All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 4:20 am 
Genesi

Welcome Amiga Community to the newest Forum on Power Developer. It seems as the situation evolves there may yet be a fully licensed version of Amiga for the EFIKA. The perfect piece is finally falling into place!

That is great news for the Amiga Community, which includes OS4, MorphOS and AROS users. We quite pleased with the recent developments and look forward to exercising our signed License Agreement.

Let's have some fun! What are your ideas?

R&B 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 4:55 am 

Good luck. I really hope something can be worked out from all this.

A computer that can boot OS4, MorphOS and AROS world make me very happy. :D

If it were in an A1200 style case... :P

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:21 am 

Quote:
It seems as the situation evolves there may yet be a fully licensed version of Amiga for the EFIKA.
I'm not interested in AmigaDE on Efika. :P :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:00 am 

I am..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:13 pm 

bbrv

I'm sure many of us would love to hear more specifics on this "perfect piece"... how is the new court cases with Ainc affecting your situation with Amiga OS please?

magnetic

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:09 pm 

Quote:
What are your ideas?
I don't know. Whats the point with "Amiga for the EFIKA"? Will we get Amiga stickers for the case?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:05 am 

very interesting! does it mean, that Amiga and Pegasos platforms will join back together? this would surely enlarge the community...

thanks and keep up the good work!

bye, MarK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:26 am 
Genesi

It could mean many things...

http://bbrv.blogspot.com/2007/05/amiga-saga.html

We will keep you posted.

R&B :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 1:19 am 

well, when talking about ARM processors, there are lots of portable devices, like gp2x, which are greatly suitable for low-power operating systems like morphos/amigaos are... and for more, gp2x is dual cpu, which could be very nice milestone for future development of amiga/morphos applications...

bye, MarK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:13 am 

I guess at the end, Amiga Inc. will be acquired by Microsoft and that won't be a surprise to me. In my opinion, current companies on the Amiga (Trademarked Amiga) scene do not carry the Amiga soul anymore. The OS may have legacy OS' roots, but the companies are a very big disappointment to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:38 am 

I'm not sure what to believe.. Amiga Inc are waging
war with anyone today. Probably in a desperate step
to take back control of the entire Amiga IP, including
the OS. This way they can sell the whole portfolio for
a better price.. And I guess noone will buy it without
full control.

This means that Genesi won't get any Amiga OS for
any hardware. They won't care about that old license,
they will fight to death against Genesi, if they have to.

I'm sure of this. My advise is just to stay out of the
entire mess, instead of getting trapped in the middle
of it. That will only mean very bad publicity against
Genesi on mainstream tech sites.

Amiga is a laugh on Slashdot today. I don't want
Genesi to be the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:13 pm 

Better make MorphOS 2.0 a success and bring a new Pegasos Desktop to the market like a Pegasos 8641 Single Core 1.33 GHz as Entry-Level and Pegasos 8641D 1.5 GHz as HighEnd-Level or Pegasos with 750GX 1 GHz as Entry-Level and a Pegasos 7448 2 GHz as HighEnd-Level. Later an EFIKA Sub-Notebook.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:01 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Better make MorphOS 2.0 a success and bring a new Pegasos Desktop to the market like a Pegasos 8641 Single Core 1.33 GHz as Entry-Level and Pegasos 8641D 1.5 GHz as HighEnd-Level or Pegasos with 750GX 1 GHz as Entry-Level and a Pegasos 7448 2 GHz as HighEnd-Level. Later an EFIKA Sub-Notebook.
Well, the Pegasos was discontinued and the CPU card canceled because the 7447A and 7448 are not really cost effective chips anymore. The G3 is out of the question (similar prices, and no AltiVec!)

You'll see a portable Efika and more power efficient, low cost devices before you see a Pegasos desktop again. One question; what is the point of a dual-core high-end board to make MorphOS 2.0 a success? It's a shared-memory OS with barely any chance of real SMP support..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:22 pm 

Quote:
Well, the Pegasos was discontinued and the CPU card canceled because the 7447A and 7448 are not really cost effective chips anymore. The G3 is out of the question (similar prices, and no AltiVec!)
Well, not everyone would need AltiVec (I still even can't use it with MorphOS) but the 750GX would outperfom any EFIKA.
Quote:
You'll see a portable Efika and more power efficient, low cost devices before you see a Pegasos desktop again. One question; what is the point of a dual-core high-end board to make MorphOS 2.0 a success? It's a shared-memory OS with barely any chance of real SMP support..
Well, if I understand the techs you could be able to run 2 operating systems at the same time. So MorphOS on one core and maybe Linux in the other core. I just miss a Desktop board for user who need more power especially if want to use Linux too. EFIKA is no replacement for the Pegasos. Maybe there will follow something different, maybe MorphOS ain't that good as expected. We will see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 4:05 pm 
Quote:
Too bad, because I really believe that the Pegasos was a great success because it was a real desktop (which the Efika can't be) with great features :
- powerful enough to both run a Linux complete desktop & MacOSX via MacOnLinux
- MorphOS Amiga-like OS support
- enough standard to be putted into a standard case with a standard power supply for a decent price

Compared to it, the Efika really has big disadvantages to be a desktop replacement of it :
- Really not enough powerful ! (can't really compile on it without using another computer+NFS, can't use a complete desktop environment without using all memory, etc...)
- still no support of MorphOS 1.5, 2.0 or any (and still no communication of the team at all about it)
- not standard motherboard which can't be putted into any case.

So, OK the Efika can be used for something else (network node, thin media client, portable device ...) and that's ways I'm now exploring myself, but I think that your old Pegasos users are really waiting for a new Pegasos desktop with Linux+MorphOS support. So saying there won't be any new Pegasos in a near future is really not a good news to those users if you want to keep them continuing to buy Genesi products.

So I now say it as a Pegasos user too :
We, the users, want a new and more powerful Pegasos with Linux with MorphOS support (at least on one core) !.
Why a more powerful Pegasos ? Because more power at least under Linux would be great, even if not maximal under MorphOS. Something else I would really like to have on a new Pegasos, is a 3D support of the latest ATI & nVIDIA PCI xpress cards.

See here:Petition for a new high end Pegasos