All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: asap!
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:40 am 

Quote:
We called Bill Evans (and Randy) last week and left a message...

There has been no answer yet.

R&B
I am waiting to test this ASAP. Can't stand linux anymore on my Efika!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:49 pm 

linux doesnt work well? i was thinking about buying an efika soon to try morphos. linux would probably be used the most i think, thats what i use now.

matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:41 pm 

Quote:
linux doesnt work well? i was thinking about buying an efika soon to try morphos. linux would probably be used the most i think, thats what i use now.

matt
Linux works very well on efika but not with X even with lightweighted window manager. Perfect for server usage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:47 am 

Quote:

matt
Depends on how you define well. Technically the Linux support is quite brilliant and it works rock solid and reliable. The performance is good, but the Efika will not please you too much if you expect to use it as full featured Linux desktop environment. The limited Ram and processing power and not too fast ATA-controller (slow virtual ram) will destroy those joys. But the board was never intended for that kind of useage.

For a lightweight installation or headless server usages it is simply great.

With MorphOS OTOH it simply flies when used as desktop (unless you do cpu intensive things like encoding videos or stuff like that). But as small media device and simple internet terminal it is just great. With MorphOS the system *feels* not much slower than my Pegasos 1 running MorphOS. I guess with AROS it would perform comparable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:35 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
The limited Ram and processing power and not too fast ATA-controller (slow virtual ram) will destroy those joys. But the board was never intended for that kind of useage.
We are still looking for developers to work on DMA support for the libata driver and to fix up the BestComm support (with Grant and Sylvain).

I have done some research on how best to implement the DMA driver, and it relies on some fairly simple functionality in libata (overriding the qc_issue/qc_defer etc. functions) but unfortunately we cannot access the BestComm tasks loaded by firmware as the current Linux support trashes them.

The same goes for Efika audio which would perform much better if it used the built-in firmware task.

If anyone's up for having a go at this, I'm here to help, unfortunately I just do not have the time (or resources) to really sit and compile for 10 hours to get a kernel then reboot and reboot with new versions of the code from a USB stick and run filesystem tesst to see if it really works :(