All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:40 pm 

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/sit ... R_20110103

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News ... ale-iMX-6/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:10 am 

Quote:
So I'm very courios to know if Genesi have some plans with imx6.... We know already that Genesi is working on imx53.

Could be very good to have an high end smartbook even 13 inch with quad core imx6 :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:35 pm 

Hello,
I'm also in the market to purchase some A9 board for development. Any news about Freescale in this domain?
Thanks,
Karel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:10 pm 
Genesi

We are eagerly awaiting the i.MX6 as well, unfortunately, nothing yet. I know they are working very hard on bringing it to market sooner rather than later.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:59 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
So I'm very courios to know if Genesi have some plans with imx6.... We know already that Genesi is working on imx53.

Could be very good to have an high end smartbook even 13 inch with quad core imx6 :D
Perhaps it's offtopic, but I would also very much like a 13" arm laptop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:39 pm 

Personally I think the i.MX6dual would be interesting in the smartbook, and the i.MX6quad in the smarttop. I assume they're pin compatible so multiple versions would be easy to make.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:04 am 

My favorite computer is a 10" netbook because it works so well for traveling. A 1.2+ GHz ARM quad core 10" Bodhi Linux Genesi smartbook would be ideal but the cost of the product is very important. Somewhere is a sweet spot of performance vs cost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:10 pm 

I just love the form factor, weight and battery life of the current Smartbook. I'd like to keep that.

The additional RAM and core(s) that come with the iMX6 are a plus ; whatever balances the extra power with being able to run for a whole day as it does now, that's what I'm looking forward to. Especially if the current pricing can be maintained, as Joel above just said.

The only things that I find the current iMX53 Smartbook really lack, are external video and wired network connectors. In many situations there is just no wifi (and 3G tethering may or may not work). Being able to plug into a larger connector or a projector would be useful as well.

I have absolutely no idea as to what it entails for Genesi, but I've been wondering : how many different models can you afford to build on the same foundation? The current design is excellent for its niche, but there could be larger and/or more powerful models in addition to the lightweight, long-battery-life one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:13 pm 
Genesi

Quote:
I just love the form factor, weight and battery life of the current Smartbook. I'd like to keep that.

The additional RAM and core(s) that come with the iMX6 are a plus ; whatever balances the extra power with being able to run for a whole day as it does now, that's what I'm looking forward to.

The only things that I find the current iMX53 Smartbook really lack, are external video and wired network connectors. In many situations there is just no wifi (and 3G tethering may or may not work). Being able to plug into a larger connector or a projector would be useful as well.

I have absolutely no idea as to what it entails for Genesi, but I've been wondering : how many different models can you afford to build on the same foundation? The current design is excellent for its niche, but there could be larger and/or more powerful models in addition to the lightweight, long-battery-life one.
It would be fairly hard to keep the same form size and still put ethernet on the board. I'm not privy to the mx6 design yet, so I'm not sure what all is planned, but the same foundation could be used for all of them, quite easily, as long as the essentials are on the main board.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:02 pm 

I just use a USB to ethernet adapter which works great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:54 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
The only things that I find the current iMX53 Smartbook really lack, are external video and wired network connectors.
No guarantees, but if it doesn't break the form factor too much, it should have an ethernet port and Mini-HDMI ("Type C") out capable of displaying 1080p120 possibly with 3D (although I am not entirely sure what we'd do with that capability :)

Sorry, no VGA, not in a million years..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:18 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
The only things that I find the current iMX53 Smartbook really lack, are external video and wired network connectors.
Sorry, no VGA, not in a million years..
Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:14 am 

numeric video in is uber rare on screen projectors ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:26 am 

Quote:
numeric video in is uber rare on screen projectors ...
Actually, HDMI has gained a lot of market share in this area. If you are in the market to buy a new projector / beamer, finding one with HDMI is not going to be difficult at all.

Also, anybody who absolutely requires VGA is free to use a USB VGA adapter, which should provide sufficient performance for giving a basic presentation with an older VGA-only beamer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:31 am 

Quote:
but if it doesn't break the form factor too much, it should have an ethernet port
hi all,
why not a port where i can plug in one of these?