All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:15 am 
Genesi

Hi all,

We noticed that the Efika sometimes does not start from the first time. Symptoms are a constant green led after powering up without disk activity.
I've uploaded a kernel (link below) which fixes this issue. It's a hack for now, and is not yet in the kernel repo so use it as-is for the time being.

http://193.239.210.15/~johan/linux-imag ... _armel.deb

You can look at the diff linked to below to see the changes. If you're wondering if it's only the additions of printk() statements, you are correct. There appears to be a timing issue somewhere and the printk()'s add enough delay for it not to occur. We'll trace down where exactly the issue is, but due to other priorities this is not very high on the todo list...

http://193.239.210.15/~johan/diff.txt

Johan.

Yep, I have a blog... PurpleAlienPlanet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:34 am 

That's fine!
I have installed on Ubuntu on Efika Mx, is needed even for
Debian armhf that I have installed now?

Thanks

Roberto
Quote:
Hi all,

We noticed that the Efika sometimes does not start from the first time. Symptoms are a constant green led after powering up without disk activity.
I've uploaded a kernel (link below) which fixes this issue. It's a hack for now, and is not yet in the kernel repo so use it as-is for the time being.

You can look at the diff linked to below to see the changes. If you're wondering if it's only the additions of printk() statements, you are correct. There appears to be a timing issue somewhere and the printk()'s add enough delay for it not to occur. We'll trace down where exactly the issue is, but due to other priorities this is not very high on the todo list...

http://193.239.210.15/~johan/diff.txt

Johan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:29 pm 
Genesi

Hi.

Yes, it's also needed on ArmHF. Be aware that there are some video playback issues with the kernel I linked above. We're looking into that...

Johan.

Yep, I have a blog... PurpleAlienPlanet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:00 pm 

Quote:

On my Efika (received yesterday) 'sometimes' does not quite hit the spot. Roughly on every second boot I observe this symptom.

Besides, does this kernel supersede the one provided by markos on 26 Feb for the armhf debian image?:
linux-image-2.6.31.14.27-efikamx_2012.02_armhf.deb

Should we replace the latter with your kernel even though yours is armel?
(Sorry if this is a stupid question, I am just getting started with this machine...)

TIA
Riggs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:04 pm 

Quote:
Besides, does this kernel supersede the one provided by markos on 26 Feb for the armhf debian image?:
linux-image-2.6.31.14.27-efikamx_2012.02_armhf.deb

Should we replace the latter with your kernel even though yours is armel?
(Sorry if this is a stupid question, I am just getting started with this machine...)
I will provide an armhf one tomorrow at the latest, please stay tuned as more stuff is on the way :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:24 pm 

I am using the smarttops to run openCV for a research project. I do not know much about linux under the hood, so please forgive my ignorance. The smarttop I have is running out-of-the-box maverick, and it fails to boot in the way described above.

How can I install the hacked kernel via an sd card? I have a mac.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:49 pm 

Quote:
I am using the smarttops to run openCV for a research project. I do not know much about linux under the hood, so please forgive my ignorance. The smarttop I have is running out-of-the-box maverick, and it fails to boot in the way described above.

How can I install the hacked kernel via an sd card? I have a mac.
The SmartTop I got this past summer would not boot at all. When Genesi checked it was discovered it was shipped from the wrong bin. After a couple weeks they sent an SD image, which when I loaded it and rebooted the machine came up and has run perfect since then.

And I use PowerPC Macs...

Science, n. Investigation of natural phenomena.
Engineering, n. Domestication of natural phenomena.
Technology, n. Domesticated natural phenomena.

--

\"It is essential for automatic computation that, instead of containing every single instruction necessary to carry out the program, the coded program include methods for generating instructions which are needed to carry out the program. ... One measure of the extent to which an automatic digital computer is used effectively is given by the ratio of the number of instructions formed in the machine to that of the instructions inserted into the machine initially.\" Mathematical Machines Volume I Digital Computers ©1961 Francis J. Murray

If so, then why is this ratio zero on most modern computer software?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:06 am 

Quote:

I will provide an armhf one tomorrow at the latest, please stay tuned as more stuff is on the way :)
We are still tuned ! ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:30 pm 

Quote:
Quote:

We are still tuned ! ;-)
+1 :-)