All times are UTC-06:00

Would to like a new and more powerful Genesi Pegasos ?
yes, at (almost) any price 27%  27%  [ 33 ]
yes, if it's cheap 71%  71%  [ 87 ]
no, my current Pegasos is enough powerful 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
not interested by the Pegasos 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes: 122
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 4:29 pm 
Hi !

Well, I guess that may be a bit utopic, but I would really like to help to make the idea of a new Pegasos like the Pegasos 8641D come true.

So, could we (the users) do something for it ?
Maybe it would be possible to make a kind of hardware bounty for it or anything to help the beta hardware being released ?

Even, if the Pegasos 8641D project is not possible as already specified (if so, maybe the reasons could be explained here), what could be done to make it true ?

Here is what I would like to see into a new Pegasos :
- a multi-core PowerPC processor
- 3D support of the latest pci xpress cards from ATI-AMD/nVidia
- USB 2.0 support
- And of course the traditional MorphOS support (at least on one core / or as a virtual machine for a start)

So, who cares ? What can be done ?
Unleash the Pegasos users force ![/url]

Last edited by lugduweb on Thu May 03, 2007 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:07 pm 

Well, it must not be a really highend machine but a good replacement for the last Pegasos G4. A Single-Core 8641 would do the job aswell.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:40 pm 

Quote:
Hi !
this and that
Don't you think Genesi and the bplan guys are aware of the situation?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:29 pm 

I'd like to see a CPU upgrade card instead. The pegasos 2 mainboard is sufficient, we just need more horsepower. Also, the release of an improved OF for Peg2 would be nice as it would support more RAM and stability..

magnetic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:49 pm 

i'd pay even 500 usd for a peg2 cpu card upgrade. i'd pay 100 usd for firmware upgrade 1.3, if it would solve peg2 memory problems...

bye, MarK.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:54 pm 
Quote:
Quote:
Hi !
this and that
Don't you think Genesi and the bplan guys are aware of the situation?
Yes Ulrich, of course. But the idea here is to show Genesi that there are a lot of Pegasos users that would like an upgrade/a new Pegasos... We would like to help to make it true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:45 am 

Quote:
i'd pay even 500 usd for a peg2 cpu card upgrade. i'd pay 100 usd for firmware upgrade 1.3, if it would solve peg2 memory problems...

bye, MarK.
Yeah, a 7448 card with 1.7 GHz would kick ass but Genesi decided its not worth so we are lost.

The next Firmware 2.0 is in the pipeline. I hope it will be released this year too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:53 am 
Genesi

Hi Folks, we wish it was so easy. Geoffrey, how about we save the small amount of money we send you every month and we deposit it in the "build a nextgen Pegasos" account? When we get that up to $500,000 (that will take forever) we can start to have a discussion about the best way to spend it. Thomas is one of the best supply chain managers in the world. Gerald is Mr. PowerPC Hardware designer. There are many notable and important software developers like Pieter involved. We have many happy users. We have all the pieces.

The community is here.

We just need more money to make it happen. We are getting there. The organic growth is progressive and solid. We will produce a high end Pegasos as soon as it is practical. That said, the processor needs to be at the right level in price and performance. Performance means more than speed. The value is found as a function of work. More for less is a good way to think.

R&B :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:16 am 

Well, a grand total of NINE petitions in one day. Hardly spectacular.
We do need a desktop computer. Simply building CPU cards won't do, because that's not a full computer that one can sell. Nor do G4 cards work in non already G4 Pegasos II.
How about making again the existing Pegasos II product? If I remember correctly, they simply can't be built ROHS (lead free) compliant, which rules them out of regular market. BBRV once said publicly that it would risk a 50000 euro fine per unit sold. No business.

Stupid ROHS. It should be applied only to high volume makers, where contamination figures show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:51 am 

Damn, who do I have to bribe to get a faster CPU card for my Peg? 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:55 am 

Quote:
Nor do G4 cards work in non already G4 Pegasos II.
Hm, what do you mean? You can swap the card in every Peg2 without problems just the Peg1 has problems with G4 cards. So if you have a Peg2 G3/G4 you could exchange it with a faster G4 card if you need it. But I agree this won't help to grow the market.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:10 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Well, a grand total of NINE petitions in one day. Hardly spectacular.
It was and still is barely even a few hours :)
Quote:
We do need a desktop computer. Simply building CPU cards won't do, because that's not a full computer that one can sell. Nor do G4 cards work in non already G4 Pegasos II.
Any Pegasos II motherboard can take a G3 or G4 processor card as built by bplan. The system is interchangable. It is however true that G4 cards from the Pegasos II will not work in a Pegasos I, and that Pegasos I G3 cards will run overclocked (dangerously!) in a Pegasos II. Between the major revisions it's not interchangable.

But any 2Bx PegasosPPC board will take any CPU card meant for it.
Quote:
How about making again the existing Pegasos II product? If I remember correctly, they simply can't be built ROHS (lead free) compliant, which rules them out of regular market.
It can. We have an RoHS BOM. However it is far from cost effective to do so. The Pegasos II is a 5 year old design, using a 6 year old Northbridge, a southbridge which needs to be purchased in very large quantities, and it requires a rethink of the CPU card to support 7447A and 7448 chips while still supporting the older CPU board revisions (and vice versa). Then both boards (motherboard + CPU) need to be FCC and CE certified (this costs money), RoHS certified (money + responsibility), prototyped, tested, put into a mass production.

This is far from a 20 minute hack job we can do, buy the parts, and ship units. It would again be a $450 motherboard and a $199 CPU card (maybe more!) just like it was 5 years ago, for something which had it's demand wane for obvious reasons.
Quote:
Stupid ROHS. It should be applied only to high volume makers, where contamination figures show.
It is basically and simply cheaper and easier to build a whole new motherboard design around modern components than it is to resurrect the Pegasos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:33 pm 

Quote:
I'd like to see a CPU upgrade card instead. The pegasos 2 mainboard is sufficient, we just need more horsepower. Also, the release of an improved OF for Peg2 would be nice as it would support more RAM and stability..
+1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:40 pm 
Quote:
Geoffrey, how about we save the small amount of money we send you every month and we deposit it in the "build a nextgen Pegasos" account?
I don't think a forum is the right place to talk about such things, but I'm not against the idea if that could help the community to get a new and cool Pegasos hardware. To be discussed in private.
Quote:
It is basically and simply cheaper and easier to build a whole new motherboard design around modern components than it is to resurrect the Pegasos.
Yes, and that's why the we (the users) want a new and cool new-gen Pegasos :-)

Note: the poll grew very fast this afternoon !
Personally I'm not interested by a Pegasos CPU ugrade with the same old mobo. I want something new and more powerful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 2:46 pm 
Genesi

Geoffrey, that was an ironic suggestion. The point is that it costs much more money to bring a new board/product to market than it costs to buy just one. If we had unlimited resources we would develop a new Pegasos.

R&B :)