All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:18 pm 

My major point of critics is the node locking licence, as it might render spare parts useless.
The MorphOS2.0-licence will die that moment, the according PEG/Efika will die.

Even on Amigas you could move the Kickstart-ROMs out of a damaged system to the new one.
With this in mind, I got 3 Pegs, as I allready expected this hardware to become rare very soon.

Maybe it's the DRM spirit of these days to make software & data, which cannot be bought forever.
Maybe I'm expecting the impossible due to some retro feelings.

Maybe it's time to change something ... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:49 am 

when your peg will be dead, send the motherboard to the mos team and ask for a refund.

this way, you can't buy a software for ever, but they also can't keep your money for ever. ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:13 pm 

This sounds quite simple .. but I allready found out, it often didn't work at the end.

I own a quite expensive logicanalyzer/oszilloscope from a very famouse company. The company still exists, but they somehow "restructured their product strategy". Now you can call up the same company but they don't know anything about the firmware of a model, they sold 5 years ago.

My next example is a very expensive soundcard for studio equipement, with a locking to a number of the soundcard. You can buy extra software, but everything gets locked. Unfortunately the company seems to struggle and often changes its name and policies. At the end you might have software for 1000Euros which suddenly becomes worthless, although you own enough spare hardware.

Of course, I wish a bright future for MorphOS, but looking back the last 3 years, brings up some doubt, if there is really someone there, when my first Peg dies, to transfer the licence of even refund.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:18 pm 

Quote:
... maschine locked license...
The MorphOS-Team said that if your machine breaks (or you'll have another good reason), they decide individually to send a new keyfile. I am pretty sure, that as long as you don't abuse to ask for a new keyfile, the team will do it. Currently the MorphOS user base is that small that the Team can handle to cope with individal requests. But I agree, a more convenient license policy would be very welcome.