All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: Debian LENNY on efika
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:47 pm 

is there a possibility to install fresh debian 5.0 without using di_efika ?

My attepmt of updating working debian 4.0 with kernel 2.6.33 by changing mirror.list from etch to lenny went...not well :-/ dependences were problem

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:50 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
is there a possibility to install fresh debian 5.0 without using di_efika ?

My attepmt of updating working debian 4.0 with kernel 2.6.33 by changing mirror.list from etch to lenny went...not well :-/ dependences were problem
I'm afraid you might be on your own here.

What you have to do is take a working kernel (compile EVERYTHING as built-in, you can't rely on modules) and basically attach the debian-installer initrd (download the one from Lenny) using mkzimage or mkvmlinuz.

Unfortunately Genesi can't keep solving issues of distribution support on it's own; especially for systems which could be over 4 years old now, the scope for reinstalling a PPC Efika is very small (most have had it installed and aren't about to trash their working setup).

It is up to the users and developers and the distribution vendors to properly support hardware after a certain point.

If anyone wants to step up to the plate and remix the Debian installer files so they work on Efika PPC, we will be glad to host it and support problems on the forums but most of the engineering work we're doing right now concentrates on the i.MX systems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:10 am 

AFAIR, I have Debian Lenny installed on my test EFIKA, so it should be possible without di_efika (which I only used for initial board bring up). Sorry, no details, as I don't have any time to check, or the machine easily available for a quick look :-(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:22 am 

Quote:
AFAIR, I have Debian Lenny installed on my test EFIKA, so it should be possible without di_efika (which I only used for initial board bring up). Sorry, no details, as I don't have any time to check, or the machine easily available for a quick look :-(
I have squeeze on 2 of my efikas, but I did this the hard way. I clean-installed di_efika and then upgraded to the current version (sarge->etch->lenny->squeeze). Seems to be working fine though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:06 am 

BTW, the debian efika net-installer isnt working anymore.

I think its because they changed the address of the repositories.

Can we have a fixed one?

Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:19 am 

i'm not a debian user but i suppose you have more chance to get support writing on debian-ppc ml. Maybe, there, you 'll find someone able to share something.