All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: ZFS sur Linux
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:14 am 

Juste une petite question,

L'un de vous sait-il si et/où je pourrais trouver une version récente des sources ou du binaire ZFS pour FUSE/Linux sur Power ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:00 am 

c'est une question à poser à Peter 'czp" Czanik, mais en anglais :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:59 pm 

I tested ZFS on PPC last time when it was brought up in this thread: http://www.powerdeveloper.org/forums/vi ... hlight=zfs

I also tested it on x86 FreeBSD recently, which is told to be the best implementation outside of Solaris, but it was far from production quality even there. One gigabyte of RAM was used by ZFS alone and even then I got kernel panics with 'out of memory' messages :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:41 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I also tested it on x86 FreeBSD recently, which is told to be the best implementation outside of Solaris, but it was far from production quality even there. One gigabyte of RAM was used by ZFS alone and even then I got kernel panics with 'out of memory' messages :-)
32-bit PPC has a problem regarding the current implementation of ZFS - it relies on atomic operations on 64-bit values which is not possible on 32-bit PPC without the use of an extra locking variable (on 64-bit you can use the load/store with update instructions directly). It's a lot of work to build these extra locks into the source code and keep it fine-grained enough to maintain performance.

There was a discussion on the FreeBSD list about it a while back, but I don't think much came of it.