All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:18 am 

I have read that the first tablet with imx6 quad core and Android 4 will be out in June...

I looking forward for Genesi imx6 quad Smartbook with a gnu/linux distro ...

http://armdevices.net/2012/05/27/yooe-f ... ext-month/

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:39 am 
Genesi

We certainly don't want to deny Charbox the opportunity of publicizing this before Computex. Good for him. A couple of things came to mind as we watched the video: a) Flash is not working/installed (and is very unlikely to ever be legally), and b), the TO1.2 version of the chip is not due for release until the end of July. What is produced can be useful for development, but we really wonder how far they will get into the second production in the time reported.

Our frustration with Freescale is that they have created quickly-engineered reference designs (opinion) with basic Android support to enlist dozens of Asian CM/OEMs, who then try to create something from less than enough. The apparent thinking is this will grow the market for Freescale. Unfortunately, the track record since CES in January 2009 is that Freescale has cheapened their brand because what generally gets out in the market with this approach is junk. This hurts more serious attempts to develop solid products using the i.mx family. Often these reference designs are released before the chip is even qualified. As you can imagine, this can be very counterproductive.

Let's see what happens. It would be great if the result of such an effort was eventually positive. They may get some decent publicity as it is a quad-core. And, there are rumors of much more solid products being introduced at Computex. We hope so. Freescale needs an ecosystem in this market space that extends further than Android or is trapped in Ubuntu. More good systems in the market can help build a stronger i.mx and ARM community.

We will be producing our first imx6 prototypes using TO1.1 chips in late June. Details will follow...

R&B :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:17 am 

@ bbrv

Looking forward to see more info posted about this from you. You have been very silent the last half year... ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:50 pm 

Quote:
And, there are rumors of much more solid products being introduced at Computex. We hope so. Freescale needs an ecosystem in this market space that extends further than Android or is trapped in Ubuntu.
Did it happen? What was it?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:12 pm 

Quote:
I have read that the first tablet with imx6 quad core and Android 4 will be out in June...

I looking forward for Genesi imx6 quad Smartbook with a gnu/linux distro ...

http://armdevices.net/2012/05/27/yooe-f ... ext-month/

:D
Haha! That video is great. It's like Charbax can just knock the door of any ARM-related company and run around with his camera filming seemingly disinterested employers working on their products.
Quote:
We certainly don't want to deny Charbox the opportunity of publicizing this before Computex. Good for him. A couple of things came to mind as we watched the video: a) Flash is not working/installed (and is very unlikely to ever be legally), and b), the TO1.2 version of the chip is not due for release until the end of July. What is produced can be useful for development, but we really wonder how far they will get into the second production in the time reported.
Can you elaborate on the quality of the various tape-outs, for us not-so-well-versed in electronics design? Is TO1.1 expected to be full of bugs, since you say it's "useful for development"?

I'm really itching to get my hands on a i.MX6 Quad, and I've been looking at baords like the Sabre Lite from Boundary Devices. Are you saying that this is based on TO1.1, and is probably not useful as a production device? I had imagined using it as a server, but is it just too early to expect the i.MX6 series to be usable by end-users like me?
How many tape-outs does it usually take to make a satisfactory final product?

Also, is the 2012 deadline for the Smartbook still what you're aiming for? What bout the new Smarttop, will that be 2012 as well?

Thanks! :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:01 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Can you elaborate on the quality of the various tape-outs, for us not-so-well-versed in electronics design? Is TO1.1 expected to be full of bugs, since you say it's "useful for development"?
We cannot, I'm sorry. Simply the fact that TO1.1 only arrived after his video was made and TO1.2 is scheduled after they say they'll have a production run; we know the quantities and how difficult it is to secure samples, let alone production parts, and the claims they make are optimistic to say the very least.
Quote:
I'm really itching to get my hands on a i.MX6 Quad, and I've been looking at baords like the Sabre Lite from Boundary Devices. Are you saying that this is based on TO1.1, and is probably not useful as a production device? I had imagined using it as a server, but is it just too early to expect the i.MX6 series to be usable by end-users like me?
Define "production" - it is useful, but there are some bugs around in the SoC, most of which are either irrelevant to most users (it affects board designers or people doing tricky things with TrustZone etc. that Linux does not do) or are fixed in HW by this time, or are simply not implemented on SabreLite. You can get a rough overview of the kind of things that are INVARIABLY broken on every SoC on the planet by reading every SoC errata you can find; MX51, MX53, OMAP4.. a lot of them are in the ARM core, a lot of them are peripheral bugs longstanding or not worth fixing since most software already does it a different way.
Quote:
Also, is the 2012 deadline for the Smartbook still what you're aiming for? What bout the new Smarttop, will that be 2012 as well?
No comment on in-development systems. Charbax will not be visiting until we have something ready for sale :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:41 am 

Look like that there is a product with imx6 on sale... they probably sell a T01.1 or only pre-order to ship later...

"CHUWI V90" freescale i.MX6 con Quad-Core / 9,7 pollici IPS / HDMI
http://android-sale.com/chuwi-v90-quad- ... ablet.html
http://www.merimobiles.com/CHUWI_V90_Qu ... ri4876.htm
Quote:
Quote:
We cannot, I'm sorry. Simply the fact that TO1.1 only arrived after his video was made and TO1.2 is scheduled after they say they'll have a production run; we know the quantities and how difficult it is to secure samples, let alone production parts, and the claims they make are optimistic to say the very least.
Quote:
Define "production" - it is useful, but there are some bugs around in the SoC, most of which are either irrelevant to most users (it affects board designers or people doing tricky things with TrustZone etc. that Linux does not do) or are fixed in HW by this time, or are simply not implemented on SabreLite. You can get a rough overview of the kind of things that are INVARIABLY broken on every SoC on the planet by reading every SoC errata you can find; MX51, MX53, OMAP4.. a lot of them are in the ARM core, a lot of them are peripheral bugs longstanding or not worth fixing since most software already does it a different way.
Quote:
No comment on in-development systems. Charbax will not be visiting until we have something ready for sale :)