All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: The topic says it all...
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:26 pm 
Genesi

This past week we posted this picture and shared the discussion that follows about the "EFIKA2"...

Quote:
You will note we are in the process of preparation...

http://projects.powerdeveloper.org/projects.php

The "EFIKA2" has been our way of describing what is next for at least the last three to four years. The first EFIKA came to market with the 5200 and was launched at FTF 2005.

http://www.genesi-usa.com/press/2005/6/24/

At the Forum, Genesi also introduced the EFIKA 5K2, a MPC5200 Performance Evaluation Board. Genesi will now work with graphics card manufacturers to optimize the board through the use of the onboard PCI support in order to transition to a smaller two chip board solution targeted at mobile and embedded applications.

The first "EFIKA2" was the next version which featured the 5200B, an updated version of the 5200. These boards first shipped in November 2006 and continue to be sold today.

In the meanwhile, the next "EFIKA2" was planned around the 5121e/5123, but after a significant amount of development we have abandoned this effort. The chip went through too many revisions and we wasted significant time and money supporting THTF/LimePC and Cherrypal without compensation or reward. Our conclusion: 1) the 5121e/5123 is not well-suited for consumer products that require a desktop environment, and 2) the 5121e/5123 was designed as an embedded processor and will find success in the industrial and automotive segments. Nevertheless, we did our best to support Freescale and have maintained this effort until very recently:

http://en.opensuse.org/MPC5121eADS

All that to say, the next "EFIKA2" will truly be something new, so please stay tuned...
Most folks know we have had a complete development environment up and running for the last year around the ARM9 board we developed for Toshiba. That board, supported by the newest version of Aura, has been in distribution for months. We have decided to keep going in that direction with a new ARM based processor.

The board pictured above next to the Open Client is a Freescale Reference Design for the i.MX51. This is what Freescale presented at CES last week.

We will have more details soon. Be sure those of you who have been active developers and completed EFIKA Projects will have the highest priority as we begin a new Program.

R&B :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:10 pm 

Ok, so new hardware will be ARM based.

I have just checked "Projects" section and there is no EFIKA 8610 now :-(
"A new developer program around a new hardware development will begin soon. Check back for details!"

What happened to MPC8610 based machine?

Is Genesi going to produce some PowerPC based machines in 2009?

Thanks in advance for answer,
best regards,
Luky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:57 pm 

I thought you where powerpc only? Guess not.
So the efika2 does not have anything in common with the efika then.
Anyway apple got away with their change to x86 :-)
Go make it something good.
I am curious to learn some more specs.
Will it come with an linux distro?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:09 am 

Quote:

"A new developer program around a new hardware development will begin soon. Check back for details!"

Thanks in advance for answer,
best regards,
Luky
I very much hope there will be some ppc machine, too. ARM is powerful, energy and cost efficient, but it lacks MorphOS support - which reduces attractivity for me very much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:21 am 

Quote:
I very much hope there will be some ppc machine, too. ARM is powerful, energy and cost efficient, but it lacks MorphOS support - which reduces attractivity for me very much.
I'm a Linux guy and came to Genesi / PPC for energy efficiency, which ARM also provides. But my favorite Linux does not support ARM yet, so there is still room for improvement :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:51 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:

We're doing the i.MX515 first. It's a slightly more immediate opportunity. Until the MPC8610 project is on a back burner (although Peter and I are still working on it).
Quote:
That depends on how the i.MX515 project goes :D
Quote:
I thought you where powerpc only? Guess not.
You didn't see that we did an ARM reference design last year?

It doesn't matter what processor it is, the key is that it's low power, and highly efficient.
Quote:
So the efika2 does not have anything in common with the efika then.

Anyway apple got away with their change to x86 :-)

Will it come with an linux distro?
We are not trying to "get away" with a change to another architecture. We're involved in this exactly because of our work with the MPC5121e (bplan put a lot of effort into software development and drivers here for AXE and MBX)

As for nothing in common, you might consider that the Efika2 based on the i.MX51 has a lot more in common with Efika3, which would have a lot in common with the original Efika. There is nothing new under the sun here; work on one project leads to another, and integrates efforts put into other projects, which may have produced products on the store, or may not. Naive example; Efika and Pegasos share an audio connector layout. Development on Aura has been ongoing and released on the Toshiba board.. but it works on PowerPC too :)

As for Linux, Freescale announced at CES that the Pegatron i.MX51 Netbook will come with an ARM-based Ubuntu.. basically a good decision as since it's based on Debian, it has a reliable, and long-time ARM EABI port with which to get started on. We can't fault this decision, really. I would have prefered SUSE (and still would if it was PowerPC, since the support is better than Canonical would offer) but SUSE doesn't have any concerted interested in ARM right this very second (just a project to make Build Service cross-compile ARM, I guess this is the start..)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:40 am 

Quote:
We're doing the i.MX515 first
But, if Pegatron is going to build products around the i-MX515, what will Genesi do? Another product that is the same? Or Genesi's role is to aid in development? Can't Pegatron do that themselves?
Quote:
the MPC8610 project is on a back burner
Which, in this so fast changing industry, sounds much like "abandoned". It's a pity, with the recent appeareance of the "Redtail" board, the only MPC8610 based computer (that I know of) which is not a development board. Well, it actualy is...
Quote:
we did an ARM reference design last year
True, but it wasn't much "advertised". Many folks haven't noticed. There's been a lot of talk about the 8610 and 5121e, and almost none for the ARM.
Quote:
It doesn't matter what processor it is, the key is that it's low power, and highly efficient.
Of course. As long as your favourite software runs, you no longer care about the CPU technology. I guess that us MorphOS lovers do have a problem. Not that it matters much to the world, but we are again without fresh hardware. But it's nobody's fault.
Quote:
We're involved in this exactly because of our work with the MPC5121e (bplan put a lot of effort into software development and drivers here for AXE and MBX)
I hope you can save as much work done as you can. To what extent one can say that an i.MX515 is a MPC5121e, but with an ARM core?
Quote:
There is nothing new under the sun here; work on one project leads to another, and integrates efforts put into other projects, which may have produced products on the store, or may not.
Granted, that's life.
Quote:
Development on Aura has been ongoing and released on the Toshiba board.
The word "Aura" hasn't been mentioned since eons ago. See? That's why this "new plan" takes people by surprise.
Anyway, I hope you the best of luck with this new endeavour. I would prefer Genesi and bplan developing the end user product instead of Pegatron, but I suppose they are more than capable of doing so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:08 am 
Genesi

More details...

i.MX515 Cortex A8 Netbook Processor

jcmarcos, Pegatron will not be shipping a product themselves and neither will Freescale.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:18 am 

Quote:
More details...

i.MX515 Cortex A8 Netbook Processor

jcmarcos, Pegatron will not be shipping a product themselves and neither will Freescale.

Thankfully it includes a modern SIMD unit (NEON) and even if it didn't it seems this chip will offer everything a modern netbook user needs, and more. Good choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:50 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
But, if Pegatron is going to build products around the i-MX515, what will Genesi do? Another product that is the same? Or Genesi's role is to aid in development? Can't Pegatron do that themselves?
There's far more to a product than putting a PCB in a case, and shipping it :D
Quote:
Quote:
the MPC8610 project is on a back burner
Which, in this so fast changing industry, sounds much like "abandoned". It's a pity, with the recent appeareance of the "Redtail" board, the only MPC8610 based computer (that I know of) which is not a development board. Well, it actualy is..
Quote:
I hope you can save as much work done as you can. To what extent one can say that an i.MX515 is a MPC5121e, but with an ARM core?
It's nothing like the MPC5121e but the graphics are yet again proprietary and targetted towards "embedded" - things like the video decoder/encoder probably won't be open source. We have some experience on this.
Quote:
The word "Aura" hasn't been mentioned since eons ago. See? That's why this "new plan" takes people by surprise.
Well, it's not really a user-level technology. It's targeted at OEMs and ODMs and our own products, such that they can get advanced features, faster board bring-up. Aura can literally be ported to a new platform in a matter of days, and it enables an existing Aura-enabled kernel to boot on it without any changes. The FreeBSD on Efika project is stalled right now because of a lack of an interrupt controller driver; with Aura, this would not be an issue at all. You get a virtual interrupt controller (which appears as a single, preconfigured interrupt controller and hides all the cascading), a virtual "serial port" (which could be a buffer in RAM or a VFD/OLED display, or a keyboard and monitor), a virtual PCI bus, and desktop graphics support (runs x86 VESA BIOS and provides a fixed-function truecolor framebuffer).
Quote:
Anyway, I hope you the best of luck with this new endeavour. I would prefer Genesi and bplan developing the end user product instead of Pegatron, but I suppose they are more than capable of doing so.
Indeed. However Pegatron is focussed on what you get in the box when you buy it - everything from the type of cardboard, the design, the PCB and chassis, component recommendation, cables and peripherals, manuals, OS DVDs, that kind of thing. There are several significant things Genesi can offer which do not come in the box. Sites like this, for example. When you got your EeePC did you get a community like this one with it? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:53 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Thankfully it includes a modern SIMD unit (NEON) and even if it didn't it seems this chip will offer everything a modern netbook user needs, and more. Good choice.
How about it then.. libfreevec for NEON! :D

Luckily there are platforms around which implement the unit without waiting for the i.MX51 to appear.

I'd actually like some opinions on the Beagleboard :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:02 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
How about it then.. libfreevec for NEON! :D
Well, I already am expanding libfreevec to be a full libc replacement (altivec/cell/sse), so I guess NEON would be the next logical candidate. (only 32-bit for now, 64-bit will come later) :)
Quote:
Luckily there are platforms around which implement the unit without waiting for the i.MX51 to appear.

looks nice, but actually i have a little bit too many dev boards on my desk right now :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:09 pm 

Quote:
-no audio over hdmi
-no optical spdif out
-no ethernet
-no dual ethernet

i dont see the point in s-video out, deprecated.

a pcie slot would be nice for a wireless card or more powerful graphics card.

as i have said before, i am looking for a tiny media computer for the tv, and a more open tiny computer for network management.

i realize the beagal board is more embedded that what i described.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:54 pm 

what kind of audio options does the efika2 / i.MX515 have? I could not find that info. Maybe i overlooked it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:07 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
-no audio over hdmi
-no optical spdif out
-no ethernet
-no dual ethernet
You're just complaining about stuff the chip doesn't even have..

For ethernet, it has a USB port. You can use USB ethernet. You can put on a USB audio controller. For optical audio.. this is not so important for this kind of board, but you CAN get USB-audio controllers that will output to a special HDMI cable for you.
Quote:
i dont see the point in s-video out, deprecated.
It seems they follow the same design principles as bplan - if it's on the chip, route it out :D In this case the DVI encoder obviously has an S-Video port on it too.
Quote:
as i have said before, i am looking for a tiny media computer for the tv, and a more open tiny computer for network management.

i realize the beagal board is more embedded that what i described.
Then why even bother posting....