All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:40 pm 

dear other distro maintainers... from your experience:
how many people have really applied DTS to their own Genesi machines.

i'd like to know 'cause i'm choosing if include Neko's little hack in cruxppc boot kernel.

Last edited by acrux on Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:30 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
dear other distro maintainers... from your experience:
how many people have really applied DTS to their own Genesi machines.

i'd like to know 'cause i'm choosing if include Necko's little hack in cruxppc boot kernel.
Neko.

Please include it and ditch the CHRP fixups. You can implement the boot menu (like Morgoth's BootMenuCreator makes) underneath the fixups to get a nice system that can update the fixes, and the boot menu, at the same time, without requiring kernel drivers to implement the new hacks etc. and give users a little more flexibility.

The problem with most distros is they like to standardize on GRUB, but don't pick up the patches to make it work on Pegasos etc. (since they're invariably using the original GRUB and not GRUB2 anyway - SuSE etc. do this because they have a graphical patch for GRUB1 for x86, which is common with their SYSLINUX/ISOLINUX code, which they do not want to diverge on bootloader sources for other archiectures anyway. It's complicated, some might say overcomplicated).

Since you control your distro and you supply kernels and patches and most of it is compile-yourself you can do whatever you like, though. I would go the cleaner route; you will not be dependent on a kernel patch (at least not one that ADDS code or fixes, you will still need one which removes them all. I wish we could fix the Via IDE thing in firmware but it's just not possible to carry that stuff over properly on Pegasos due to a firmware feature not working right) - in future revisions for future drivers, or to fixup future systems, you can rely on the script which is far easier modified than recompiling the kernel from scratch and migrating configurations.

I'm still hoping that one day someone in the kernel tree will notice how dumb it is considering we have a scriptable firmware (it is not like U-Boot where it is significantly harder to change the device tree) and remove it and rely on vendor firmware changes or fixup scripts as they do wuth U-Boot. Even with the kernel fixups, Efika sound does not work and requires a small Forth patch to fix cell-index (the kernel does not actually fix it for some reason, it's in there, it just doesn't work, and causes a panic when the module loads).

Essentially. Pick whatever is better for you. I can actually give you a more recent efika.forth and code for i2c and can buses if you want it, and fix anything else up for you.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:49 am 

Quote:

Please include it and ditch the CHRP fixups. You can implement the boot menu (like Morgoth's BootMenuCreator makes) underneath the fixups to get a nice system that can update the fixes, and the boot menu, at the same time, without requiring kernel drivers to implement the new hacks etc. and give users a little more flexibility.
i'll do it but you must check your included kernel patch too 'cause i've simply rediffed it against a 2.6.27 for peg2.
Quote:
The problem with most distros is they like to standardize on GRUB, but don't pick up the patches to make it work on Pegasos etc.
that's far away from CRUX philosophy, if someone needs menu he'll be able to do by itself.
Btw, there is an internal project for a second step boot loader (Parthenope) developed by Cjg.
Quote:
Even with the kernel fixups, Efika sound does not work and requires a small Forth patch to fix cell-index (the kernel does not actually fix it for some reason, it's in there, it just doesn't work, and causes a panic when the module loads).
i'll check it this week because we are assembling a little matchbox multimedia kiosk powered by Efika for the next Linux Day organized here in Naples by NaLug - Napoli GNU/Linux Users Group.
Quote:
Essentially. Pick whatever is better for you. I can actually give you a more recent efika.forth and code for i2c and can buses if you want it, and fix anything else up for you.
we need only a working sound module... but that's good send it to my own email address.

Last edited by acrux on Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:05 am 

Quote:
that's far away from CRUX philosophy, if someone needs menu he'll be able to do by itself.
Btw, there is an internal project for a second step boot loader (Parthenope) developed by Cjg.
I'm curious how the name was chosen for a boot loader (Parthenope was one of the Sirens, if my mythology memory doesn't fail me :)

:D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:53 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
I'm curious how the name was chosen for a boot loader (Parthenope was one of the Sirens, if my mythology memory doesn't fail me :)

:D
you're right. And where was she located? ;D
Parthenope is the first ancient (greek) name of Naples and "Parthenope" is named the university in Napoli where Cjg is studyng in Informatic.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:24 pm 

Quote:
you're right. And where was she located? ;D
Parthenope is the first ancient (greek) name of Naples and "Parthenope" is named the university in Napoli where Cjg is studyng in Informatic.
Right, I should dust off my school mythology books and remember some of this stuff again :)

Anyway, nice name :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:02 pm 

Quote:
Even with the kernel fixups, Efika sound does not work and requires a small Forth patch to fix cell-index (the kernel does not actually fix it for some reason, it's in there, it just doesn't work, and causes a panic when the module loads).

i've skipped your efika-dts-20071114, i choose Corsair's revision (20080128) 'cause it doesn't break USB on 2.6.27.2 vanilla... btw, no sound yet. May i need some kernel's patch?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:00 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
i've skipped your efika-dts-20071114, i choose Corsair's revision (20080128) 'cause it doesn't break USB on 2.6.27.2 vanilla... btw, no sound yet. May i need some kernel's patch?
If corsair could send me that revision back in the mail that would be awesome because my copy is lost in a backup somewhere :D

I will go through and make sure the USB thing is not so unwieldy and then release it finally. I am working on a pretty bootloader (not fancy like GRUB, just a nice menu system) which I hope to integrate all this into.

As for sound, it works on OpenSUSE 11.0 - the patch required should definitely be in the source RPM. Since I am going to be messing with this tonight once I get beta3 tested and my Pegasos back up and running, I will fish it out and upload it somewhere if it's in there.

I also have an ALSA SoC driver which may work better, I will drop that somewhere too if I find it in my mail archives.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:46 am 

Quote:
Quote:
If corsair could send me that revision back in the mail that would be awesome because my copy is lost in a backup somewhere :D
http://dev.gentoo.org/~corsair/efika/ef ... h-20080128
Quote:
I will go through and make sure the USB thing is not so unwieldy and then release it finally. I am working on a pretty bootloader (not fancy like GRUB, just a nice menu system) which I hope to integrate all this into.

As for sound, it works on OpenSUSE 11.0 - the patch required should definitely be in the source RPM. Since I am going to be messing with this tonight once I get beta3 tested and my Pegasos back up and running, I will fish it out and upload it somewhere if it's in there.

I also have an ALSA SoC driver which may work better, I will drop that somewhere too if I find it in my mail archives.
ok, thanks a lot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:39 pm 

linux-2.6.28-rc1 seems to have a working ASoC v2 for MPC52xx but MPC52xx Peripherals IRQ are totally broken on Efika...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:10 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
linux-2.6.28-rc1 seems to have a working ASoC v2 for MPC52xx but MPC52xx Peripherals IRQ are totally broken on Efika...
Hmm, I'm not going to be looking at 2.6.28 until we've finished playing with 2.6.27, so :)

Odd that the interrupt stuff is broken, what are the symptoms? Any bug reports posted anywhere?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:57 am 

Quote:
Hmm, I'm not going to be looking at 2.6.28 until we've finished playing with 2.6.27, so :)

Odd that the interrupt stuff is broken, what are the symptoms? Any bug reports posted anywhere?
it was broken libata... -rc1 is too youg kernel :)
btw, -rc2 boots but there isn't yet a working sound codec.

http://www.crux.it/~acrux/config-2.6.28 ... ika.config
http://www.crux.it/~acrux/linux-2.6.28-rc2-efika.dmesg