All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: Soon Ubuntu Edgy Eft...
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:20 am 

Hello,

Since the summer Ubuntu team announced a new release for this month Edgy Eft, but it delays to be officialy announced. So I deciced to verify and I downloaded at http://ie.releases.ubuntu.com/6.10/ the Release Candidate iso for the alternate, desktop and server versions. The downloads finished I open each iso with Gnome's archive manager and I look inside them. In the install directory there is a file pegasos, a forth script to let us install the new release on our pegasos 2, it wants to start a kernel file vmlinuz-chrp.initrd that should be located in the directory install/powerpc. But at this location or casper/powerpc one for the desktop iso is only present a kernel file vmlinux, so I think that the problems encountered when Dapper Drake was release will reproduce again.

Does some body have solutions to better perform installations and starts of Ubuntu Edgy Eft ?

Brumiga

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:47 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
or casper/powerpc one for the desktop iso is only present a kernel file vmlinux, so I think that the problems encountered when Dapper Drake was release will reproduce again.

Does some body have solutions to better perform installations and starts of Ubuntu Edgy Eft?
We can make install kernels for you if we get the time.

We hope to have solved it with Edgy; however the file is not on the CDROM image for SPACE REASONS at the end of the day. If you download a full Ubuntu DVD, it's there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:10 am 

@Neko,

Is Ubuntu Team joking ? Here are the size of the Candidate Release latest iso :

Alternate iso - 694 Mo
Desktop iso - 668 Mo
Server iso - 488 Mo

Maybe there is a space problem in the case of the alternate version but not in the case of the desktop and server versions. I think that Ubuntu Team gives a bad pretext to the pegasos users !

Brumiga

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:40 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
@Neko,

Is Ubuntu Team joking ? Here are the size of the Candidate Release latest iso :

Alternate iso - 694 Mo
Desktop iso - 668 Mo
Server iso - 488 Mo

Maybe there is a space problem in the case of the alternate version but not in the case of the desktop and server versions. I think that Ubuntu Team gives a bad pretext to the pegasos users !
If it goes onto one of them it needs to go onto all of them, I suppose.

We use the Alternate ISO to make our OEM Ubuntu installs.

File a bugreport on LaunchPad and complain :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:15 pm 

well Edgy is out today and still no kernel to boot it on Pegasos. I could understand the "not enough" space stuff but i still don't understand why there is a CD:/install/pegasos file, which is an OpenFirmware boot menu, with several options to boot it on Pegasos but no kernel behind it ! what's the point there?
I tried to boot it using Grub2 script by Gunne but the xserver from the desktop CD doesn't work.
I'll give a try with the alternate CD, but seriously... what the hell is going on with ubuntu PPC team ?

the testing Debian "etch" CDs always work on Pegasos ! why not Ubuntu ?

so yes, we will complain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:39 pm 

@Neko,

Could you please give me a link to download a dvd iso ? On the link I give there are only cd iso.

Thanks by advance.

Brumiga

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:35 am 

IIRC Gentoo supported Pegasos officially before the ODW
developer program started at eSNDF. dholm bought his
own Pegasos 1 and later Pegasos 2 to make Gentoo work.
Now many in the Gentoo/PPC team have ODWs and Gentoo runs
perfectly, every release works on Pegasos. I don't think
they would release any update if it doesn't work with the
ODW.

This was over two years ago. Ubuntu has a billionaire behind
them and we're soon in 2007 and it still doesn't work.
This just further support my opinion of Ubuntu.

If Ubuntu aren't interesting in anything besides Apple
you should just let them be. It's their baby, now where
have I heard that before?..
You should focus on commercially
working distros such as OpenSuse and Fedora instead. They
work for companies that doesn't want to pay premium for
SLED and RHEL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:43 am 

SLED does not have PPC support (yet). It's aimed at companies, which deploy 50 or more of same machines in offices and manage them centrally. Mac-s are not widely used in this kind of environments...

openSUSE: with some workarounds, but SUSE Linux 10.0 & 10.1 work fine on Pegasos. With openSUSE 10.2 appearing end of November the situation is getting even better, with full support for Amiga partition tables most of my installation guide can be thrown out :-)

BTW: SLES 10 (SUSE Linux Enterprise Server) also works fine on Pegasos, it needs about the same amount of workarounds as SUSE Linux 10.1 (as that provided the foundation for it).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:49 am 

Quote:
you should just let them be. It's their baby, now where
have I heard that before?..
You should focus on commercially
working distros such as OpenSuse and Fedora instead. They
work for companies that doesn't want to pay premium for
SLED and RHEL.
BTW: in theory, the previous version of Ubuntu is commercially supported for an extended amount of time. In practice...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:10 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
you should just let them be. It's their baby, now where have I heard that before?.. You should focus on commercially working distros such as OpenSuse and Fedora instead. They work for companies that doesn't want to pay premium for SLED and RHEL.
Those two commercially working distros do NOT work on Pegasos, the same way Ubuntu doesn't. Once you have your system up and running it's fine but we have major mindshare problems getting a supported kernel on the Installer CDs, understanding RDB partitioning, FFS and SFS filesystem support, having the right Marvell driver in there.. it is not like we have ever sold 100,000 laptops in a month.

However we are working with all of the groups (Fedora/RedHat, SUSE/Novell, Ubuntu both directly through Canonical, and the backdoor via Sven & Debian) to get this resolved. I hope something can be done for the next Edgy update (6.10.1 which should be released at or just after Christmas I suspect?)

I made a boot kernel for the Ubuntu 6.10 Desktop CD; I'll put it online in a moment. How you get this to your machine will have to be your decision. I am looking into providing a boot ISO for you guys.

The other alternative is to use the network install kernel; our vmlinuz-chrp-initrd kernel type is generated by their tools but it is left off the CDs for some reason. Perhaps because there is not enough space (definitely on Alternative) and this ties into it. Alternative is important to Genesi, as we use it to build our preinstallation images (Desktop does not have the OEM support packages)

I am looking for the download location of the Network Install image now. Where I thought it was, it isn't anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:26 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I made a boot kernel for the Ubuntu 6.10 Desktop CD; I'll put it online in a moment.
Check the downloads box on the front page.

You should be able to just boot it from hard disk or network and it will find the CD in the drive. I am making the Alternative version now for all you low-memory guys :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:09 am 

well done Neko, thank you very much for your effort, i'll try your kernel tomorrow, I'm too far away from my peg now.
That's very nice from you that you took the time to do it. Thanks from all the pegasos ubuntu users.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:54 am 

Link - Ubuntu Edgy Eft on the Pegasos II @ Pegasos.org

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:48 am 

Quote:
nice ! thanks for the link gunne

@Geoffrey : if u read it, it's time for a Edgy tutorial on the Pegasos book ! ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:04 am 

it works perfectly with the DVD, as long as you follow the instructions on pegasos.org, no more need for a vmlinuz script or grub. It works out of the box, with very few tweaking.
thanks guys for your efforts.