All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:04 am 

Here it is:

http://www.powerdeveloper.org/assets/ef ... 716.img.xz

It offers both GNOME (2.3x not 3.0 yet), KDE 4.6 (and awesome for those who dislike full GUI environments) plus many more packages.

Root password is 'armhf', and user password is 'demo', but feel free to change those if you like.

It also includes phoronix-test-suite for those who would like to run their own benchmarks, google is your friend if you want to see how to use that -but for a quick pointer you can do:

$ phoronix-test-suite benchmark pts/<test/suite> where

test is one of

$ phoronix-test-suite list-available-tests

and suite is one of

$ phoronix-test-suite list-available-suites

It includes the 2.6.31.14.23 kernel which is working fine version, perhaps I could provide a new image with the new version.

NOTE: if you do an upgrade, make sure you do not upgrade udev. The reason is that debian udev packages includes a check for versions earlier than 2.6.32 and since the demo image uses 2.6.31 it will fail to start -it works great as we have backported the necessary fixes.

Have fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:58 pm 

That's really impressive Konstantinos and works really well.
I have done some desktop speed comparison tests and it's about 10% quicker than Ubuntu Maverick and 40% quicker than armel Debian Squeeze on my personal tests using a Smartbook.

Please keep up the good work on this.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:04 am 

Thanks!!!

I will test it today!

Quote:
Here it is:

http://www.powerdeveloper.org/assets/ef ... 716.img.xz

It offers both GNOME (2.3x not 3.0 yet), KDE 4.6 (and awesome for those who dislike full GUI environments) plus many more packages.

Root password is 'armhf', and user password is 'demo', but feel free to change those if you like.

It also includes phoronix-test-suite for those who would like to run their own benchmarks, google is your friend if you want to see how to use that -but for a quick pointer you can do:

$ phoronix-test-suite benchmark pts/<test/suite> where

test is one of

$ phoronix-test-suite list-available-tests

and suite is one of

$ phoronix-test-suite list-available-suites

It includes the 2.6.31.14.23 kernel which is working fine version, perhaps I could provide a new image with the new version.

NOTE: if you do an upgrade, make sure you do not upgrade udev. The reason is that debian udev packages includes a check for versions earlier than 2.6.32 and since the demo image uses 2.6.31 it will fail to start -it works great as we have backported the necessary fixes.

Have fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:08 am 

Thanks, it runs great on my relatively cheap class 10 SD card. I was almost ready to embark on the emdebian journey myself when you released this.

The only quirk I've found thus far is that kde4's widget-add interface wont respond to the mouse except as a whole panel.

Also, could I recommend that the next image release contains the network-manager-kde package?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:10 pm 

Quote:
Thanks, it runs great on my relatively cheap class 10 SD card. I was almost ready to embark on the emdebian journey myself when you released this.

The only quirk I've found thus far is that kde4's widget-add interface wont respond to the mouse except as a whole panel.

Also, could I recommend that the next image release contains the network-manager-kde package?
Yes, it appears we found a bug in kde plasma for armhf, I've already notified the maintainers and they confirmed it :)

Regarding networkmanager-kde, it just compiled properly so next image will include it, plus the newer kernel and the X.org imxng driver. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:22 pm 

Very, very nice.

I quite like the "awesome" environment. Just what the doctor ordered.

Is it possible to install this to the internal SSD? If so, how should I go about it?

Daily Driver: Genesi Efika MX Smartbook. Sunday Driver: IBM Model 5160. Other computers: None needed. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:31 am 

I have tested that if you have a microsd inserted the debian on SD doesn't start, so please eject microsd if you have one inserted.

Another important thing is to have a SD of at least 4GB for put the debian image on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:41 pm 

Well, I managed to get this installed to the internal SSD, however...udev refuses to cooperate with the kernel, of course. I was already aware of the updated udev refusing to cooperate under kernel 2.6.31, but is there a way during debootstrap to force the last known working version of udev?

If not, then I guess I'm stuck with armel for now. :(

Daily Driver: Genesi Efika MX Smartbook. Sunday Driver: IBM Model 5160. Other computers: None needed. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:53 am 

Quote:
Well, I managed to get this installed to the internal SSD, however...udev refuses to cooperate with the kernel, of course. I was already aware of the updated udev refusing to cooperate under kernel 2.6.31, but is there a way during debootstrap to force the last known working version of udev?

If not, then I guess I'm stuck with armel for now. :(
In the file /etc/init.d/udev, check the following function:
Code:
supported_kernel() {
case "$(uname -r)" in
2.[012345].*|2.6.[0-9]|2.6.[0-9][!0-9]*) return 1 ;;
2.6.[12][0-9]|2.6.[12][0-9][!0-9]*) return 1 ;;
2.6.30|2.6.30[!0-9]*) return 1 ;;
esac
return 0
}
just comment the last line so that it looks like:
Code:
supported_kernel() {
case "$(uname -r)" in
2.[012345].*|2.6.[0-9]|2.6.[0-9][!0-9]*) return 1 ;;
2.6.[12][0-9]|2.6.[12][0-9][!0-9]*) return 1 ;;
# 2.6.30|2.6.30[!0-9]*) return 1 ;;
esac
return 0
}

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:04 pm 

Noticed on the last attempt that the iMX kernel in the repository is now 2.6.39 (I think)... but I haven't gotten this to boot. Just a white flash on startup, then total darkness on the screen.

The closest-to-working solution (where it booted, but udev would throw a fit) was reached before by doing the usual debootstrap stuff, and then copying over the boot partition from the live SD image. Ugly solution, (and I really wish I knew how to generate uBoot images the proper way), but I'll try doing it over again on an SD card and post the results, if any.

Thank you markos!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:50 pm 

EGL and OpenGL ES don't appear to be working. I'm using Debian ARMHF + GNOME

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:56 pm 

Quote:
And it won't be working unless we can get armhf binary drivers from Freescale, 3D drivers on ARM is a complicated story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:46 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
And it won't be working unless we can get armhf binary drivers from Freescale, 3D drivers on ARM is a complicated story.
Freescale is working with us to get the get the binary parts of the GPU drivers re-compiled for ARMhf. It's not a complex task, but their team is relatively small and is pre-occupied with the mx6 debug. Btw, the mx6 silicon is looking good and the initial benchmarks are very exciting. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:55 pm 

Hi,

The armhf port works well on my smartbook too.

Simply insert an SD Card and boot, is awesome, and incredibly easy.

Of course, I had to omptimize a bit, and if this can help, the most simple is to

1) use a big card ( 16GB e.g., prefer Sandisk)
2) dd the image
3) resize the original partition using Gparted
4) create a swap partition (say 1GB)

Ok, the F1 ... F11 are yet painfull ( Xmodpmap does not work with the current layout), but I'll have a deeper look.

Congratulations to the EFIKA Team, and to Konstantinos Margaritis who did a fantastic work !

P.S. : to add my 2 cts, I did a Debian port of OOo4Kids, but OOoLight should be available soon (see Debian armhf port at : http://eric.bachard.org/news/ )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:47 am 

Quote:
P.S. : to add my 2 cts, I did a Debian port of OOo4Kids, but OOoLight should be available soon (see Debian armhf port at : http://eric.bachard.org/news/ )
Just installed ooo4kids for armhf on my smartbook, works great! Until OOo/LO is properly built on armhf, I will at least have no excuse anymore that I don't have an office suite for armhf!!

Thanks a lot!