All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: Re: xserver in Debian
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:39 pm 

Quote:
After installing Sarge all right (apparently) there's no xserver configured. I don't know why, as no message was shown during installation. I tried to use some tools as XF86Setup and XFConfigurator but none is present and none would install with apt-get. I also failed with dpkg --configure xserver-xfree86.
Try running "X" from console.

Usually it will return with some sort of error message, like "no screens found" or so.

When this happens, rename your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and use "xf86cfg -textmode" to make a new config. You might use your backupped config to verify each section of the X11 config.

There's always a logfile at /var/log/XFree86.0.log as well.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:37 am 

hi,

why so complicated? the debian net-installer does the job fine on a fresh install.
just some finetuning of /etc/X11/XFConfig-4 afterwards if you like.

http://people.debian.org/~luther/debian ... hrp.initrd

:D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:18 pm 

Quote:
Thanks for your help, but I don't have xf86cfg, and I can't find any other tool to configure the xserver. I suppose I'll have to search a bit longer.
xf86cfg is in package xbase-clients, which should be essential when you want to use X.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:15 am 

don't know if it can help or make you even more confused but i run Debian with a Voodoo 3000 AGP without any problem here. On a Pegasos1 April2 though...