All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: next batch
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:06 am 
Genesi

The next batch of boards are in and have been for over a week, but we are still tweaking with Aura, which will ship on the boards.

More news soon...

R&B :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:11 pm 
Genesi

Nice :)

Can't wait for the final products!

Johan.

Yep, I have a blog... PurpleAlienPlanet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:05 am 

Are you going to be in time with your netbook? Even suzuki is releasing one (and i only know them from cars and motors): http://www.suzuki.sg/productinfodetails ... 31O538R530 . With so many netbooks around the market may become saturated soon?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:42 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Are you going to be in time with your netbook? Even suzuki is releasing one (and i only know them from cars and motors): http://www.suzuki.sg/productinfodetails ... 31O538R530 . With so many netbooks around the market may become saturated soon?
Remember we're marketing a Smartbook (ARM) and not a Netbook (Atom). There's a little difference in the market segment.

There are a few Smartbooks coming out at the same time but the market is small enough that anyone can compete right now; in fact, most of the players about to release products are just as small (if not smaller) than Genesi.

Probably the most innovative competitor is the AlwaysInnovating Touch Book - an 8.9" model with a removable screen. However, while it has the same screen resolution, we have a larger screen size (10.1"), I think our keyboard is much better, we definitely have a thinner and lighter design (definitely not "top heavy" since our motherboard is under the keys just like every other laptop - you pay a price for innovation) which does not trade off clamshell use for the touch panel. Ours is also going to be cheaper :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:49 am 

Quote:
Probably the most innovative competitor is the AlwaysInnovating Touch Book - an 8.9" model with a removable screen. However, while it has the same screen resolution, we have a larger screen size (10.1"), I think our keyboard is much better, we definitely have a thinner and lighter design (definitely not "top heavy" since our motherboard is under the keys just like every other laptop - you pay a price for innovation) which does not trade off clamshell use for the touch panel. Ours is also going to be cheaper :D
not meaning to hijack the thread, but the motheboard-behind-screen allows the AI guys to turn the keyboard into a 'docking-station'-type of add-on, the major benefit of which may be the second, larger battery (IIRC). please note i'm not citisizing Genesi's design here, just saying that AI may indeed have an innovative design on their hands.

on that note, when can i expect you guys to announce a smartpowerbook? ; )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:38 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
not meaning to hijack the thread, but the motheboard-behind-screen allows the AI guys to turn the keyboard into a 'docking-station'-type of add-on, the major benefit of which may be the second, larger battery (IIRC). please note i'm not citisizing Genesi's design here, just saying that AI may indeed have an innovative design on their hands.
No problem, that is a valid observation. The other thing is though is that having the battery in the screen and a battery in the keyboard makes it all the more heavy!

Also would you really travel around with a tablet and no docking station? I don't think it really works in real life. You may as well drop it on a desk and wire it up so it charges when it's down, have a nice stand and a nice USB keyboard (full size). It would be cheaper to have that than a $100 keyboard+battery module.
Quote:
on that note, when can i expect you guys to announce a smartpowerbook? ; )
When a desktop-capable PowerPC processor appears that fits the market. The only one right now is the MPC8610, and it's a little too expensive to compete except with really high end Atom systems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:40 pm 

I looked at the AlwaysInnovating Touch Book and now i understand why you say it is "top heavy".

PS i am looking forward for more details on your EfikaMX Open Client tomorow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:24 pm 

Quote:
No problem, that is a valid observation. The other thing is though is that having the battery in the screen and a battery in the keyboard makes it all the more heavy!
well, what do you know. i just stumbled across this today:

http://www.umpcportal.com/2009/08/touch ... ity-issues

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:15 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
well, what do you know. i just stumbled across this today:

http://www.umpcportal.com/2009/08/touch ... ity-issues
:)

I am pleased to say the build quality of the Efika MX Open Client and the Efika MX Smartbook are really quite superb. We will have some more details about the Open Client tomorrow (Monday).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:37 am 

apropos..
Quote:
When a desktop-capable PowerPC processor appears that fits the market. The only one right now is the MPC8610, and it's a little too expensive to compete except with really high end Atom systems.
is Aura's codedbase still maintained in a ppc-compliant state?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:39 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
apropos..
Quote:
is Aura's codedbase still maintained in a ppc-compliant state?
Yes and there are still PPC projects on the cards..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:05 pm 

Quote:
you just put a huge smile on my mug.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:00 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Don't let that stop you buying an ARM system to tide you over :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:12 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
there are still PPC projects on the cards.
Me too!
Quote:
Then, you shouldn't have said that! ;-) It was you how started this site for POWER developers...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:45 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Me too!
Quote:
Then, you shouldn't have said that! ;-) It was you how started this site for POWER developers...
Power as in empowerment :)

You won't see PPC hardware from us for a while yet. You can be waiting for a very very long time and missing out on a lot inbetween. Even then it won't run MorphOS until it's ported; it took 2 years for MorphOS for EFIKA to be released.

Are you really going to be that patient?