All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:52 pm 

Hello Peter,

since I started using openSUSE 10.x on the Pegasos II, I always have the problem that by default always the Gbit port is chosen instead of the VIA one.

Since only the latter one is actually connected (because of MorphOS), this results in me having to manually activate the other connection first before I'm able to go online.

Could you tell me please how I can force openSUSE to use the VIA port per default instead?

Many thanks in advance,
Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:02 am 

Just start YaST network configuration, ('yast2 lan' from the root command line), and 'delete' the Marvell port. This way it won't be configured, just the VIA network adapter will be used.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:52 pm 

Thank you - unfortunately that had been the first thing I wanted to do in the beginning as well, of course, but this is impossible. If I select the GBit device there, the "delete" button is ghosted.

Thus my hope was there is some cryptic way of manually editing some configuration files to force its removal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:02 am 

Is it really configured then? Or just listed while booting (which is normal).

Anyway, you can 'su -' to root, go to /etc/sysconfig/network and find the file for your Gbit device. It'll be most likely ifcfg-eth1 or similar, saying 'Marvell blabla' in the NAME field in the file. Open it in your favorite text editor ('vi ifcfg-eth1'), and search for the STARTMODE field and change its value to 'off'. The device will be still listed on startup, but will not do anything, not even with 'ifup'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:28 am 

Thank you for your help, but there is just the VIA one included in the config files.

And in the network settings using YaST, if I select the second entry (which I can't remove), just the BusID (mv643xx_eth.0) is written and that a configuration is not possible because the kernel device is not available.

But at least the module for the mv643xx is available (lsmod) and "modprobe" results in no output at all, i.e. no error message or so, thus I assume this is ok.

I spend some time again to google around regarding this to cure my zero knowledge in this regard, but unfortunately I couldn't find anything that helped me further. Thus I'd be very grateful in case you'd have any further hint.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:44 am 

Well, if it does not even have a config file, than it is not in use. In this case, I don't really understand, what is your problem. Is there anything really malfunctioning?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:26 pm 

Quote:
Is there anything really malfunctioning?
Not "really malfunctioning", just annoying. Therefore I didn't really care in the previous years, but now that my wife is using the Pegasos as well instead her old PC, I'd like to remove the problem.

As mentioned, per default when I boot into openSUSE, eth0 is used for the internet connection (which refers, as ifconfig confirms, the Marvell device).

Thus, since the GBit port is not connected to my router, I can't go online until I've manually selected the VIA port using "nm-applet".

Therefore I'd like to force the VIA port to be the default one instead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:07 pm 

Quote:
As mentioned, per default when I boot into openSUSE, eth0 is used for the internet connection (which refers, as ifconfig confirms, the Marvell device).
Just want to add it doesn't matter if the VIA device is eth1 or eth0, it's always the Marvell one which is the default network device when openSUSE is started.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:10 am 

After vainly trying some further things with the help of a linux-forum.de user, I finally re-installed 10.3, but the problem remained.

During the installation, first I connected the Pegasos to the router using the GBit port instead (originally I just used the VIA one due to MorphOS), but since no internet connection could be established, I changed it back to the VIA port then.

Thus I wonder now if the reason for my problem is a hardware fault (never noticed, since I never used the Marvell port) or if maybe just the firmware is too old (which I doubt, though, since then my problem would have been more common and someone of you would have known about it)?

My OF version is 1.2 (20040810112413) - which I suppose to be the one used by most of us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:15 am 

I also use the very same firmware, and don't have this problem, so in this case it is most likely not a firmware problem.

I use the VIA port exclusively, as some Linux distributions lack proper Marvell support, and it never changed accidentally to Marvell.

In one of your posts you mention, that you don't even have a config file for Marvell. Then it also does not have a network configured. In Gnome/KDE there might be a popup, that new hardware is found and if you want to configure it, but it is safe to cancel the dialog, or even disable the applet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:33 am 

No, I'm not prompted for it, unfortunately, nor can I configure it manually. But since I experienced two other problems also, and one of them being kino quiting after some time during capture (also if audio is disabled, since I read about a corresponding bug), I gave up on that idea and instead let my wife use kino on an x86 notebook.

Thus for the time being I will continue to manually set the network, using nm-applet, and once I'll find enough time in future I'll google some more to learn if there is a way to automatize that by some script at boot time. - Anyway many thanks for the hints you gave me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:45 am 

OK, so you use the nm-applet. That's an important piece of information. That was known to be broken for multiple network cards, so you had to change it manually from 'ifup' to 'network manager' during installation.

Kino: let me know, what your problems were, as I used kino to transfer movies for a digital camera to my Pegasos and I also suspect that you got Kino from my Packman PPC repository :-) I don't have a camera now, but can try to get one...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:22 pm 

Quote:
OK, so you use the nm-applet. That's an important piece of information.
Huh, I thought I had mentioned it right from the start, sorry - but at least in my posting from April 26 I did. ;-)

I'll have a closer look at it, especially the kino bug, at the weekend again and keep you updated.