All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:05 pm 

Wow. I didnt realize I asked such tough questions. OK, so I looked up the WXGA, it is 1280 x 800 ? Perhaps that could be added to http://www.genesi-usa.com/products/netbook.

It is unknown if this has any hdmi ? And if it does have hdmi, does the audio work or some short cut like beagalboard.

http://www.genesi-usa.com/products/netbook says it has "Multi-format HD 720p video decoder and D1 video encoder hardware engine" so I dont think ill have a problem with dvd like video.

I have seen some of the pictures of the new netbook, it doenst look like it has a windows key which is good, but was wondering what it was. ( not all that important, just so its not windows)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:29 pm 

somewhat off-topic, and possibly pointless to ask too, as the subject has been shrouded in secrecy ever since:

can anybody tell with a degree of certainty what is the gpu (the gl es 2.0 one) in the iMX515?

i've read various acconts on the subject, by people guessing, or 'being practically sure' of this and that but nobody has been able to tell for a fact that the gpu in the iMX515 is such-and-such.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:27 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Wow. I didnt realize I asked such tough questions. OK, so I looked up the WXGA, it is 1280 x 800 ? Perhaps that could be added to http://www.genesi-usa.com/products/netbook.
1024x600.
Quote:
It is unknown if this has any hdmi ? And if it does have hdmi, does the audio work or some short cut like beagalboard.
Not the Netbook. However the line-out is one of the best audio outputs I have ever heard on *ANY* system - even my iRiver MP3 player (which continues to astound me). You will not have any issues watching a movie on an airplane :D
Quote:
I have seen some of the pictures of the new netbook, it doenst look like it has a windows key which is good, but was wondering what it was. ( not all that important, just so its not windows)
:)

You certainly have not seen pictures of the new Netbook. However you have seen pictures of the old design :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:04 am 

Quote:
You certainly have not seen pictures of the new Netbook. However you have seen pictures of the old design :)
Then, you know what to do... Post some photos of the new design! That will raise some eyebrows.

(pleeeeeeeaaaaase)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:11 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Then, you know what to do... Post some photos of the new design! That will raise some eyebrows.

(pleeeeeeeaaaaase)

A house? A home?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:09 pm 

The same key as the Linux EeePC has, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:42 pm 

Quote:
1024x600
perhaps that could be added to http://www.genesi-usa.com/products/netbook
Quote:
Quote:
Not the Netbook. However the line-out is one of the best audio outputs I have ever heard on *ANY* system - even my iRiver MP3 player (which continues to astound me). You will not have any issues watching a movie on an airplane :D
Thats good for headphones, but doest work well for connecting to a TV to watch a movie, presentation, or picture viewing.

I assume its not possible to change that design ? I know about keeping the cost down, and the design is probably final, but i really dont think thats good having any device like that without the digital.

thanks

matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:06 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Thats good for headphones, but doest work well for connecting to a TV to watch a movie, presentation, or picture viewing.
You are expecting way too much.

Seriously, a Netbook is not meant to sit under a TV. What is the point in having a screen on it for that?

We have other products around the same chip and the features you want which will be better suited to a TV.
Quote:
I assume its not possible to change that design ? I know about keeping the cost down, and the design is probably final, but i really dont think thats good having any device like that without the digital.
Like I said; the target market of the Netbook is NOT to be a media center settop, although as a portable movie player it would be pretty damn awesome as well as all the other things that are possible.

The Efika MX Client will function perfectly well with what you want. You can't have it all in one box, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:06 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
The same key as the Linux EeePC has, right?
Yes, and therefore people should already be used to it :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:13 pm 

Quote:
You are expecting way too much.
Right now my brother uses his ipod to connect to the tv and watch whatever. I dont because the quality is not there. But if the ipod can, i dont see why anything else cant, unless cost is an issue since i was requesting digital.
Quote:
What is the point in having a screen on it for that?
flexablity, of course the screen would be the most used, but if someone ask lets watch this on the bigger screen, i think it should be doable.
Quote:
We have other products around the same chip and the features you want which will be better suited to a TV.
Is is that the Efika MX Open Client ? I was looking at that. Thats not portable, and I thought that was only 720p ? I know that probably wont do high def video, but would also be used for web browsing, so i would like a higher def for that.

I know you cant have everything. As much as I would like to see a 1 GB of ram, I understand that it cant have everything. Digital outputs are something i dont think should be skipped. Unless hdmi is too costly, is display port cheaper ?

As much as I am dissapointed in the lack of digital out, I am really excited about possibley getting an arm cpu, away from x86 :)

matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:59 pm 

just anther thought, perhaps have dvi with the vga pins used. that way the user can use either. that could save space, not sure about cost. and of course audio would work with hdmi connected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:27 am 

I've said it before and I will say it again.

Get something thas is built to be a set-top
box, instead of some computer.

You will probably save at least half your money!

Then get the netbook and use it for what it's for -
browse the web.

..or get an iPhone to do the same.

HDMI on a netbook is one of the wierdest ideas I've
heard in a long time. No business projectors use HDMI
- they all use VGA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:20 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Thats not portable, and I thought that was only 720p?
The Netbook has the same limitation.

BTW DVI-I would cost more and vastly increase the size of the Netbook case, than what we're currently looking to produce.
Quote:
I know you cant have everything. As much as I would like to see a 1 GB of ram, I understand that it cant have everything.
This is a limitation of the chip - it only supports 512MB in this part of the product line.
Quote:
Digital outputs are something i dont think should be skipped. Unless hdmi is too costly, is display port cheaper ?
It is mostly a form factor decision. Netbooks are for portability - while Kristian I think is being a little short sighted ("Netbooks are for browsing the web only" kind of discussion belies the awesomeness of the design) he is absolutely right. A Netbook is not for putting under the TV to watch video.

Digital audio output is not really a concern when you consider that most people do not own a pair of optical headphones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:46 am 

matt,

is your position on hdmi due to a particular tv set having only such an input, or is it from principle? if the latter, as a dvi+vga side-by-side-on-the-same-desktop user i can assure you that vga outputs fine singnalling in comparison to dvi.

in all fairness, i've seen tv sets which would produce a clearly sub-par picture when fed from vga (most often borked saturation) but that's not a problem of the interface as such.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:49 am 

Quote:
I've said it before and I will say it again.
Please stop. I am hoping that I could connect this to a larger screen or tv once in a while, if ever. I dont want to speed more money or carry around extra hardware (a separate media player as you suggest), or more wires.
Quote:
Netbooks are for portability....
Exactly, thats why i am soo interested.
Quote:
A Netbook is not for putting under the TV to watch video.
The idea was to quickly plug it in and watch something, TV show, movie, youtube (If I were a youtube fan), hulu (for example). I am in no way saying that is the primary purpose or i am going to replace the dvd player. I want the video (and audio) out as another use, easily.
Quote:
is your position on hdmi due to a particular tv set having only such an input, or is it from principle? if the latter, as a dvi+vga side-by-side-on-the-same-desktop user i can assure you that vga outputs fine singnalling in comparison to dvi.
I have noticed with digital the image usually fits the screen better and vga is a little off center. The correct screen screen size and aspect ratio is more likely to be correct; no square screen stretching. And hdmi has audio, less wires. Overall just easier to quickly connect.

I dont expect genesi to make any changes, I believe their design is more or less finalized ? I am just really disapointed that its lacking hdmi or display port.