All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: MorphOS 2.0 RELEASED!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:46 pm 

MorphOS 2.0 has been released for Pegasos 1, Pegasos 2 and Efika!

Official news and download mirrors are here:
http://morphos.de/news.html

Release notes are here:
http://morphos.de/releasenotes-2.0.html

A description of the hardware requirements and installation procedures can be found here:
http://bigfoot.morphos-team.net/test/MorphOS.readme

:-D

Post subject: licence mode
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:48 pm 

good news and bad news !!

good news to see MorphOS 2 on date
bad news for the licence mode !

I have 3 hardware : One Peg I April 2, One Peg II and one Efika and the keyfile is one per hardware !
Total cost = 3*111 euros :-(

Is it possible to have a personal mode licence ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:58 am 

on efika :

ok boot scsi:0 morphos-2.0-efikainstall.img
error: bootimage format is of an unknown format
ok

Filesize=11252 Kbytes

Any idea ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:49 am 

Quote:
on efika :

ok boot scsi:0 morphos-2.0-efikainstall.img
error: bootimage format is of an unknown format
ok

Filesize=11252 Kbytes

Any idea ?
Seems like your file got damaged somehow. Redownload and copy over and try again.

Geit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:57 am 

correction : It know works but It's very strange

I put the img on my usb stick, I try to boot and It give an error. (fat32 my usb stick)
Then I boot with Debian on my efika, copy the same img to my debian filesystem and after a reboot, I try to boot with the img on the debian filesystem....and It works.....
Problem on the fat32 usb stick ?
strange

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:53 am 

booting on my efika is done via
boot hd0:0 /morphos-2.0-efikainstall.img

might work for others too. scsi:0 gives an error for me too.

I partitioned the hardrive to sfs. Downloaded this iso to that new partition. installed to that partition. Got an message that installation was successfull. Gave the efika a reboot.

boot hd:0 /boot.img

Now i get a message of morphos booting and stating that my efika has 105mb ram? And then nothing...

Must have done something wrong?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:23 am 

Now after MorphOS 2 installation. I reboot my Efika and when a boot like this :

boot hd:2 /boot.img (cause hd:1 contains debian)

there's a screen "MorphOS 2.0 loading..." and nothing after...

any idea ?

Post subject: 150e?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:54 am 

True it might be very efficient, but it supports no new hardware -only Efika and Pegasos I/II, which is a big minus IMHO. Also, the worst point is the price. 150e for a CLOSED source OS is ridiculously high, I'm sorry. I'd have no problem paying this kind of money, but staying in a development/business model that is stuck in the 90s is wrong. They don't have to adopt the GPL, there are plenty of other licenses that protect IP and are open source. I might be intrigued to try the OS myself, since it's supposed to be very efficient, but I'll refrain from doing that. It's not the price, but I refuse to work in a closed OS. Same reason I don't use Windows and MacOS X (which is cheaper btw).

Sorry, if I'm spoiling the fun for the rest, but I think it's still missing the point that's been proven numerous times in the industry: "if it ain't open it will fail".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:49 am 

Quote:

any idea ?
The MorphOS partition must be marked as bootable. If not, after the kernel load further OS loading is abandoned.
Boot the install.img again, check the system partition and set it to bootable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:50 am 

Quote:
[...]
I suspect the boot partition is not set to bootable. See answer above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:51 am 

Quote:

any idea ?
Right, boot flag must be set for the target partition. Thats different from most other os installations.

If that doesn't helps cold boot without entering linux before. Maybe some linux driver left a device in different state and driver init in MorphOS fails to init properly.

Geit

Post subject: Re: 150e?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:44 am 
Genesi

Quote:
They don't have to adopt the GPL, there are plenty of other licenses that protect IP and are open source. I might be intrigued to try the OS myself, since it's supposed to be very efficient, but I'll refrain from doing that. It's not the price, but I refuse to work in a closed OS. Same reason I don't use Windows and MacOS X (which is cheaper btw).

Sorry, if I'm spoiling the fun for the rest, but I think it's still missing the point that's been proven numerous times in the industry: "if it ain't open it will fail".
I agree.

It would be nice to see what the OS can do, and also interestingly what it cannot do.
An operating system is a commodity these days (look at Symbian), and there is no way I could recommend a closed source operating system (which has how many users/developers?) for a critical end-user devices/embedded systems aimed at mass production without having a good look at its internals and without proper source level testing.

Johan

Yep, I have a blog... PurpleAlienPlanet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:49 am 

I'm really disappointed. No, not with the idea of paying for it... With this attitude of "open source or else!". This is incredibly sad to see. (This is not aimed at anyone in particular more this dumbass "OSS or nothing!" attitude.)

I for one am celebrating the fact that these people have taken the time and effort to give us what appears to be a damn fine, high quality OS at a pretty reasonable price (I was expecting ~£100) and they are perfectly entitled to license it however they choose as the creators.

Nobody has the right to complain - you either do the hard work yourself as these guys did in which case you can do whatever the hell you want with it, you accept it appreciatively as a product they have every right to make money from (unless you personally work a job for free?), or you shut up and don't use it. There is no right to complain inherent in any of this unless you personally created something that required this much hard work and effort.

We finally have an OS that actually makes the Efika a useable computer rather than this sad little slow Linux hobbyist device mine was rapidly becoming. It's quick. It's stable. It's well-featured considering the hardware it has to run on. This is what the Efika is ideal for - and they've finally done it!
So when the first thing I read here is whining about licensing of all the utterly silly and trivial things (and yes, it IS pathetic)... well the MorphOS team deserves a damn sight more respect, gratitude and appreciation than anyone seems to be showing so far.
Good work MorphOS team if you're around here. I for one will happily be buying a license in a day or two when I have my cash ready. You've made the Efika into a real end-user friendly computer at last, one I can show to people without the response being "wow... that thing is SLOW", and I for one want to thank you for it. Good job! :D

Post subject: Re: 150e?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:02 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
I agree.
That's funny because VxWorks and Integrity do pretty well without being open source. In fact, running open source software such as Linux on medical and high-risk platforms (the usual example is a nuclear power plant) is probably the last thing any company would do. The Linux development process practically excludes it from being used. So does the fact that nobody has bothered to get it certified for mission critical applications.

I don't think there is any advantage here in having MorphOS become open source apart from people being able to get a version for free.

Last edited by Neko on Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:06 am 

yes i did not set the bootable property. Now i did and it works. :-)