All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:36 am 

Hi,

Due to an annoyning bug in the OF, the marvell-gigabit interface is not detected correctly on first boot after powercut.
Therefore I want to have the system automatically reboot and restart, if linux detects the problem.
So I need to set some OF-variable in order to take a different path in the bootmenu ... Is this possible ?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:23 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Hi,

Due to an annoyning bug in the OF, the marvell-gigabit interface is not detected correctly on first boot after powercut.
Therefore I want to have the system automatically reboot and restart, if linux detects the problem.
So I need to set some OF-variable in order to take a different path in the bootmenu ... Is this possible ?
No. Linux kills off the firmware client interface so there's no transmitting data back to it UNLESS you hack it into the boot wrapper (or prom_init.c and the ilk). This will effectively allow you to reboot before Linux is really loaded.

Actually this would be the perfect place, but of course the Marvell driver is not loaded yet, if you make a mistake, the kernel may simply reboot over and over again :)

Therefore, your best bet is to find out what is different about the configuration of the Marvell ethernet and do the check - and the reboot - in a Forth script. This is far safer and doesn't rely on driver loading..