All times are UTC-06:00




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:26 am
Posts: 348
(From the company announcement http://www.codex.gr/article/libfreevec_103_released)
Quote:
After long hours of testing and debugging, CODEX releases libfreevec 1.0.3, get it here!

For benchmarks, check http://www.freevec.org/functions
Please feel free to report any bugs, performance gains (even losses :-)
Thanks!


Last edited by markos on Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:19 am
Posts: 271
Location: Italy/Greece
really really a great news!!
I'll go to test it on my iBook G4 :-D


Acrux

_________________
acrux _at_ linuxmail _dot_ org


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:26 am
Posts: 348
And here is the software that I used to create all the benchmarks.

http://www.codex.gr/article/benchsuite_102_released

Every function has its own testing/benchmarking software and you can configure the number of threads (yes, you can actually run the same test in parallel and measure the actual overhead), the number of loops, min/max sizes, test aligned/unaligned access, same/random data (random data access is much more realistic than an artificial benchmark clearing the cache each time) and other features.

The benchmark data are written on a SQLite database, so you can work on them afterwards any way you like!

Though developed for libfreevec, benchsuite is easily adapted to work with any function.
(perhaps I will include a small howto if there is demand).

Anyway, enjoy!


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:06 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:39 am
Posts: 1589
Location: Austin, TX
Quote:
Though developed for libfreevec, benchsuite is easily adapted to work with any function.
(perhaps I will include a small howto if there is demand).

Anyway, enjoy!
I hereby demand it :)

_________________
Matt Sealey


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 9
Location: New York, USA
Hi. Unfortunately I can't download this package :(Web-site www.codex.gr can not be found from my computer (but Google has cached pages from it) and also I can't find download section on freevec.org ...

Please advice where can I get these sources? Thank you!

P.S. It looks like codex.gr was expired yesterday:

Domain Name:codex.gr
Domain Handle:d4a2db3c7bf034c10ad90e07cada7a7df-gr
Protocol Number:979899
Creation Date:19-4-2004
Expiration Date:19-4-2008
Updated Date:24-4-2007
Comment:For a period of 15 days following a domain name expiration, a new registration application for the domain name and its bundle names forms may only be filed by the owner of the expired domain
Registrar:FORTHNET A.E
Registrar Referral URL:http://www.forthnet.gr
Registrar Referral Email:sme-admin@forthnet.gr
Whois Server:
Bundle Name:codex.gr
Name Server:dns1.name-services.com
Name Server:dns2.name-services.com
Name Server:dns3.name-services.com
Name Server:dns4.name-services.com
Name Server:dns5.name-services.com

_________________
Alexander Shabarshin


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:26 am
Posts: 348
Quote:
Hi. Unfortunately I can't download this package :(Web-site www.codex.gr can not be found from my computer (but Google has cached pages from it) and also I can't find download section on freevec.org ...

Please advice where can I get these sources? Thank you!

P.S. It looks like codex.gr was expired yesterday:
Hi,

Yes there was a problem with my registrar, though I had paid for the domain's renewal, they didn't actually do it, so the domain expired. It should be working ok now, so please try again in the same URL :)


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 9
Location: New York, USA
Quote:
Quote:
Hi. Unfortunately I can't download this package :(Web-site www.codex.gr can not be found from my computer (but Google has cached pages from it) and also I can't find download section on freevec.org ...

Please advice where can I get these sources? Thank you!

P.S. It looks like codex.gr was expired yesterday:
Hi,

Yes there was a problem with my registrar, though I had paid for the domain's renewal, they didn't actually do it, so the domain expired. It should be working ok now, so please try again in the same URL :)
Thanks! Link is working now :)

_________________
Alexander Shabarshin


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:26 am
Posts: 348
Quote:
Thanks! Link is working now :)
Cool, I would really really appreciate any feedback on the library :)


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 9
Location: New York, USA
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks! Link is working now :)
Cool, I would really really appreciate any feedback on the library :)
I can't build benchsuit on my PowerBook G4...

cd libfreevec-1.0.3
configure
make
make install
ldconfig
cd ..

cd benchsuite-1.0.2
configure
make
Code:
bench_strncpy.o: In function `main':
/............./benchsuite-1.0.2/src/bench_strncpy.c:106: undefined reference to `vec_strncpy'
/............./benchsuite-1.0.2/src/bench_strncpy.c:106: undefined reference to `vec_strncpy'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [bench_strncpy] Ошибка 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Ошибка 1
make: *** [all] Ошибка 2
What do I do wrong?

Update: put /usr/local/lib/freevec to /etc/ld.so.conf (and ldconfig after that) doesn't help, only copy libfreevec.* from /usr/local/lib/freevec to /usr/local/lib helps...

Update 2: I have standard Debian 4.0 etch and I can't run sh-scripts from distribution, because of unknown option -executable that used for find, also with number of threads more than 1 sqlite3 can't write to database - so I edited script to avoid -executable and with threads number equals 1...

_________________
Alexander Shabarshin


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 9
Location: New York, USA
Another question: Should random.dat consist of random data? On my system I have random.dat with zeros after running prepare_data.sh...

_________________
Alexander Shabarshin


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:26 am
Posts: 348
Quote:
Another question: Should random.dat consist of random data? On my system I have random.dat with zeros after running prepare_data.sh...
LOL,

I should have used /dev/random instead of /dev/zero in prepare_data.sh!!

Sorry about that, fixed in svn :)


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 9
Location: New York, USA
Quote:
Quote:
Another question: Should random.dat consist of random data? On my system I have random.dat with zeros after running prepare_data.sh...
LOL,

I should have used /dev/random instead of /dev/zero in prepare_data.sh!!

Sorry about that, fixed in svn :)
Could you please tell me SVN path to checkout this source code?
On svn://svn.codex.gr/trunk/benchsuite it's still /dev/zero

P.S. With random data (that was generated by simple C-program) test-strncpy is failed...

_________________
Alexander Shabarshin


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:26 am
Posts: 348
Quote:
Could you please tell me SVN path to checkout this source code?
On svn://svn.codex.gr/trunk/benchsuite it's still /dev/zero

P.S. With random data (that was generated by simple C-program) test-strncpy is failed...
Same repo, could you try again now? I removed the shell script (was taking ages to populate ~6MB of random data) and replaced it with a C file that is producing real random data that includes NO zero bytes (which were causing the test-strncpy test program to fail for obvious reasons, it was mistakingly copying data up to the wrong position). Now it reports success.

Also, I've added some -work in progress- test programs for some altivec math replacement functions that I'm working on (sinf, cosf, etc, replacements). These are still not committed in the libfreevec repo so the test will fail :-/

Thanks for the feedback, it's really appreciated :)


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 9
Location: New York, USA
Quote:
Same repo, could you try again now? I removed the shell script (was taking ages to populate ~6MB of random data) and replaced it with a C file that is producing real random data that includes NO zero bytes (which were causing the test-strncpy test program to fail for obvious reasons, it was mistakingly copying data up to the wrong position). Now it reports success.

Also, I've added some -work in progress- test programs for some altivec math replacement functions that I'm working on (sinf, cosf, etc, replacements). These are still not committed in the libfreevec repo so the test will fail :-/

Thanks for the feedback, it's really appreciated :)
Also I noticed that sometimes you use random() that is not ANSI standard instead of rand() and INT_MAX and CHAR_MAX instead of RAND_MAX. And why in strcmp reported alighnments are -1 and 0?

P.S. Now all tests are passed ;)

_________________
Alexander Shabarshin


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:26 am
Posts: 348
Quote:
Also I noticed that sometimes you use random() that is not ANSI standard instead of rand() and INT_MAX and CHAR_MAX instead of RAND_MAX.
Fixed thanks again :)
Quote:
And why in strcmp reported alighnments are -1 and 0?
Where exactly do you mean?


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 

All times are UTC-06:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
PowerDeveloper.org: Copyright © 2004-2012, Genesi USA, Inc. The Power Architecture and Power.org wordmarks and the Power and Power.org logos and related marks are trademarks and service marks licensed by Power.org.
All other names and trademarks used are property of their respective owners. Privacy Policy
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group