All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:33 am 

Ok i managed to get morphos installed and booting.
But what now?

It seems to be missing a webrowser (is firefox available?)
Also is there an office suite for morphos?
If these are not availabe it think i will not spend 111 euros on it. If i were to spend that kind of money on it it should be able to replace my desktop. From what i seen of it so far it cannot.

I get the feeling that morphos is like beos and that is bad :-(

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:49 am 

Quote:
But what now?

Sputnik is delivered with MorphOS 2.0 and can be considered as a webbrowser.

Software of any kind can be found here: http://mos.aminet.net/

Geit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:48 pm 

Quote:
But what now?

Also is there an office suite for morphos?
If these are not availabe it think i will not spend 111 euros on it. If i were to spend that kind of money on it it should be able to replace my desktop. From what i seen of it so far it cannot.

I get the feeling that morphos is like beos and that is bad :-(
I'm actually typing this from within the MorphOS 2.0 Boot CD. A beta version of the "Sputnik" web browser is included in the "Applications" directory! :-)

Hmm, generally speaking, maybe a "walk-through" introductionary guide for "Amiga Outsiders" would be a good idea...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:50 am 

Yes for me as an "amiga outsider" that would be nice.

I will have a look for Sputnik.

Also any pointer for an office suite. I am in need for at least an word processor. Prefereably with ms word import/export so that i am not left out with the rest of the world where a lot of peopele seem to use somthing called like microsoft office :-)

As for printers i am troubled wether and how it is possible to setup an network printer.

[edit] via the morphos maillist i was told that geit should have info on this on his website: http://www.geit.de/eng_index.html [/edit]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:10 am 

Quote:
I am in need for at least an word processor.
i only know papyrus, but it's buggy and doesn't work well (and expensive).
Quote:
As for printers i am troubled wether and how it is possible to setup an network printer.
it's not possible. And only few printer drivers (old ones) are available.

Don't expect to find the features you'd get with Linux, MacOS or Windows, MorphOS is a hobby OS, for amiga fanatics and curious hobbyists.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:33 am 

Quote:
Quote:
it's not possible. And only few printer drivers (old ones) are available.
Don't expect to find the features you'd get with Linux, MacOS or Windows, MorphOS is a hobby OS, for amiga fanatics and curious hobbyists.
Of course its possible, just dont expect any printer to work. Most latest Brother printers are working, as they provide an LaserJet Emulations. Also Postscript printers are working. Several other printer support emulations. So if you want to support those companies, use their printers and not those GDI shit. Anyone tries to avoid x86, but for external hardware they buy cheapest shit and expect compatiblity everywhere.

Any yes its not possible for a small OS to support any printer out there, especially when hardware companies aren't willing to share any information about the hardware they sell. Postscript is and was always the best choice to be able to get it to run everywhere. That's known for ages.

Don't blame MorphOS developers for not supporting hardware, blame hardware developers for not allowing external programmer to provide drivers. How write a driver without any knowledge on the printer and even with docs how to create and test without hardware. Surely noone is able to buy and store all hardware needed to support it.

I am using two printers right now with MorphOS. One by using USB/Network connection and one by network only, without having any problems.

The network printing package is available on http://www.geit.de/eng_index.html inside the additional section.

Geit