All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:38 pm 

The bug in the mesa 7.x is now fixed and i got it to comple correctly. Now i need to get debian out of graphical mode and login in textmode so i can test it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:47 am 

On running fb_gears from textmode i get a black screen and nothing. The readme mentions an unfindeable configuration file...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:38 pm 

Ok i got it to work (but software mode only)
firt i compiled directfb 1.1 and installed that.

I got the mesa source from git and compiled that with make linux-directfb and installed that with make linux-directfb-install.

Using directfbrc in /etc i said it to use 640x480 with 24 delpth and rgb24 . When running df_gears it goes using RGB16 ?
Also i suspect it to be using software only?

If i do not use directfbrc the screen goes black and nothing happens until i do a reset.

I though it could use dri drivers, but those are not build by mesa? And where do i configure what gfx/dri drivers to use?

My graphics card is an ati9250 that is correctly detected as an ati9200.

Hopefully i get an reply from the directfb dev mailing list this time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:25 pm 

Got an answer from the mesa list confirming that the mesa linux-directfb is software only. It used to support hardware acceleration in the past via an hack. (I suppose that is the x86 embedded2 mesa i tried earlier)

With that in mind the fb_gears running with 18fps is not so bad.

I think i am going to give up on this one. Unless i get some info how the hack was supposed to work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:15 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Got an answer from the mesa list confirming that the mesa linux-directfb is software only. It used to support hardware acceleration in the past via an hack. (I suppose that is the x86 embedded2 mesa i tried earlier)
Yeah the Mesa one is, but the DirectFBGL driver should work on mainline Mesa with no real hacks. If it had any hacks in it, the fbdev/Mesa driver (which uses DRI, and was commercially funded!) does exactly the same thing in intention and should be directly comparable.
Quote:
I think i am going to give up on this one. Unless i get some info how the hack was supposed to work.
Okay, maybe the DirectFB guys can help more, as it's their graphics API you will deal with most..