All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:04 am 

Just hoping someone can recommend a decent remote desktop viewer app for Debian. Ideally something simple that can let me control my EFIKA desktop from Windows over the LAN. I use UltraVNC on Windows to access my other PC's but am unfamiliar with Linux equivalents, particularly for PPC.

Ultimately until MorphOS is released I'll have it set up as a file store/torrent/IRC client running 24/7 to save me leaving my main PC on and "do my bit" for the environment. If I can get a decent remote viewer app I figured I can do away with the monitor, keyboard and mouse and save a bit more energy and space.
Any recommendations?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:57 am 

I don't really understand which computer you want to
have running. But there are VNC viewers and servers
in both Gnome and KDE.

KRDC is a good client. I think it handles VNC as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:00 am 
Genesi

Hi.

You can use tightVNC - it's my personal favorite.
In Ubuntu (and probably Debian), you can get the server with aptitude install tightvncserver.

You can then run it with
Code:
vncserver -geometry 800x600 -depth 16
or something similar (it will ask for a password the first time you run this), and then connect with your vnc client (UltraCNC) to ip-address-of-efika:1 (the 1 indicates the screen , unlike in Windows, you can have many).

The config file
Code:
.vnc/xstartup
determines what GUI you will see; you can put there something like:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

#For Fluxbox:
fluxbox &

#For Gnome:
#unset SESSION_MANAGER
#exec gnome-session &

Best regards,
Johan

Yep, I have a blog... PurpleAlienPlanet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:18 pm 

Thank you very much Johan. Got tightvnc up and running in no time under Debian (prefer the speed over Ubuntu), fluxbox wouldn't display anything for some reason when I tried to activate it but Gnome does the job perfectly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:00 am 

I would like to resurrect this topic because I am having trouble while connecting to my Debian-etch Efika (with XFCE4 session) through my VNC-Windows Client.

It connects fine and accepts the password, but all I get is the gray scren and the cursor.

I did enable remote desktop sharing from settings and installed vncserver via apt-get.

Any advices?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:25 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I would like to resurrect this topic because I am having trouble while connecting to my Debian-etch Efika (with XFCE4 session) through my VNC-Windows Client.

It connects fine and accepts the password, but all I get is the gray scren and the cursor.

I did enable remote desktop sharing from settings and installed vncserver via apt-get.

Any advices?
It sounds like you're not starting any session. A grey screen with a cursor is exactly what you get from X when you start it up with no application (be that calculator or a terminal window or Xeyes or Kwin or Gnome..)

I really don't remember how to set this up anymore, I have been so spoiled by SuSE which had VNC enabled for me on every install (I clicked a button on the installer, et voila..) - but there is a lot of mess behind the scenes with scripts calling scripts to get desktops to happen.

I will take a look and see if I can figure it out under Debian..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:50 pm 

Thanks Matt, I guess the problem is with XFCE, as STKD managed to run VNC under Gnome. After some Googling, I saw that there are many people who had trouble with XFCE and VNC, but I could not find a solution yet. There is a xstartup file in ~/.vnc/ , maybe it needs some configuration.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:59 am 

Tested on openSUSE, but should work also elsewhere, when vnc is not enabled from inetd (the way Matt uses it, which I really don't like). If you change the startup file, you need to shut down vncserver first. You can figure out what to shut down by listing the .vnc directory:
Code:
$ ls .vnc/
factory:1.log factory:1.pid passwd xstartup
so, int this case:
Code:
$ vncserver -kill :1
Original xstartup with tvm:
Code:
$ cat ~/.vnc/xstartup
#!/bin/sh

xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey