All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:40 pm 

Quote:
You need to probably run the Pegasos Device Tree Supplement before you boot. It's on the front page of this site.

For a quick fix, go into firmware and run 'nvedit' and enter this code after the aliases;
Code:
probe-all
s" /pci@80000000/isa@C/8042@i60" find-device
s" 8042" encode-string device-type
device-end
Press CTRL+C to exit the editor, and run 'nvstore' to save it - then reboot or type the same lines on the command line before booting Linux. It should fix the problem.
Thank you, now my keyboard works in the installer!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:42 am 

It worked!
Just as a quick set of "EFIKA-boot" style notes for any other fairly new people, one easy way to set it autobooting (assuming the standard installation) right after the initial install would be with the "gutsyefika_boot" file on usb key:
boot hd0 gutsyefika_boot root=/dev/sda1

Once logged in, run the terminal and put:
sudo /etc/networking/interfaces
remove the # from the last line then press CTRL-O > enter to write out the changes. Press CTRL-W to close nano. Assuming DHCP works for you, put:
sudo /etc/init.d/networking start
to start up your interweb connection.
Run Firefox and put:
genesi.hu/ubuntu/gutsyefika_boot
into the address bar and let it download. By default it will end up in /Desktop.
Go into the terminal again and type:
cd /home
cd/(yourusername)
cd /Desktop
then put:
sudo cp gutsyefika_boot /boot/
to copy the bootable kernel into your install.

Restart. Now at the OF prompt:
setenv boot-file /boot/gutsyefika_boot root=/dev/sda1
setenv boot-device /pci/scsi/disk@0,0,0:0
setenv auto-boot-timeout 5000
setenv auto-boot? true

Type boot and hit enter, hopefully this will start your Ubuntu install without the USB key needed now.

Two little things noted so far, I get a gnome-settings-manager error when first logging in (doesn't appear to have any harmful effect) and the "no network connection" icon remains at the top bar even when the network is working fine.
Peter deserves a LOT of credit for his hard work with Ubuntu, the net install though long does work perfectly and I for one am impressed and very pleased with the results. I only hope now that soon we have 3D acceleration and can get compiz/beryl running (slowly). Very exciting to see the latest Ubuntu release running on the Efika with relative ease all the same! Kudos!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:26 pm 

weird, while i had no problems with previous versions on Efika i can't start the X server on this one, whatever changes i make in xorg.conf, tried with two different screens (that worked before) but no luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:11 pm 

That's even weirder when I mention I couldn't get any of the previous Ubuntu installers to even start the installer.
Quite enjoying it since switching to xubuntu desktop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:36 am 

yes it's weird, especially as we are all supposed to have the same hardware (minor differences in gfx cards or IDE storage though)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:05 am 

Hello,

I plugged my keyboard to an usb port of my peg2. Now when I boot on gutsy_netinstall or gutsy_alternate_install kernels to install gutsy I do not encounter anymore ineffective keyboard problems. So I performed a netinstall, everything was correct. Booting on gutsy_alternate_boot kernel is also good, excepted that the mouse is ineffective when arriving on ubuntu desktop. On feisty or MorphOS it works correct. So where is the problem with the mouse ? It is an usb mouse connected also with an adapter ps2 but I can not plug it to the other usb port of my peg2 because this one does not work since some times.

Brumiga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:55 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Go into the terminal again and type:
cd /home
cd/(yourusername)
cd /Desktop
then put:
sudo cp gutsyefika_boot /boot/
to copy the bootable kernel into your install.
I'm being pedantic but why not just type;
Code:
sudo cp ~/Desktop/gutsyefika_boot /boot
In sudo the home directory should stay as the user of the currently running shell, not the super user right?

If not, still, you can use
Code:
sudo cp /home/neko/Desktop/gutsyefika_boot /boot
Replacing your username. Far easier :)
Quote:
Restart. Now at the OF prompt:
setenv boot-file /boot/gutsyefika_boot root=/dev/sda1
setenv boot-device /pci/scsi/disk@0,0,0:0
setenv auto-boot-timeout 5000
setenv auto-boot? true
Wow we really need to hack up a quick little script for these distributions and see if we can get it included as a boot loader. With a recent firmware (especially on Efika) you could have a script like
Code:
\ FORTH
s" boot-file s" /boot/gutsyefika_boot root=/dev/sda1" $setenv
s" boot-device s" /pci/scsi/disk@0,0,0:0" $setenv
s" auto-boot-timeout s" 5000" $setenv
s" auto-boot? s" true" $setenv
Which you then run at boot with boot hd0 boot/setup.forth

(maybe we could roll nvram updates in this way too. The device strings could be templated and replaced with a perl/sed/awk script)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:06 am 

Well I've been running Ubuntu Gutsy on my EFIKA since it was released and i am very impressed with the work done on the Kernels. Good work chaps :D

I have a few things to report back.

The USB support is far from perfect. Memory sticks occasionally don't mount automatically, and I have on more than one occasion been unable to find the block device to mount them by hand (I presume this is a failing in the USB system not communicating the device properly?). Also copying or streaming data from a external DVD USB drive is of no use at all - it suffers multiple read failures and fails whenever I try it. It may be the USB bridge in my drive not stepping back to 1.1 mode properly but I thought I'd bring it up. My SanDisk USB stick is USB 2.0 and it works ok (when it mounts).

The sound works. :D

I am finding that XFCE is far too slow for use on the EFIKA. I built my own UI system with WindowMaker and non of the extra junk that comes with Xubuntu desktop. TBH all my EFIKA does is sit on IRC channels so there is no need for a complex desktop.

I've had some issues with getting Xorg to work with LCD TFTs. Especially Analogue ones. My main problem is 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg' insists on adding a BusID and it's not correct, nor does setting it to the correct value even work. Is this an EFIKA-related issue or is it just another crap-osity with Xorg?

Other than that it works just great.

EDIT: I realised while I was running a fresh install today that the Xubuntu Desktop package is optional ;)

MacMiga
http://www.lincsamiga.org.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:38 pm 

Quote:
The USB support is far from perfect. Memory sticks occasionally don't mount automatically, and I have on more than one occasion been unable to find the block device to mount them by hand (I presume this is a failing in the USB system not communicating the device properly?). Also copying or streaming data from a external DVD USB drive is of no use at all - it suffers multiple read failures and fails whenever I try it. It may be the USB bridge in my drive not stepping back to 1.1 mode properly but I thought I'd bring it up. My SanDisk USB stick is USB 2.0 and it works ok (when it mounts).
"I have USB-problem too. Internal DVD and external USB-HD wont work with Xubuntu. An USB-stick works good and mount and unmount by the system.

All drives works in the OF !

Is there any solution ?"

The solution: Plug in an USB-Stick :shock: . After that, all drives and readers worked perfekt with automount until the next reset. :?

But sound didnt work. :(

[ 48.552750] Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.14 (Thu May 31 09:03:25 2007 UTC).
[ 48.564071] EFIKA HACK: port_config 01051124
[ 48.574822] EFIKA HACK: port_config 01051124
[ 48.585361] Sound: MPC52xx PSC AC97 driver
[ 48.596227] mpc52xx-psc-ac97 f0002200.sound: probing MPC52xx PSC AC97 driver
[ 48.596547] mpc52xx-psc-ac97 f0002200.sound: ac97 codec reset
[ 48.606866] mpc52xx-psc-ac97: timeout on ac97 read (val)
[ 48.627591] mpc52xx-psc-ac97: timeout on ac97 bus (rdy)
[ 48.637993] AC'97 0 access is not valid [0xffffffff], removing mixer.
[ 48.648397] mpc52xx-psc-ac97: snd_ac97_mixer failed
[ 48.658805] mpc52xx-psc-ac97: probe of f0002200.sound failed with error -5
[ 48.669157] ALSA device list:
[ 48.679291] No soundcards found.

Could anyone help me ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:03 am 

Quote:
Hello,

I plugged my keyboard to an usb port of my peg2. Now when I boot on gutsy_netinstall or gutsy_alternate_install kernels to install gutsy I do not encounter anymore ineffective keyboard problems. So I performed a netinstall, everything was correct. Booting on gutsy_alternate_boot kernel is also good, excepted that the mouse is ineffective when arriving on ubuntu desktop. On feisty or MorphOS it works correct. So where is the problem with the mouse ? It is an usb mouse connected also with an adapter ps2 but I can not plug it to the other usb port of my peg2 because this one does not work since some times.

Brumiga
I have the same problem.
I've tested ps/2 mouse and usb mouse but it don't work.

I'm in a peg2

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:06 am 

On the Pegasos I have 8.04 (I refuse to use code names, as I don't use Ubuntu enough to remember them...) running without any obvious problems. I can't say anything about earlier versions...

On the EFIKA there is no sound in 8.04, as the old driver was too old for 2.6.24 and the new driver only works with 2.6.25 (and hopefully later).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:53 pm 

Hello Peter,

Do you have pegasos2 boot and install modules for 8.04?

Kind regards,
Thomas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:35 pm 

I had it. But I'll have it again later today, when I recreate them :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:46 am 

Thanks peter

plz post links when you do :)

also c the suse thread !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:26 am 

OK, here they are:

http://genesi.hu/ubuntu/peg804_netinst

This will boot on Pegasos and do a network installation. A few bugs:

- software selection does not really work during installation. At least xubuntu and some other desktops failed. 'ssh' works :-)

- boot loader installation does not work

The first means, that GUI is not installed. This can be installed later for example by using:
Code:
apt-get install xfce-desktop
The second one means, that there is no bootloader or a bootable kernel installed. One can use the bootable kernel I created:

http://genesi.hu/ubuntu/peg804_boot

Or, if there is another Ubuntu / Debian installation available, then boot that, mount the freshly installed system and execute the following in the boot directory:
Code:
mkvmlinuz -o peg804_boot -a chrp -k vmlinux -i initrd.img -z -v
One also needs this command after each kernel upgrade.