All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:01 am 
Genesi

Here are a few words about the EFIKA.

As discussed in the original video, the EFIKA was a starting point to test various PCI configurations to validate chip integration for a more optimized solution - an EFIKA2. One intention is to produce a board that can be used in a sub-laptop. We are now tinkering with a few things.

1. The EFIKA1 graphics board we are testing is the XGI V3XT. We have the source code for 2D and 3D graphics support and are working on a package now. We will also support this card for the PegasosPPC/ODW.

2. We will also test the XGI V3 (XP5) graphics card and V3 (XP5) ASIC for placement on the EFIKA2.

3. The Altera FPGA *may* be added to the board before we ship to Developers in the EFIKA Projects. We think the additional possibilities are worth the added cost and power.

We will post all these answers/decisions by the end of the week.

Thanks for your attention and patience!

R&B :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:39 am 
Genesi

Hello.

Ok, I must say I'm a little confused now... :)
Does this mean the EFIKA (currently in production?) might ship to developers of the current EFIKA project with an FPGA and GFX chip? Or only the EFIKA II developer program?
Will current EFIKA projects be eligable to participate in the EFIKA II program? This would be nice as EFIKA II can eliminate some major problems for our 'Computer for Children' project.

Anyway, seems there are some great developments ahead, Thanks!

Best regards,
Johan

P.S. The 'Computer fo Children' needs a catchy name; suggestions welcome! :)

Yep, I have a blog... PurpleAlienPlanet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:26 am 
Genesi

Originally, we figured we would ship the EFIKA with the 5200B as shown in the video. In other words, the same board with only the CPU upgraded (5200 to 5200B). Now that our cooperation with XGI has solidified and we have both a source support graphics card and an on-board-chip-solution as well as a FPGA we thought we might as well wait. We won't have to wait long. We just got the production version of the 5200B and we already have the graphics card and chip as well as the FPGA. Please give us a few more days. We will let all of you know shortly!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:57 am 
Genesi

Way Cool :D

Anyway, hopefully this means I don't have to source Radeon 7000 chips...
By the way, will the implementation of the XGI V3XT on the EFIKA support some LVDS interface? This would mean in turn we get to use cheaper TFT screens with lower power consumtion as the VGA controller card would not be necessary anymore.

Anyway, really cool stuff :D

Best regards,
Johan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:49 pm 

Quote:
We think the additional possibilities are worth the added cost and power.
Absolutely! Go for it! :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:33 pm 

Quote:

By the way, will the implementation of the XGI V3XT on the EFIKA support some LVDS interface? This would mean in turn we get to use cheaper TFT screens with lower power consumtion as the VGA controller card would not be necessary anymore.

Best regards,
Johan
Oh yes *that* would be worth something! I really
would love to see that!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:27 pm 

Quote:
Originally, we figured we would ship the EFIKA with the 5200B as shown in the video. In other words, the same board with only the CPU upgraded (5200 to 5200B). Now that our cooperation with XGI has solidified and we have both a source support graphics card and an on-board-chip-solution as well as a FPGA we thought we might as well wait. We won't have to wait long. We just got the production version of the 5200B and we already have the graphics card and chip as well as the FPGA. Please give us a few more days. We will let all of you know shortly!

Cool! The Efika is looking better and better. We're into a lot of 2D graphics presentation so naturally onboard graphics are actually a must for us. Hope to hear soon from you on this subject, bbrv.

Regards
Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:53 am 
Genesi

Quote:
Quote:

Best regards,
Johan
Oh yes *that* would be worth something! I really
would love to see that!
I checked out the XGI website and found this:
http://www.xgitech.com/products/products_2.asp?P=22
It seems that in order to get LVDS output you would need something like the SIS301x. I don't know if Genesi is planning to put it on the board, but I kinda doubt it...

Maybe it would be possible to make a custom PCI card with the SIS301x chip on it. Will check it out.

EDIT:
Just came across this:
http://www.kontron.com/products/pdprodu ... 924&kpc=78
So even that would work and it seems pretty cheap. I just wonder if the smaller screens like 7" and 8" are supported...

Best regards,
Johan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:07 am 

can anyone point me in the right direction to find the datasheet for the gfx chip.

I would assume you could use fairly standard chips to get the LVDS output and wont need the sis chip. I would assume it would just be digital (parallel) video out.

Take a look at TI's range of lvds transmitters like the sn75lvds83 (same chip that used to drive the lcd i now have reserved for the efika dev kit)

i also hope the pci is kept so i can use it for a wireless card...

PS What should the power consumption be about? Im guessing around 10W

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:06 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
can anyone point me in the right direction to find the datasheet for the gfx chip.

I would assume you could use fairly standard chips to get the LVDS output and wont need the sis chip. I would assume it would just be digital (parallel) video out.
V3XT Chipset Product Page at www.xgitech.com

As far as I know we are buying the XV301 to go with the chip, as it's required for DVI and TV output. It's practically company policy to pull EVERY interface off a chip in an effort to get maximum value for money for it. I think an EFIKA with only VGA out (in this day and age of digital panels and HDTV) would have very little value.. I would hope we will support the full gamut (DVI-I, LVDS on the board, and something like a 7-pin SVideo connector for Composite, SVideo and Component selection through software? See ATI cards for a hint on what I am thinking of..)
Quote:
i also hope the pci is kept so i can use it for a wireless card...
I hope we can say something about this soon..
Quote:
PS What should the power consumption be about? Im guessing around 10W
Under 2W for the EFIKA itself, the graphics chip should still operate well under 10W in operation (don't expect this to hold up under 3D graphics) and is passively cooled on all XGI cards implementing this chip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:04 am 

Im busy drafting up a comparison table for efika v1.0 vs efika v2.0 which i plan to donate to the efika book community. i would have saved it in a doc file but i do not have any hosting for one.

well here goes
http://rapidshare.de/files/17252995/efi ... a.odt.html

it is in odt format (sry about the rapidshare)
i think email will be the best way to trade this and add to it
possibility of a mailing list?

Neko and bbrv can you add any details that you can to this table

CHEERS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:36 am 

Quote:
Im busy drafting up a comparison table for efika v1.0 vs efika v2.0 which i plan to donate to the efika book community.
While I applaud your ambition and willingness to support the "Efika Book", I think you should "hold your horses" for a while.

AFAIK, the Efika has never been a fixed set of specifications as of yet. I think when people use revision numbers in forums, they only do so to simplify discussions and help keeping things apart when describing progress and design decisions along the way.

Maybe there has been a lot more than two stages in the design evolution process already, Efika 1, 2, 3, 4, and maybe Efika 5 even. The block diagram posted by BBRV didn't even cover the GFX chip, and they also said that they have not yet decided whether they should include the FPGA in the developer program release or not. I believe many things are happening to the Efika design right now, so a comparison table between two stages in the evolution (of which you or me knows nothing about anyway) has quite limited value.

AFAIK, there has been no serious production run nor a public release of the Efika as of yet, and when it gets here, chances are that there will be only *one* version - simply "The Efika"! :-)

Maybe there isn't much of a point to write books about it until it gets here? ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:10 pm 

Quote:

...I would hope we will support the full gamut (DVI-I, LVDS on the board,...
Thumbs up, that sounds promising

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:10 am 

looking at the general design, it would make a very good open source console/media box (games/media/etc.), which would also get linux/PPC on more desktops/benchtops.

I have another question will a power adapter (not wallwart :) ) be provided with the efika or will an atx PSU be fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:13 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
looking at the general design, it would make a very good open source console/media box (games/media/etc.), which would also get linux/PPC on more desktops/benchtops.

I have another question will a power adapter (not wallwart :) ) be provided with the efika or will an atx PSU be fine.
Please proceed from the assumption that you will get a BOARD and that is *ALL*.

Yes, it has an ATX PSU connector.