All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:12 am 

Just in from my brother, eyes so wide open it hurts:

It's already being sold by Embest, a chinese design and manufacturing company. How much Open Source? Well... this much...

Last edited by jcmarcos on Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:02 am 

Quote:
Just in from my brother, eyes so wide open it hurts:

It's already being sold by Embest, a chinese design and manufacturing company from which my brother's company already buys turnkey systems (Athena, WayTRKR box), for their "localizatodo.com" GPS location service.

How much Open Source? Well... this much...
... smells a lot like a modified beagleboard... still, on a forum for Genesi products, I'd rather you just provided the link for this device and not a "huge" advert for a competitor product :P

The bad side is that TI already consider the omap3 obsolete and have put all their weight behind omap4, which means that you can expect very little in terms of compiler support, new revisions in the chip -it does have some bugs still.

It does look nice, but I've seen a similar product that looks nicer -I guess you'll find out soon enough :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:59 pm 

Quote:
already buys turnkey systems (Athena, WayTRKR box), for their "localizatodo.com" GPS location service.
nice but just a flash clone of the well known marinetraffic.com.

© MarineTraffic.com, Developed and Hosted by the Department of Product & Systems Design Engineering - University of the Aegean (Syros, Greece)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:44 am 

Quote:
smells a lot like a modified beagleboard...
Sure? Then, it's a heavy modification!
Quote:
I'd rather you just provided the link for this device and not a "huge" advert for a competitor product :P
UNderstood. Feel free to remove the picture, I chose it in a hurry. The fact that it's a competitor is intentional, of course. :D
Quote:
TI already consider the omap3 obsolete
One can say that about just any technology out there. Still, it looks like a viable product. Alright, it's not a final product, but can lead to some that might be. One is not forced to use the latest single iteration of a technology (as opposed to what sales people make people think).
Quote:
you can expect very little in terms of compiler support, new revisions in the chip -it does have some bugs still.
That's what the dictionary of computer terms has for the word "stable" ;)
Quote:
I've seen a similar product that looks nicer -I guess you'll find out soon enough :)
Noticed the smiley, but right now I've no idea. Which one?
Quote:
Quote:
localizatodo.com GPS location service.
nice but just a flash clone of the well known marinetraffic.com.
I'm pretty sure the people of "localizatodo" weren't even aware of the existance of "marinetraffic" when they conceived it.

Could you tell when was "marinetraffic" born? DataVoice's site came out of honest personal interest, as its boss is an amateur sailor.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:04 am 

Quote:
Quote:
TI already consider the omap3 obsolete
One can say that about just any technology out there. Still, it looks like a viable product. Alright, it's not a final product, but can lead to some that might be. One is not forced to use the latest single iteration of a technology (as opposed to what sales people make people think).
I was being literal. At the UDS in Orlando, there was the OMAP Linaro kernel/toolchain maintainer who quoted TI's intention to completely abandon OMAP3 in favour of OMAP4. In essence, they won't hinder OMAP3 support, but they will not actively support it either.
Quote:
you can expect very little in terms of compiler support, new revisions in the chip -it does have some bugs still.
That's what the dictionary of computer terms has for the word "stable" ;)

[/quote]

Er, not really, beagleboards -even the latest revisions- are known to be unstable and crash occasionally for no apparent reason. There is a number of workarounds in the kernel to cope with those bugs. You may call that 'stable' but to me it's far from ever reaching stable status.

I like my beagleboard, but I like my EfikaMX much more. The fact that I work for Genesi is irrelevant, it's a much much nicer platform to work on :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:53 am 

Quote:
beagleboards -even the latest revisions- are known to be unstable and crash occasionally for no apparent reason. There is a number of workarounds in the kernel to cope with those bugs.
WOT?! I thought life was much more rosy there. Big surprise. You know, it's very dishearting when I (attempt) to read messages here, about patches to the kernel, with those fancy logs and all... But htis is Power developer!
Quote:
I like my EfikaMX much more.
Indeed, Genesi's offer looks very nice. Have you got in the works something with that fashionable "tablet" form factor, that has everyone unexplicably raving about lately?
Quote:
The fact that I work for Genesi is irrelevant
No. The fact that you work for Genesi is that you are a brilliant worker!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:02 am 

Quote:
Indeed, Genesi's offer looks very nice. Have you got in the works something with that fashionable "tablet" form factor, that has everyone unexplicably raving about lately?
... take a closer look at the photo in Bill's latest blog (hint: right side) :P

No. The fact that you work for Genesi is that you are a brilliant worker![/quote]

Thanks, I appreciate that :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:05 am 

Quote:
take a closer look at the photo in Bill's latest blog (hint: right side)
Oh, sure, there's a tablet computer over there. But I thought it was something unrelated, like if it was an iPad that someone forgot to take out for the photo.

I should have remembered that Genesi likes to tease... Could you please tease us with some more details about it? Or when we'll get to know more?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:35 am 

It's not one of these ?
http://www.sobuying.com/products/freesc ... games.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:09 am 

Quote:
I guess if you just compare the hardware specs you'll see that all those are pretty similar yes. The differences are actually elsewhere. One can even buy some el cheapo android tablets for $70 directly from China right now, but good luck running anything other than the preinstalled Android or Ubuntu there. Or getting any other kind of support for that matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:08 am 

I did find it interesting at all rather i will prefer to buy some good stuff then this. I like galaxy tab and i am buying it soon.

open source manufacturing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:23 am 

Yeah, I have a witstech A81e (same as the original A81, just with android by default.) It has the same OMAP3 as the beagleboard, although they do have their own PCB.

I bought it because witstech seemed like a reputable company, even though it is a shenzhen one.

Even though it was "launched" in July/August 2010 (for $200,) they stopped issuing firmware updates in February. The last ROM is the 110221 ROM.

Additionally, there are so many software & hardware bugs/quirks with it.

And worst of all, they blatantly violate the GPL.

Now I'm happy with my $400 Eee Pad Transformer :D (And I'm looking to sell my wits A81e.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:31 pm 

The Trim Slice looks interesting as well. It uses a dual core 1GHz Nvidia Tegra2 and also has 1GB of RAM as well as different options for hard drive storage.