I downloaded openSUSE factory http://www.opensuse.org/Factory_Distribution
and installed it today. Here are my first experiences:
- PS/2 mouse finally works without workarounds!
- X still needs that workaround (editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf) to get started. That lands you in a configuration, where screen size is equal to the one used during installation, but frequency is set to 60Hz (which is very ugly on a 19" CRT...)
- Sax2 does not work from the command line (dies away always with the broken PCI configuration), but works fine from an already started X.
- multiple outputs (cloning, cinerama) are theoretically supported, but my machine froze, when tried it...
- networking seems to be fixed (NetworkManager)