All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:36 am 

CRUX PPC 2.5rc2 32/64 bit multilib includes kernel-2.6.28.5, glibc 2.8, gcc 4.3.3 and binutils 2.19.1 .
ftp:/ /ftp.crux.it/crux ppc/test/crux-ppc-2.5rc2.iso
ftp:/ /ftp.crux.it/crux ppc/test/crux-ppc-2.5rc2.iso.md5

please stay tuned and give us a feedback on this forum topic.
http://cruxppc.sunsite.dk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1001

---
GNU/Linux CRUX PPC Project - http://cruxppc.crux.it/

Last edited by acrux on Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:27 am 

this week we'll replace our own server then 2.5rc3 'll be officially released.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:11 am 

we are obliged to delay our own server replacement... but stay tuned the next week. We 're working hard for You!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:06 pm 

i had a problem booting 2.5rc2 from a flash key on an efika5k2. it gets to the point where it tries to mount root and fails. admittedly, i was passing naively root=/dev/sda1, resulting in the following message:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3348/341 ... 282e_b.jpg

and here's what i passed at boot (plus firmware version):
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3615/341 ... 37c5_b.jpg

the flash key was partitioned with a dos partition table, with a sole ext2 partition (0x83), containing the distro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:00 am 

Quote:
i had a problem booting 2.5rc2 from a flash key on an efika5k2. it gets to the point where it tries to mount root and fails. admittedly, i was passing naively root=/dev/sda1, resulting in the following message:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3348/341 ... 282e_b.jpg

and here's what i passed at boot (plus firmware version):
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3615/341 ... 37c5_b.jpg

the flash key was partitioned with a dos partition table, with a sole ext2 partition (0x83), containing the distro.
wellcome to CRUX PPC.

ok, if you are able to boot efika kernel you have correctly formatted your partition with:
Code:
mkfs.ext2 -I 128
Now about your hw config... do you have only usb mass storage attached to your Efika? Then your /dev/sda1 is correct on the contrary if you have also a 2.5" HDD where you're going to install CRUX PPC 2.5 then it 'd be /dev/sdb1

Anyway you absolutely need to add rootdelay=10 .
Code:
boot scsi:0 ppc/efika/zImage.chrp root=/dev/sda1 rootdelay=10 panic=20

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:55 am 

thanks, acrux. the rootdelay option did help. now booting gets to the init phase and panics there.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3611/341 ... 44cb_b.jpg

and yes, i was originally running disk-less, but as of today it has an old seagate attached and the flash key is seen as sdb (as you can see on the most recent shot).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:46 pm 

Quote:
thanks, acrux. the rootdelay option did help. now booting gets to the init phase and panics there.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3611/341 ... 44cb_b.jpg
This, normally, doesn't happen. Maybe some corrupted files when you copied files and directories from iso.

Please, format again your usb mass storage device and give another try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:39 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Anyway you absolutely need to add rootdelay=10
Does asynchronous scsi/libata enumeration in 2.6.29 make this any better?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:45 pm 

Quote:
This, normally, doesn't happen. Maybe some corrupted files when you copied files and directories from iso.

done. reformatted and re-copied, verified the copy too (diff'ed) - same result - panic at init. i guess it's md5 time:

MD5 (crux-ppc-2.5rc2.iso) = 065c71fdba88f6d9b85d4ea68690f4ed

i also have to make a confession: since your site has been totally inaccessible for me since i started the whole thing, i had to hunt the iso elsewhere on the 'net. the place i got it from did not have .md5 either. *gulp*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:49 am 

Quote:
Quote:

done. reformatted and re-copied, verified the copy too (diff'ed) - same result - panic at init. i guess it's md5 time:

i also have to make a confession: since your site has been totally inaccessible for me since i started the whole thing, i had to hunt the iso elsewhere on the 'net. the place i got it from did not have .md5 either. *gulp*
Our server is sadly down (as our development machine too!) Anyway which filesystem are you using for the root partition? I've seen that you're using the kernel image found on the installation media (it's OK), but did you copy /lib/modules/linux-$(uname -r) from the isntallation media to the root filesystem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:30 pm 

Quote:
Our server is sadly down (as our development machine too!) Anyway which filesystem are you using for the root partition?
hi, Giuseppe. yes, i've noticed that condition about crux server, hope you get it up and running again soon. re my boot attempts, they were all made from the same flash key formatted (and re-formatted) with ext2.
Quote:
I've seen that you're using the kernel image found on the installation media (it's OK), but did you copy /lib/modules/linux-$(uname -r) from the isntallation media to the root filesystem?
unfortunately i don't have access to the installation media. here is exactly what i did:

* i hunted the iso down to a random site (googled for the .iso file name). as it turns out that iso happens to be the original media one *yay!*

* i partitioned and formatted a flash key (to be precise, a 4GB memory stick card in a MS reader) with a sole ext2 partition (under OSX, if that would matter). the opensuse installation seemed to like it, so i assume it's a valid ext2 partition.

* i copied the content of the iso (mounted as a volume, again, under OSX) to the flash key (cp -R -p /iso /flash). i even diff'ed the result on my later attempt - found no issues with the copy.

* i attempted to boot, with the following configuration:

keyboard and flash key connected directly (i.e. sans hubs) to the efika. originally the attempts were without an HDD attached, then with an HDD attached. in the latter case HDD was partitioned amiga style (from within morphos), so nothing usable from crux, i assume.

boot command was:
Code:
boot scsi:0 ppc/efika/zImage.chrp root=/dev/sdb1 rootdelay=10
(rootdelay option courtesy of acrux)

as you can see from the above, i have not even been able to visit the original crux site and read instructions, so i may have missed something essential. i did read the http://cruxppc.sunsite.dk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1001 thread, though.

Last edited by blu on Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:23 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Anyway you absolutely need to add rootdelay=10
Does asynchronous scsi/libata enumeration in 2.6.29 make this any better?
i've not tested it booting from a usb mass storage. That's a test i perform only for stable release iso.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:30 pm 

Quote:
Quote:

your crux-ppc-2.5rc2.iso.md5 is good. I tried to reproduce your scenario but with a nvidia agp nv11 and it worked like a charme
http://yfrog.com/77dsc00130fj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:40 pm 

Quote:
your crux-ppc-2.5rc2.iso.md5 is good. I tried to reproduce your scenario but with a nvidia agp nv11 and it worked like a charme
http://yfrog.com/77dsc00130fj
that's good to know - it means that there's a minor technicality somewhere that breaks it for me, but i'll hunt it down.

like last night when i was installing suse - the inst32 boot-up never reached command prompt - it was getting me into some automated menu system. only after a couple of attempts did i notice that the inst32 loading was failing before completion, due to a hapless usb hub i had just routed my flash stick through, which hub did not have its power supply on so it was overloading and shutting down my usb bus half-way through inst32 loading. as a result, the system would apparently run some salvage menu. removing the hub from the picture sorted out the situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:42 pm 

ok, to make the long story short:

* apparently the original ext2 format of the flash card (as produced by the osx ext driver) was not to the taste of the distro; stick was eventually re-initialized from within suse.

* after several failures to copy the content of the iso to the stick when the stick reader was connected directly to the efika (due to total shutdown of the usb bus half way through the operation), stick reader was put on a self-powered hub. it should be noted that this was the only occasion when this stick reader has caused such issues when directly connected - otherwise it's been running that way for the past few days, carrying large file transfers flawlessly.

* as efika would not see the stick reader when attached to said hub, zImage.chrp and system.map had to be copied over to the ATA drive (currently hosting suse).

voila - booted crux 2.5rc2

now, onto getting xorg 1.5 up and running (man, i hate building that one)