All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:55 am 

With heavy bug reporting and testing yast2-product-creator reached an already usable state. Of course, it is still not perfect, as it only works for CD installs and for USB keys, if the files are in the root directory (I'm just trying to convince the developer not to hard code / in front of path names...). (Update: the problem is in libzypp, installing over the network works, only partitions have this problem)

The files are available at http://genesi.hu/suse/xfceppc/

It is about a 682MB download. Right now it the files need to be placed into the root directory of a CD (700MB) or flash drive (min. 1GB) to be useful. If the HDD is not yet partitioned, it is recommended to use a 2GB USB key, so there is enough space for a swap file.

As most EFIKAs are not equipped with a CD drive, I'll consider here the USB key way. To boot, just enter at the 'ok' prompt:
Code:
boot hd0:1 suseboot/inst32
There are many useful parameters, which can be appended here:
Code:
linemode=0
to use nice menus instead of one optimized for dumb serial terminals.
Code:
textmode=1
for a textmode install (needs less RAM)
Code:
vnc=1 vncpassword=mysecret123
for a VNC based installation, so it can be followed on a remote screen. The password needs to be at least 8 characters long.
Code:
console=ttyPSC0,115200
for a serial console based installation (it is recommended to combine it with VNC)

On the EFIKA, the USB key is not automatically found. This can be helped by loading the 'usb-storage' kernel module. Once the kernel is booted, the installer prints on the screen, that no installation source is found, and gives a menu. Use this to load the module (it's the 3rd module among USB modules).

Once the module is loaded, go on with starting the installer. Use 'partition' as installation source. The one you need is on /dev/sdb1, and the directory is '/' (see above, '/' is hardcoded...). (Update: the problem is somewhere else).

The next step is adding some swap. If a swap partition already exists, it can be activated here. If not, a swap file can be created on the USB key. Warning: it is very slow...

Once there, choose 'new installation' and don't add any additional installation sources.

On the screen, where KDE/GNOME/Other is listed, choose 'Other', and 'Text only'.

On the next screen switch to 'Expert' at the top of the screen. Now there are a lot more choices, available.

Use the 'partitioner' to change the automatic suggestion, if needed. The 'Prep' partition does not hurt, but can be safely deleted despite any warning messages. Be aware, that / needs to be ext2/ext3 (which is default) to be able to boot from (or more precisely /boot, if you do an advanced partitioning).

In the software selection menu, choose the 'xfce' pattern, which will select the rest of the patterns. 'abiword' and 'gnumeric' are also available using the 'details' menu.

The boot manager installation needs to be disabled.

It is a matter of taste, I prefer to boot to a text only login prompt and not to use a graphical display manager. 'xdm', which is installed, is pretty dumb anyway :-) It can be changed at the runlevel configuration, 3 is for text only, 5 is for graphical logins.

Now you can start installation. Time for a coffee, reading powerdeveloper.org and BBRV blogs :-)

Once the first stage of installation is ready, the machine will be rebooted. As there is no bootable kernel available, one needs to use 'inst32' to boot the second stage of installation (see above). There is no need to enter parameters again, except for the serial console, if used.

Boot the installed system from the menu. Yast2 will start again. Now you can configure your network and hardware. Upgrading during installation needs to be skipped, other way many unnecessary packages are installed (see later). Sound can't be configured here.

Once the installation is finished, a login prompt appears (or xdm, if runlevel left at 5). Login as root, and do the following to finish up your installation:

If you have an internet connection, upgrade your system:
Code:
echo '*64bit*' > /etc/zypp/locks
to exclude 64bit packages (Pegasos & EFIKA are 32 bit)
Code:
rpm -qa | grep 64bit | xargs rpm -e --nodeps
to remove installed 64bit packages
Code:
zypper up
to upgrade packages.

Create a bootable kernel:
Code:
mkzimage --vmlinux /boot/vmlinuz --initrd /boot/initrd --output /boot/efika
to create a bootable kernel in /boot/efika (it could be anywhere, but I use this place from now on in my examples). One can also use the
Code:
--cmdline root=/dev/sdaX
, so the root device does not need to be typed on each boot or fixed into OF.

Enable sound for the next boot by editing /etc/sysconfig/kernel with your favorite text editor (vi :-) ), and add these two parameters to 'MODULES_LOADED_ON_BOOT' to look like this:
Code:
MODULES_LOADED_ON_BOOT="snd_mpc52xx_ac97 snd_pcm_oss"
Now you can reboot, and boot using the freshly generated /boot/efika kernel. Sound is muted by default, so it needs to be unmuted. Use 'alsamixer' to do this. Up/down arrows can change volume, 'm' can mute/unmute channels, and left/right arrows can be used to choose the channel to work on. At least 'Master' and 'PCM' needs to be unmuted (there is a green light under them) and set to a reasonable volume.

Login as your regular user, and enter 'startxfce4' to start XFCE from the command prompt.

Have a lot of fun! ((open)SUSE (R)(TM) :-) )

Last edited by czp on Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:49 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:15 am 

OK, with a bit of tweaking, network installation works. The problem was, that I brought the installer to the server using my USB key, which has FAT32, and a couple of file names changed case (MD5SUM -> md5sum). It is not a problem on FAT32, but it is a problem with ext3 filesystem :-)

So, now you can simply download http://genesi.hu/suse/xfceppc/suseboot/inst32 to get started and boot it with the following parameter:
Code:
. Of course, this assumes, that there is a properly setup DHCP server on the network, without it network needs to be set up manually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:13 am 
Genesi

So instead of a 4GB DVD or an 18GB ftp tree, one can download a ~650MB zip file, extract it to an USB key and install it on EFIKA. That is a lot smaller download and a lot quicker installation process - smaller package database -> less swapping = good work Peter. Thanks!

R&B :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:31 am 

Perfectly, but as on the account .iso an image or the packed file with all contents of the given distribution kit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:05 am 

A single ZIP file is available now at http://genesi.hu/suse/xfce.zip and later probably directly from powerdeveloper.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:32 pm 

Quote:
So, now you can simply download http://genesi.hu/suse/xfceppc/suseboot/inst32 to get started and boot it with the following parameter:
Code:
. Of course, this assumes, that there is a properly setup DHCP server on the network, without it network needs to be set up manually.
This does not seem to work for me as i get the message that no valid repository is found. DHCP is working correctly! I now continue downloading the zip file.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:40 pm 

Now with the installation downloaded with the zip i get as far as:
Quote:
On the next screen switch to 'Expert' at the top of the screen. Now there are a lot more choices, available.
Here it is trying to detect system settings forever.

Hmm maybe i should try to format/erase my debian installation beforehand. But how do i do that again...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:11 pm 

'forever' should not take more than 2-3 minutes, and should be spend around package dependencies.
You could switch to another console (alt+ctlr+f2) and run top to see, if there is still any activity. As long as you see 'y2bin' around the top, it is working heavily :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:37 pm 

It is 15 minutes now. On running top: y2base taking up all cpu.

On screen is:
partitioning
analyzing your system

software
analyzing your system

locale settings
analyzing your system
---

i see nothing like package dependencies yet.

could my partitioning be at fault:
having a boot partition
a extended partition with several logical partitions inside that. But then again in the beginning i could just select the existing swap file with no problems at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:38 am 

OK. So you have an "msdos" partition table with extended partition. I'll try to recreate this situation on my machine, and see what happens. I only tested with "amiga" partition table before... (or rather did not test the final release with msdos, it did work with alpha versions, but did not have extended partitions, as I know, that the firmware has trouble booting from it).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:56 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
It is 15 minutes now. On running top: y2base taking up all cpu.
It took 25 for the first time on my Efika installing from the DVD.. really annoying..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:47 am 

Just measured, ~1.5 minutes using my xfce installer :-) So there is a big difference compared to the official DVD. Using msdos partition table did not make any difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:43 pm 

after deleting all the partitions and creating new ones. Now i got through the detection screen in about 5 minutes where it suggested to change my fresh made partions. So now the installation is copying files. An i am having a coffee break as suggested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:37 am 

Is the coffee break over? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:36 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Is the coffee break over? :)
I'm curious as to why it takes so long. Does it reevaluate packages etc. even though you don't change any (for instance repartitioning)?

It might be okay on a 3.4GHz Pentium QXA Quad Core but I think this is pointing out some major inefficiency in the way YaST evaluates it's settings..