to do that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:00 pm 

No, AFAIK, it is part of the base system. At least I don't recall that I ever had to install it separately.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:12 pm 

Thanks, I will give it a try. I searched for all of your posts on mkvmlinuz in the Ubuntu forum and a bit confused. There are several posts with different parameters, and I'm not sure which I should use. Also, one mentioned applying patches to the kernel. Any chance of a hint as to which post I need to be looking at? ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:40 pm 

AFAIR, 8.04 already had all the necessary patches in, except sound. So there is no need to compile a new kernel, and sound can't be added, as there is no sound patch available for the kernel version used in 8.04

Here is a random sample:
Code:
mkvmlinuz -o peg804_boot -a chrp -k vmlinux -i initrd.img -z -v
First of all, change to the /boot directory and list it. You will see similar names, but most likely not the same ones. The options are:

-o : output, this is how the resulting kernel image is called. Please don't overwrite an existing one, so you have a chance to back out :-)
-k : vmlinux file
-i : initrd file

The rest should stay the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:53 pm 

Thank you Peter. I have just used the mkvmlinuz line you posted and it successfully created the file (I called it /boot/bootimage). I then booted the EFIKA with:

boot hd:0 boot/bootimage root=/dev/sda1

It booted successfully with no more errors about modules.dep. And I now have vfat support! Networking is still not working, but I might have borked the interface file when I was trying to get networking up before. I might try a reinstall and then go straight for mkvmlinuz and see if that works any better.

Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:05 pm 

Ahh, the NIC does work but I needed to do 'ifup eth0' in a terminal to make it work.