All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:54 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Isn't that just childish?
maybe yes, but don't get it on the philosophical level, isn't war childish ? isn't competition childish ? isn't capitalism childish ? ;-)

seriously, there's nothing surprising in witnessing such behaviors. The amount of angry or disappointed users about it is quite important. I'd be curious to know after 2/3 months the accurate amount of MOS 2.0 licenses that will be sold.

If only 50% of the mos userbase is ready to get a licence, there will be no interest in developing MOS 2.1 or further updates and that will kill the system for ever.

it's a shame that such a beautiful and promising OS is turning to a small private club.

I don't feel rewarded for buying an Efika 2 years ago. I feel abandoned.
I understand that many are disappointed by the price and licensing scheme. And to tell you something, I am too. I would have suggested a maximum price of 100 EUR, but better in the rabge of 50-80 EUR. Cheap board - cheap OS. That would have been *my* math.

The MorphOS-team decided other. And I agree that critics should be said, but OTOH I am quite pragmatic and know the MorphOS-team good enough to know they considered many issues but decided that way now and will keep this decision for a while (not ncessarily forever). I have the Pegasos and Efika because of MorphOS, thus I swallow the pill and pay the bill (small poetry ;-)).

But I hope at least that they may reconsider not to rise the price to 150 EUR in two weeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:04 am 
Genesi

One must start with a price to determine value. It is not by putting together a lot of work and capital that one ends up with a product of "value." People have to want it and buy it. The pricing has been set. Let's see how it does.

Each of us, starting from our income, considers at any moment what we can sell, exchange or buy. There are therefore an infinite number of "values" simultaneously about the world. In this situation, the size of the "world" is limited, but the exposure gained by the release of 2.0 may increase the opportunity beyond the scope of the currently available hardware.

We don't expect many EFIKA or Open Client units to sell (there are not that many left -- less than 100 worldwide). This opportunity passed at least a year ago. We produced the last EFIKA boards in 2007. We won't be producing them again. Likewise, the Pegasos/ODW were last produced and shipped in 2006. Our investment in MorphOS 2.0 was primarily motivated by our desire to support a pledge we had made to certain individuals -- to speak metaphorically -- to keep the dream alive. We think the release has accomplished that. In terms of our investment, we are satisfied with the result despite the delay.

So, let's see what happens, as 'the future' is yet to come...

R&B :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:28 pm 

Quote:
One must start with a price to determine value. It is not by putting together a lot of work and capital that one ends up with a product of "value." People have to want it and buy it. The pricing has been set. Let's see how it does.
I would have no problem with the price. It might be high but I don't like this hardware lock so I am not going to buy it at all. I can understand their panic because of piracy but that is the wrong way in my eyes.

Sorry guys, maybe next time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:52 pm 

i never had the opportunity to use amiga. i was hoping i would be able to try out morphos, but it is way too expensive. i dont have an efika either, i am waiting to see if something faster will be released that linux will run well on.

matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:54 am 

I've been a long supporter of MorphOS and I am sad to have to say I am leaving because of this price. I think it was a huge mistake on the part of the MOS team to go this route. I'll still hold on to my hardware, but being in Afghanistan for the last year (WOOT! come home in August) and not being able to get it at the discount pisses me off, and the price to begin with disgusts me even more. I thought the "Amiga" tax died with the Amiga. I guess I was wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:09 am 

The price tag obviously puts MorphOS for a hobby basis out of reach for many people.

Me, I have not yet decided what to do. A third of the 150 EUR would have made the decision much easier. Then it would have been no hesitation from my side. Perhaps half of it would still make it an easy call. But I feel that 150 EUR is a bit over the top, especially so with so much uncertainty and unanswered questions hanging in the air.

I have registered and received the account information for payment, but I haven't yet sent any money.

I can possibly afford the money, despite currently being unemployed. But I'd really like to see an option to buy "sub-licenses" for additional machines after that expensive one has been purchased. For *a symbolic* sum of a Euro amount per unit that you could count on your left hands fingers, say 1.99 EUR per additional machine.

I would also like to see an option to *transfer* the OS licenses to other MorphOS capable machines in my possession. And to other people as well for that matter; if I sell my MorphOS hardware I will no longer have use for MorphOS, but the buyer of course will.

I would also like to know with certainty how much this license will be worth in the future. I mean, will I have to chip up another 150 EUR if I want MorphOS 2.1, or will future OS upgrades (at least 2.x) be covered by the current fee? I.e. how "future proof" is it? This is an important issue for me.

I will probably buy MorphOS at the end anyway. But I think that the whole licensing part (including the money amount) is perhaps the least developed and thought through part of the entire OS release, and at a price of 150 EUR I'm pretty convinced that the MorphOS team will earn *less money in total* than they would have at a price of 75 EUR, and more seriously, this with the additional penalty of a smaller than necessary user and developer base. If so, it would be unfortunate for the platform.

Setting a price tag is difficult, but a simple market survey could help to determine the optimal price. Has this been done? I don't know. But now the price is set. And now when a lot of people already have bought the OS (the most loyal and enthusiastic customer base, one must presume) it would be unfair to them if the price went down instead of up after July the 15th?

I think the 111 EUR should be made *permanent* and be set as a "MorphOS Ultimate License" with additional value attached to it (like for instance ability to use it on more than one machine, free upgrades under the entire 2.x development path and reduced price on 3.0, and perhaps free access to full versions of other programs from MorphOS team members (kind of a super bundle)), and then a second "MorphOS Budget License" to be introduced with a slimmed down and more limited offer (a much lower price (say 49 EUR for the sake of discussion) but forever fixed to one person, one machine, and a small upgrade fee to each feature upgrade on the 2.x path (bugfixes for free of course! ;-)), no discount on 3.0, a small fee for "Super Bundle", etc).

I don't know. But I think some adjustments to the licensing and pricing strategy would benefit everyone; the MorphOS team, the users, the developers, the entire platform.

BTW, I *really* like MorphOS 2.0, and as I said, I will probably buy it! :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:21 pm 

I agree on the critics on the price.
My hope was a price less than 60Euro, where I would have bought 3 licenses.

At 150Euros I might buy a single license or even none ... because of the licence lock to the mainboard.
( I own 3 PEGs at 3 different locations, so I never use 2 PEGs the same time ...so I'd need some kind of "floating licences")

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:41 pm 

Happily paid for it yesterday and got my keyfile within a few hours. Enjoying it very much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:57 am 

Not perfect happily I registered one of my 3 Pegs.

There are not many OS left, that charge 150 Euros just for an OS people use noncommercially.

Hoping for an end of the node-lock-licencing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:28 pm 

collateral damage of the morphos 2 price :

not my initial idea (peg users will be happy)

http://cgi.ebay.fr/Vends-Pegasos-I-Apri ... dZViewItem

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:01 am 

Quote:
collateral damage of the morphos 2 price :

not my initial idea (peg users will be happy)

http://cgi.ebay.fr/Vends-Pegasos-I-Apri ... dZViewItem
Yeah... that'll really teach an entirely unrelated company with an unrelated product a lesson. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:55 am 

Quote:
Not perfect happily I registered one of my 3 Pegs.

There are not many OS left, that charge 150 Euros just for an OS people use noncommercially.

Hoping for an end of the node-lock-licencing.
I bought it a few days ago. Got the key file the same day.

To me it's a no brainer really, I have spent much more than this before on bounties, hardware and third party applications. MorphOS is *definitely* worth supporting! :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:27 pm 

Of course, nobody was forced to buy a peg/efika nor MorphOS.

Those who did buy , bought because of certain expectations.
My expectation for buying a few Pegs was a mixture of amiga history and the dream of a lightening OS.
Unfortunately the was no hint, that the OS will be that expensive and node-locked. If I knew about this 4 years ago, I wouldn't have started with MorphOs/Peg.

Although I bought one license for my 3 Pegs, I lost my belief in my MorphOS-future, maybe the next update is 200 Euros and its license will require to be permanently online ?... this doesn't match the spirit of my expectations to Peg and MorphOs.

MorphOs-Team should think about this and correct their roadmap, if they're interested to keep their users.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:15 am 

Quote:
maybe the next update is 200 Euros and its license will require to be permanently online ?...
No. The next update aka MorphOS 2.1 will be free for registered users. It would be nice if you stop spreading such misleading messages, even if it has been thought as a kind of bitter irony.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:15 am 

Quote:
The next update aka MorphOS 2.1 will be free for registered users.
I suppose it will also work in non registered systems...