All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:26 am 

Hi PowerDeveloper members,

Im really not too sure if Genesi/PowerDeveloper are accepting any more project ideas but I've only just stumbled across this amazing little product.

Background: I am a software developer and have written software for use on *nix/Windows operating systems, standard pc hardware etc. but never done development on an embedded system. I have been thinking about a design for some type of passive wifi analysis device but was yet to find a platform I thought suitable for such a project until I found the Efika!

So, if project proposals are still open; I hope you like my concept. And if entries are closed...Sorry, I guess you get this alot.

Ed Watson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:16 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
wifi analysis device but was yet to find a platform I thought suitable for such a project until I found the Efika!
Hi Ed,

Proposals will be open later this week, for 5121E, 8610 and ColdFire boards in development.

You can submit it then. However, I'm very interested in this.. what is the actual reason to do passive wifi analysis?

Right now I would reject your project proposal for a board, since I do not actually understand what you intend to do :D

Is this to enhance security of wireless networks and find rogue APs or unwelcome freeloaders, or something different? If you could post more about it I am very very interested in this kind of project and it would definitely be worth approving if fleshed out.. feel free to post it here :D

I'll encourage all other developers to discuss their proposals online too. Remember this isn't about getting a free board, but about collaborating as a community to create some unique, exciting uses of Power Architecture and now Coldfire technology in embedded systems, which were perhaps previously inaccessible or expensive to get into. You can start collaborating now! :)

Projects is set up to allow multiple developers to blog on the same project - group work is very much encouraged.

I will be adding some "placeholder" projects to the system where developers can simply add an interest to the project or add an idea. I'm not sure how this will work yet.. it's hard to wedge into the current CMS.

Post subject: More details....
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:04 am 

Hi, oh thats good to know. I don't actually need to board for this project, because I can prototype it on a laptop but as you said, the idea of collaboration is what drives the open source community. I have used linux for about 4-5 years now (still quite new, in comparison to alot of other users) and although I program for work under linux, I have yet to feel confident enough to contribute reliable solution to the community.
Some more ideas about the project:
Wifi access logging (GPS co-ords)

Or, a twist on that idea; a portable access point, logging all clients who access it. It seems a bit of a boring "data logging" device, the technology and software is simple, but could be useful in security/penetration testing scenarios.

Thanks again,

Ed Watson