All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:40 am 

Since I already posted on my original headless thread in the Users section I will link there:

http://www.powerdeveloper.org/forums/vi ... 6215#16215

That should have all the info you need along with earlier posts on how the headless setup works.

This is not a genesi supported image just an update to a project I did last summer.

a short summary is you download the tar file, extract it run the installer script that puts it on an SD card and then boot it on the Efika. the light will start blinking red and you will see efikamx-installer-macaddresshere in your DHCP leases for its IP address.
there is also a fallback IP of 192.168.93.42

log in over ssh or even on the console as oem password oem and follow the instructions to set it up.

It's intended for people that might want to use the smart top as a headless server. (also for people that might want to be able to set it up/install it without a keyboard or an HDMI monitor to plug into it which was the situation I was in originally when I did the maverick image)

It blinks red to say it has an installer SD card booted and its waiting for you to log in over the network.

When it blinks red it either means you have entered the initial setup menu and are going through it or it has been installed to the internal SSD and is waiting for first time setup.

I figured that would be helpful to make sure people don't forget they have an insecure machine on their network waiting to be set up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:40 am 

I installed your headless Wheezy image on my smarttop yesterday, and after a couple of missteps, all has worked out swimmingly. Now I just have to implement all of my ideas for it. As a first step, I at least now have a dedicated Pulseaudio server so I can finally just keep my speakers plugged into one device rather than constantly swapping them to my various laptops.

Anyway, as an FYI I ran into one problem. When I first booted the image from the SD card and began the installation process, many things were failing due to sudo not recognizing the hostname ('efikamx-installer-macaddresshere'). As a quick fix, when I was dropped to the shell I added that name as an alias for localhost in /etc/hosts and that seemed to do the trick. I don't know if that was a complete kludge, but it worked for me.

Thanks and nice work!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:58 am 

Quote:
Since I already posted on my original headless thread in the Users section I will link there:

http://www.powerdeveloper.org/forums/vi ... 6215#16215

That should have all the info you need along with earlier posts on how the headless setup works.

This is not a genesi supported image just an update to a project I did last summer.
Works perfectly! Thank You very much.

I have now a small EfikaMX based NAS server with AFP/SMB sharing. Storage is on an external 2TB hard drive connected over USB. After small adjustments and fixes the external hard drive spins down after 2 hours of idling. EfikaMX NAS is also compatible with OSX Lion's TimeMachine.

PS. One thing that annoyed me were unset locales. Because of that nearly every single apt-get was giving a lot of warnings :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:46 am 

Quote:
Quote:
I have now a small EfikaMX based NAS server with AFP/SMB sharing. Storage is on an external 2TB hard drive connected over USB. After small adjustments and fixes the external hard drive spins down after 2 hours of idling. EfikaMX NAS is also compatible with OSX Lion's TimeMachine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:54 pm 
Genesi

That's awesome Michal! You should do a writeup on it for others ;)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:06 pm 

Hi

I loved your image.
I would like to know if it's possible to ass LUKS support at install ?

I tried to install a first time the system.
I boot
I complete the installer script
i backup the root into a archive the same SD card
I reboot on the SD card
I install encryptsetup
i create my LUKS partition (no LVM volume inside, i find it useless for 8Gb)
I restore the backup on the SSD (sda2)
i mount sda2 in /mnt/system
i mount /dev/sda1 in /mnt/system/boot
i chroot everything (# chroot /mnt/system)
i modify /etc/crypttab and /etc/fstab
i exit and reboot
i tried to connect my keyboard and type my password but it didn't work

I tried a second time and nothing happened.

Could you add LUKS support please ? With remote mounting with SSH could be awesome.

I don't know where is my bug, maybe uboot can't accept it, maybe i need to re create the initramfs and uboot work with it.
Any help ?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:45 am 

Hi. I may just add LUKS support in the installer. in the mean time I will have to try this manually myself and see if I can give you some steps that work. I just went through converting an ubuntu 12.04LTS un-encrypted install to a LUKS encrypted install on my Thinkpad not too long ago. so I don't think it will be that difficult.

probably one of the things that you need to be most sure of is that all the modules needed to successfully decrpypt with cryptsetup are loaded at early boot.

but I will check into it. I need to get a real wheezy image released anyway now that it is officially out and no longer just a snapshot of sid. (like my previous "wheezy" images) there's some issues with the new xorg etc that neeed sorting out though as far as I know. (those don't apply to squeeze though, no excuse not to do a headless image either way)

Although it should be mentioned that having a LUKS encrypted SSD would of course make the headless aspect a bit null and void, unless you want some way to ssh into the initrd to enter in the password to mount root. (or have some key file on USB or something)

it might be interesting to see if I can make some debian-installer images using working efikaMX kernels but right now I don't have much time to work on legacy EfikaMX stuff. I will probably do well to make updated squeeze/wheezy images sometime in the future.