All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:32 pm 

I'm trying my hand at my first arm kernel compile.

My goal is to try and get suspend to disk working with the patch I found here:
http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-omap/msg32850.html

I resolved some conflicts in the patch with the exception of vmlinux.asm.S which seems to have nothing that looks like the reject sections inside of it.

I'm letting the kernel build overnight and then I'm going to test it off the SD card in various ways if the kernel actually builds.

I will let you guys know what happens but I would be grateful if someone could look at the patch and let me know what you think. or if you are already working on putting this functionality into the linux kernel I would be more than glad to test your current patch set on my smartbook.

Hibernate is a feature I really want to have on my Efika MX
so I'm motivated to get this running. I just don't have the skills to dive in too deep if things don't work out I don't know assembler and I've never done much with kernel code (aside form apply other peoples patches).

I've played with suspend to disk quite a bit on my old P3 laptop before under slackware though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:26 pm 
Genesi

That patch isn't meant for 2.6.31 (which is what our kernel is loosely based off of), so it most likely will not work. If it does, great. But I wouldn't worry too much about it, 2.6.31.14.20 is coming close to EOL and we plan to move to a newer kernel soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:13 am 

Quote:
That patch isn't meant for 2.6.31 (which is what our kernel is loosely based off of), so it most likely will not work. If it does, great. But I wouldn't worry too much about it, 2.6.31.14.20 is coming close to EOL and we plan to move to a newer kernel soon.
I'm very much looking forward to a new kernel since I want to try and get 802.11s working with the ralink card. any plans to make suspend to disk work? (I'm sure you have your hands full as it is)

I will let you know how it turns out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:45 am 

So not surprisingly it didn't work. It got as far as saving to swap and powering off and on reboot it loads up all the way until it finishes loading the image back from swap and then the system goes to a black screen and hangs. my guess is the bits modified in vmlinux.lds.S in that patch need to be completely different in this kernel version. or MX51 needs a whole other setup.

I've looked inside the linaro kernel git and so far I don't see any indications of hibernate support for any of the arm platforms in there. I hope someone gets it working eventually.
(hopefully sooner rather than years later).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:35 pm 

Sorry I said anything I found out just how complex it is and that its being worked on looking forward to seeing it but getting good graphics acceleration makes a lot more sense I'm sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:03 pm 
Genesi

Graphics acceleration is definitely a priority, but hibernation is definitely on the radar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:03 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Graphics acceleration is definitely a priority, but hibernation is definitely on the radar.
Current move to a ~2.6.38 kernel is planned around the summer. If hibernation gets stable by then it will be in our release.

We are more concerned that GNOME thinks it can hibernate on ARM (and displays a menu for it) when it plainly can't.

Suspend to RAM is safe enough though (but broken on Smarttop, I wonder why it just turns right back on?), although we still have some significant power savings to think about while in that mode.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:43 am 

You could use polkit-1 to disable the hibernate menu.
I've done that with suspend on my desktop since ACPI is broken on it (and I need windows vista to even think about installing a new bios on it which isn't happening)

this is what I have on mine you can just replace suspend with hibernate and the menu items for hibernate will dissapear along with upower trying to automatically do that action:
/etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/52-deep13.pkla
Code:
#Local policy modifications for ryoko
#to keep from crashing the machine by doing a suspend.
#hibernate works but you have to manualy turn off the power.

[disable suspend]
Identity=unix-user:*
Action=org.freedesktop.upower.suspend
ResultAny=no
ResultInactive=no
ResultActive=no
Really though upower daemon should be smart enough to ask the system if it can hibernate instead of just assuming it can because we can suspend. This is a quick fix though and might be useful. I will test it out on my smartbook and see if it works as well in Maverick as it does in Lucid.