All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:52 pm 

coffee break is over. And suse is working. Even ppracer is working at 9 fps. Although i did have to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf manualy for that to work.

Sound however is not working. On running alsamixer it states that no sound hardware is available.

After login i get fwm2 windows manager? Not xfce but then i did choose to login graphicaly so i cannot use startxfce2. Now yast sure has an option to change this, but where?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:57 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Is the coffee break over? :)
I'm curious as to why it takes so long. Does it reevaluate packages etc. even though you don't change any (for instance repartitioning)?
If you repartition, then it re-evaluates, if it still fits the given partition scheme, or any of the partitions are too small.
Quote:
It might be okay on a 3.4GHz Pentium QXA Quad Core but I think this is pointing out some major inefficiency in the way YaST evaluates it's settings..
It runs also nicely on Pegasos, which has just 2.5x faster CPU (by Mhz). I think, the difference is more the RAM size than CPU. Even with the XFCE installer, there is about 90MB of swapping, while with the FTP version over 300MB...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:30 pm 

Quote:
Sound however is not working. On running alsamixer it states that no sound hardware is available.
You need to load the modules to get it working (quoting myself):

Enable sound for the next boot by editing /etc/sysconfig/kernel with your favorite text editor (vi :-) ), and add these two parameters to 'MODULES_LOADED_ON_BOOT' to look like this:
Code:
MODULES_LOADED_ON_BOOT="snd_mpc52xx_ac97 snd_pcm_oss"

This enables sound for the next boot. To load modules immediately, you can use modprobe as root:
Code:
modprobe snd_mpc52xx_ac97 snd_pcm_oss
Quote:
After login i get fwm2 windows manager? Not xfce but then i did choose to login graphicaly so i cannot use startxfce2. Now yast sure has an option to change this, but where?
You can add the following line to your ~/.bashrc
Code:
export WINDOWMANAGER=startxfce4
Or you can edit /etc/sysconfig/windowmanager and add 'startxfce4' to DEFAULT_WM. Or you can use YaST to edit the file (yast2 -> system -> /etc/sysconfig editor)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:52 pm 

I did have those lines mentioned for sound. But as it turned out you need to have root access if you want to use the alsamixer. Actually i need root access if i want to use sound in ppracer. It does worse things to the framerate < 1fps with hardware acceleration. I will try to change the window manager later this weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:00 pm 

I must admit, that I used alsamixer as root, as I used audio only with 'mpd' (Music Player Daemon), a network controllable media player daemon.

OK, problem found: one needs to be in the audio group to be able to access audio devices in SUSE. Add yourself to the audio group in /etc/group by using a text editor or YaST2 to access sound as a regular user. You need to log out and relogin, if you were logged in during the change.

I'll check it out, why it does not happen automagically...

Have a nice weekend!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:38 am 

changing the window manager did not work. Instead i changed to login method to console. So now i can execute startxfce4 from commandline. Works nicely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:29 am 

Quote:
changing the window manager did not work. Instead i changed to login method to console. So now i can execute startxfce4 from commandline. Works nicely.
Strange. I tested both methods, and they worked for me. Common mistake, also by me sometimes is an extra s, I mean 'windowsmanager' instead of windowmanager' :-) Also, I just see, that I forgot to mention, that after editing anything under /etc/sysconfig one needs to run 'SuSEconfig'. But you use my preferred method now: text console with startxfce4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:18 pm 

as normal user you are not allowed to mount an usb stick you need to be root for that also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:21 am 

If you are in XFCE (or GNOME/KDE), the USB stick will appear as an icon your desktop, and you can mount/umount it as a user by right clicking on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:23 pm 

The icons are there, but you cannot mount/unmount it unless your are root or superuser. Could this be like the audio thing?

Another thing that confuses me is using variables in shell scripts.

E.g.
if i use export MYVARNAME=test
in the script i can do
echo $MYVARNAME and it outputs test as expected.
But when the script is finished an echo $MYVARNAME is empty. The same goes when i execute another shel script from within the current script.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:36 pm 

Quote:
Another thing that confuses me is using variables in shell scripts.

E.g.
if i use export MYVARNAME=test
in the script i can do
echo $MYVARNAME and it outputs test as expected.
But when the script is finished an echo $MYVARNAME is empty.
This is the expected behavior :-) 'export' helps to make the variable to subprocesses, but not to the parent shell. If you don't use 'export', just use plain 'BLA=bla', then the variable is not available to sub processes.
Quote:
The same goes when i execute another shel script from within the current script.
'export' is just for this situation, and it works:
Code:
efika103:~ # cat a.sh
#!/bin/sh
export BLA=bla
./b.sh
efika103:~ # cat b.sh
#!/bin/sh
echo $BLA
efika103:~ # ./a.sh
bla
efika103:~ #

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:50 pm 

Quote:
The icons are there, but you cannot mount/unmount it unless your are root or superuser. Could this be like the audio thing?
Yes, it's exactly the same problem. On the machine I tested this, I have GDM (Gnome Display Manager) running. It interacts with ConsoleKit:
Quote:
ConsoleKit is a system daemon for tracking what users are logged into
the system and how they interact with the computer (e.g. which keyboard
and mouse they use).
ConsoleKit helps to put the user into group 'audio' when sitting at the console, which means, the user has access to the sound card. And it seems to grant enough rights to mount/umount USB drives (remember, GDM runs as root).

When 'startxfce4' is executed by the user from the command line, it is run as the user, not as root, so these extra rights can't be granted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:02 pm 

Thanks for the explanation.

The scitech mgl sources expect you to execute an shell script and afterwards run an build command.
As a temporary measure i used sh as the last line of the script and got an shell with the environment vars working.

As for mounting i will see if there is a matching group for that to put the user in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:22 pm 

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation.
You are welcome. I just figured it out a few minutes ago :-)
Quote:
The scitech mgl sources expect you to execute an shell script and afterwards run an build command.
As a temporary measure i used sh as the last line of the script and got an shell with the environment vars working.
Here is a modified example:
Code:
efika103:~ # cat a.sh
#!/bin/sh
export BLA=bla
efika103:~ # cat b.sh
#!/bin/sh
echo $BLA
efika103:~ # source a.sh
efika103:~ # ./b.sh
bla
efika103:~ #
Quote:
As for mounting i will see if there is a matching group for that to put the user in.
Nono, as far as I can see.