That works well with things such as this:

We wrote about it here (and it only gets better with the 5121e):

http://bbrv.blogspot.com/2007/08/photov ... lient.html

R&B :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:36 am 
Genesi

Hi.

Running the EFIKA 1 on solar power, with hard drive and graphics card was no problem. The new EFIKA will work even better since you can eliminate the graphics card, which was consuming more power than the EFIKA 1 and hard drive combined.

We've been discussing over the weekend with some friends the feasibility of using a wind/solar combination for homes (Maria and I are looking into buying/building a home). Even here in Finland, that would mean saving a lot on the power bill.

Low power devices such as the EFIKA (1 or 2), used for more general purpose computing, can lower the energy requirements and lower the consumption of grid power when used in combination with solar and wind, especially in developing countries, where one installation can be financed by several households/organizations, instead of one per family, in order to lighten the financial burden while still providing enough power to run multiple EFIKA based systems.

Johan.

Yep, I have a blog... PurpleAlienPlanet

Post subject: 5121e ultra low power
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:54 pm 

If you want really low power with the 5121e,
you can try reducing the core voltage to 1.2 Volt
(1.08 Volt minimum), run the system and D-RAM clock at 125 Mhz, and run the PowerPc core at 250 Mhz.
You have high probability it will work, but there is no
guarantee.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:42 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
If you want really low power with the 5121e,
you can try reducing the core voltage to 1.2 Volt
(1.08 Volt minimum), run the system and D-RAM clock at 125 Mhz, and run the PowerPc core at 250 Mhz.
You have high probability it will work, but there is no
guarantee.
The real problem is getting any work done at that performance level. Web 2.0 apps like Google's and the obvious implications on media such as Flash or other scripted technologies are already a strain on systems such as the Efika.

There comes a point where lowering power means the system becomes all but useless. The great thing about the Efika is it's usable at 400MHz - drop the CPU frequency and you start not being able to do certain things.

If the voltage reduction and system clocks could be changed dynamically it would make for a great power saving technique.. I'm not sure it'd be feasible on any current Freescale SoC design (not Power Architecture anyway, I'm dead sure the i.MX has it :)